Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

Second movie??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (hailey421) | 12 comments Does anyone know anything about another movie??

message 2: by Krhaas (new)

Krhaas | 6 comments I will watch another movie if it comes out, but I doubt they will! Besides how are they going to make 19 movies with the same people?! They be like 50 once they were done. Makes more sense to make it into a series.

message 3: by daniela (new)

daniela (dkeveryday) | 1 comments They should make this into a TV show; I think it's got perfect storylines for that!

message 4: by Nita (new)

Nita | 3 comments A TV show would be perfect!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments Nita wrote: "A TV show would be perfect!"

I agree. I think there are way too many books to keep making movies. Plus I think they lack the substance needed for a movie. Not knocking them. I read them all. Just saying a TV show be great!

message 6: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 12 comments I' m surprised this hasn't been picked up for a series yet. Especially when you think of Rizzolli and Isles and there are less of those books. Then again maybe there is a reason they haven't.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) They should make it a series.I would watch it but cast it differently thna the movie.

message 8: by Denny (new)

Denny | 5 comments What worked for Columbo would be perfect for the Plum series do 4-6 per year,heavely advertised for the first 3-4 and then it should take off.
We have not had a good monthly series since Peter Falks great run as the bumbling but smart good guy,kinda remimds us of Stephanie Plum
Heres to a monthly series

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Denny wrote: "What worked for Columbo would be perfect for the Plum series do 4-6 per year,heavely advertised for the first 3-4 and then it should take off.
We have not had a good monthly series since Peter Fal..."

Sounds good to me.

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Borek | 1 comments Omg thank you! I love Katherine Heigl but I have to admit she almost ruined the series for me. I was highly disappointed when I saw she was cast as Stephanie bc she resembled nothing of the character. I almost felt it was a sellout to try and bring in box office dollars since the movie was never screened by critics before its official release.

I def agree there's way too many books to keep it as movies (Especially since the series is still ongoing). I'd LOVE to see it as a TV series. And hopefully with a complete recast of characters. I agree the characters are too old. I hate to say it since I'm a fan of all of the characters on different things but One for the Money was way off. And it also felt rushed. Rushed with horrible Jersey Accents (minus Vinnie and Connie) Like I almost felt like I couldn't keep up with how fast the scenes were flying by and how quickly their lines came out - like it was a competition to see who could get theirs finished first.
Make it a series. Recast the characters. Def hire new script / set people And by God give this series the respect it deserves! LOL

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amatta80) daniela wrote: "They should make this into a TV show; I think it's got perfect storylines for that!"

I definitely agree with that.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura i came across some info on IMDB about a TV movie of One for the Money in 2002 starring Lynn Collins (Stephanie) and Tyler Christopher (Morelli). i can't find any more info about it?? was it never made? if it was i want to see it???
i agree about a series! that would be great! i also agree w the recasting, which is likely w it being brought to TV. i really dig the actors for the movie but they weren't right! i like O'Mara but he IS NOT the Italian stallion we know Morelli to be. Sunjata is yummy but he is not big enough to be Ranger! that said, their acting for the role wasn't bad but us die hards...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe a television show would be the best way to bring this series to life. Simply call it Plum or By The Numbers. I think the actress Max Black from 2 Broke Girls would be an awesome Stephanie. Leave Sherri Shepherd as Lula...pretty awesome. As a television series they could get Janet to write seperate storylines from the books so there is more Plum.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Laura wrote: "i came across some info on IMDB about a TV movie of One for the Money in 2002 starring Lynn Collins (Stephanie) and Tyler Christopher (Morelli). i can't find any more info about it?? was it never ..."
It's about 2 years or so old already. It was cute.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) | 8 comments Do we really want a second movie ?
I liked the first movie but nearly everyone in this group didn't .
Even if another movie came to be the casting choices of our members suggest it wouldn't work for everyone .
Lets stick to the books where everyone is as we like them , doh!

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Mcgroarty | 1 comments I would like to see another movie and for the most part I liked the cast but we need a new Joe Morelli- someone who looks Italian!!!! I would love to see Joe Mangiello - from Tru Blood - I think if they got some chemistry going between Stephanie and Joe the whole movie would have been a lot better!!! It was also hard going into the first movie because we already knew so much more than the movie showed - my husband probably liked it more that I did - he hadn't read the book.

message 17: by J. (new)

J. Greene (j_greene) The movie was…okay. Decent at best. I just didn't quite feel the cast portrayed the characters well and unless they can come up with different cast well more specifically a different Stephanie, Morelli, and Ranger (wait that's the movie *shrugs shoulders*) I can't get excited by a second. Somebody said they would be fifty if they did 19 movies?! Lol the only way they would be fifty is if they did them all back to back. They would more so probably be a 100 or older lol because now we'll have twenty.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I still think making a television series is a better option. They can mix and match the cases and FTAs from the books but create new inner dilemas for Stephanie and the gang. More room for character development and such.

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita | 1 comments Mark wrote: "Do we really want a second movie ?
I liked the first movie but nearly everyone in this group didn't .
Even if another movie came to be the casting choices of our members suggest it wouldn't wor..."

Yep, no one would ever agree on characters!!

message 20: by Denny (new)

Denny | 5 comments As ive said before,i know there has to be aged people like myself who remember the way Columbo,McCloud and such were made, they rotated with different shows, were i think 1-1/2 hours long and ran approx.every 4-6 weeks,i think its time too bring back the format.
Hint,hint you producers out there,lol

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Denny, I agree...

message 22: by Tracy A (new)

Tracy A (tracypixel) | 9 comments I was very disappointed by the casting in the first movie. Ranger was a wimp compared to how he's described in the books and Morelli was ugly in comparison. (Or maybe it's just my imagination that runs away)
The only character that I thought was near perfect was Sheri Shepard as Lula.

