City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Why do you like reading? If you do, that is.

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Astrid . My friends ask me why do you like reading so much? And my answer is its an escape from reality. If the book is better than my life I live in another world and enjoy it. If the book is worse, it makes me appreciate reality

Gabby I Just love reading...there's really no way to put it.

Brandy When i read i can escape reality! It lets me believe in fairy tales. I Learn from books. It keeps my brain fresh and takes me places i might not ever be able to see.

Maximum Lorenz Lucil wrote: "My friends ask me why do you like reading so much? And my answer is its an escape from reality. If the book is better than my life I live in another world and enjoy it. If the book is worse, it mak..."

I totally agree!

Heather Reading improves your mind. It expands your imagination. For those 8 or more hours, those people are friends or enemies. You feel what they feel. Your going through what they are going through. It's much more inter-active than TV. TV has it's place. But it rarely draws you in like a good book. Books help you heal- your body, soul and mind.

Lola i completely agree

Jeni Because I read, I've been to ancient Egypt, Atlantis, Scotland during the Rising, through space to other planets, and to the center of the earth. I've treated with fairies, goblins, orcs, Tharks, aliens, and Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.

I've ridden spaceships, trains, dirigibles, horses, Thestrals, brooms, airplanes, and arks.

I've talked to queens, kings, princes, vampires, witches, wizards, warlocks, shadowhunters, hobbits, and dwarves.

If I didn't read, I would have missed so many adventures, tragedies, romances, and comedies.

Reading brings anything and everything to life.

Katie When I read, I get to escape my life, if only just for a little while. I meet new characters that I grow attached to. They are kind of like the friends I wish I had. I can go to another different world without leaving my room.

Gina Edwards When I read I get to experience people, places,things and various types of life styles, fables and a myriad worlds that I would of never been able to experience in my own life.

Books broaden my experiences, give me different perspectives and views, lets me watch characters grow or degrade to those I love or hate.

I've learned so much through reading, reading allows me to be an explorer, when I come across something I don't know about or I find interesting I will go on line and look up more information.

Thanks to books my mind is a never ending book that is constantly written in.

Kristie When I read, I feel as if I am being teleported to another world. You actually feel you are living in the book. <3

Miriam tingberg This is the best way to describes why i love to read:
I love books. I love that moment when you open one and sink into it, you can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting than yours will ever be.
-Elizabeth scott

Allison Chan I like creating my own stories, and by reading books I can get knowledge of different writing methods and new ideas.

Gabby Heather wrote: "Reading improves your mind. It expands your imagination. For those 8 or more hours, those people are friends or enemies. You feel what they feel. Your going through what they are going through. It'..."

Couldn't have said it better!

Gabby Makaylia wrote: "As one of my favorite quote states: "A life without books is like a body without a soul"
i couldnt agree more"

WOOT, WOOT! :D

message 15: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby It's just an amazing escape from your troubles and you picture it all! Like a setting in a book can be pictured anyway you want it to look, instead of like in a movie where its all set out for you; READING IS JUST AMAZING :D!!!!

message 16: by Emily (last edited Dec 28, 2012 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily Hard Question.

Anyway, asking me why I like to read, is like asking me why I need oxygen. It, for me is a part of life.
I read to escape reality, meet new people and have adventures that I would never have......

:-)

Abbigail Why do I read? Why do I lock myself in my room for at least 5 hours straight? Those are the same questions to me as 'How do I keep from going insane?' I read to keep myself sane. If I didn't read my world would come crashing down and everything in it would disappear. Reading is like living through a different person and getting to live life a new way. When you read, it really is an escape in the best form of the word. I can be spontaneous, brave, loved, and heartbroken. I can live several lives, just through my one.

message 18: by ~Cassie~ (last edited Dec 29, 2012 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Cassie~ Why do I read?
I read because it fills this insatiable need inside me to stretch my imagination to its limits.
I read to escape from reality and all the problems and issues it contains.
I read to explore the 'could haves' and 'what ifs.'
I read to better myself. Every book has some insight on life that can be used to better myself.
I read for enjoyment. I love to read, and it entertains me.
I read to learn. Every book can bestow upon you some fact or another, should you choose to acknowledge it.
I read because I can.

Kirstyn I like to read because I find it interesting to delve into the mindset and actions of people who are not me, and what better way to do that than with a good book?

Stéphanie I love reading very much. I have an older sister and brother who don't understand why I would rather read than go out. I think that I have a few reasons why I love reading, But the biggest reason is because I just like it. It makes me feel good. And it makes me feel like I can dissapear. It's a good feeling. Like i fly off into another life and world and I can totally forget my own life. I know.. I probably sound like a psychopath or something.

But what I don't understand is why people sound so surprised that I would rather read a book than watch tv or go out. Books are full of knowledge and I believe that the people who REALLY like to read. can easillier understand someone in the ''real'' world, because we often enough delve into someone else's life.

Okay my english is bad. and people are going to think that i am a psycho or something..

Stéphanie Makaylia wrote: "Its kind of hard to explain. I agree that it escapes reality but its to me better than TV. It creates this whole other world with characters that you wish were real. Its basically a hobby that you ..."

I think that the biggest diffrence between tv and a book is that it is all scetched out on tv. you don't have to have any imagination for it.

Abbigail Stéphanie wrote: "Makaylia wrote: "Its kind of hard to explain. I agree that it escapes reality but its to me better than TV. It creates this whole other world with characters that you wish were real. Its basically ..."

I much rather read than go out and party with my friends too! When you read it is like you are already out!

Stéphanie Abbigail wrote: "Stéphanie wrote: "Makaylia wrote: "Its kind of hard to explain. I agree that it escapes reality but its to me better than TV. It creates this whole other world with characters that you wish were re..."

Exactly! Very good to know that I ain't alone in this :)

Abbigail And I don't think that sounds like you're a psycho!

Shawn Jeni wrote: "Because I read, I've been to ancient Egypt, Atlantis, Scotland during the Rising, through space to other planets, and to the center of the earth. I've treated with fairies, goblins, orcs, Tharks, a..."

This is an awesome answer! Couldn't have said it better!

Trina Reid Reading is my way of relaxing and escaping to a new place. If I could I would read 24/7.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

When I read I can escape my life of studying almost all day and join a whole new world I could never have imagined. It's like dreaming of a unimaginable life :D

Emily Completely agree. Very nicely put. :-)

message 29: by Sif (last edited Jan 23, 2013 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sif I read because I love the world of books - simply because I know it isn't real. It's a world where I can escape a few hours and don't have to worry about anything else. If I think life is too boring or hard, then I read a book. Books are companions in life. They make you feel happines and joy, regret and sadness, make you laugh and cry. When I read I don't live one life - I live as many lifes in as many different ways as I want to. I read because I can't imagine not to. When I read the persons and places become as real as anything in my actual life and I experience a lot more, than if I didn't read.