A TV series would be the best thing ever! But one fears a crash and burn as was with James Patterson's Women's Murder Club. Whoever cast that series, had clearly never even read one of the books. The characters didn't even resemble the characters in the books.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) That first movie was painful to watch.
I actually hope there are no more, while I enjoy reading the books, they are quite simple and don't translate well onto film.
It's funny to read Stephanie say "damn skippy" but hearing it in a movie, it just sounded stupid.
It might work if they kept the basis of the characters, but would really have to add a lot to the plot and the dialogue...plus get better actors.

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula (calamitykitten) | 2 comments I haven't even seen the movie yet as after all the bad reviews I'm afraid it will ruin the books for me.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

It isn't nearly as funny as the books, but Lula is great. The series should be a television show.

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess (ninjaturtlesaregnarly) | 9 comments The movie is what you expect a book movie to be, it's not great, but it's not awful. They change too much and the casting is a disappointment, except personally I think Lula, Vinnie, and Connie were cast perfectly.

I think this one make a better tv show though, there's a lot of books so it gives them a lot to work with, plus it'd be nice to have something to look forward to on nights it was on, lol

message 27: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments I love the series but loathed the movie. Unless they were to recast the entire thing I doubt I would see it

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) Did not like the casting of the first movie either. The characters weren't even close to what I had imagined them. Sometimes, its just to leave well enough alone. I don't usually see movies after I have read a book for this reason. I get into my imagination what the characters look like and I am usually disappointed if I see the movie. I would rather keep them in my mind.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 223 comments Mod
Tracy A wrote: "I was very disappointed by the casting in the first movie. Ranger was a wimp compared to how he's described in the books and Morelli was ugly in comparison. (Or maybe it's just my imagination that ..."

I agree a tv series would be better but it's risky!

message 30: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments ^ if it were done by a cable company and not one of the major networks it could actually work as a tv series. Well if they were willing to stretch a mystery over 2-3 episodes...or heck like they did with Veronic Mars, one overarching mystery worked out over an entire series with smaller issues for the weekly shows

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura I really try not to be that fan that is impossible to please w casting based on my expectations of a fictional & often subjective character. i can live with the Ranger casting ONLY because the picture painted is so few real people. but Morelli! they cast a white guy! i like the actor but he's not Italian looking! he doesn't look like a mobster when he wears a suit which is why he is a plain clothes cop.
i agree that a series would be good only because the movies takes so much out the story loses substance and the many things we love about it! that said, i hope "they" figure it out and try a 2nd movie!

message 32: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments A few friends of mine at work discussed casting way back before the 1st movie.

Side note is it odd that i am a guy and a fan if this series?

Back to casting. There were only a few people we agreed on. Sandra Bullock would have made a perfect Stephanie in her younger days and the Rock is Ranger

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 291 comments KL wrote: "A few friends of mine at work discussed casting way back before the 1st movie.

Side note is it odd that i am a guy and a fan if this series?

Back to casting. There were only a few people we agre..."

You are completely correct in your casting. Unfortunately, you are about 10 years too late. If the movies had been made when the books were written Sandra Bullock and The Rock were it. Hands down, no question. I think it is hot that a guy likes the series.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 291 comments KL wrote: "^ if it were done by a cable company and not one of the major networks it could actually work as a tv series. Well if they were willing to stretch a mystery over 2-3 episodes...or heck like they di..."

Laura wrote: "I really try not to be that fan that is impossible to please w casting based on my expectations of a fictional & often subjective character. i can live with the Ranger casting ONLY because the pict..."

The books would make an awesome TV series. If not optioned yet, the new Heist series would also be great.

message 35: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Azzelino | 1 comments Sorry, ladies, no offense to your suggestions BUT for true Ranger appeal, someone for the macho AND the romantic, you can't go wrong with LLCoolJ.

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments I think LL Cool J would be a better Tank than Ranger. I liked Sunjata for Ranger because (like someone else mentioned) there isn't really a person that i think is the perfect Ranger. I think the character was portrayed wrong. I love Sunjata's character Briggs on Graceland and think he is a terrific characterization of what Ranger should have been. I didn't like O'Mara as Morelli. Heigl physically was fine as Stephanie but not her acting. Sandra Bullock would have been great but she's too old now. I liked Sherri Shepard as Lula and I was torn on Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur. I love her but she wasn't exactly what I saw as her Grandma.

message 37: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments Also, JE mentioned at a book club interview this year that Sony is considering the Plums for a tv series. I think it would be great as a series.

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris Zook | 3 comments I liked the chemistry between O'Mara and Heigl and I loved Sherri Shepard as Lulu. I thought Debbie Reynolds didn't look old enough for Grandma Mazur even she's old. I picture a Betty White type old for Grandma. I'm not sure about the guy that played Ranger, I thought more of a Rock or Vin Diesel type to play him. But after 20 books everyone has it set in their minds who should play who and no one is going to be totally happy because we all have different opinions.

message 39: by Dorrie (new)

Dorrie Kaetzel (Dorrie61) | 3 comments Brittany wrote: "Also, JE mentioned at a book club interview this year that Sony is considering the Plums for a tv series. I think it would be great as a series."

It would be really awesome if they made it into a series. But it's really hard to think who could play the parts, every time I read one of these now, I keep picturing Sunjata as Ranger & I loved him. I watch him on Graceland and damn that man is fine..

message 40: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 5 comments I prefer to keep my books in book form and avoid movies. Sure hope the books keep coming and no TV series show up. If the movie is as bad as the reviews here what would happen when they try to break things into weekly segments.

message 41: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments Vicki wrote: "I prefer to keep my books in book form and avoid movies. Sure hope the books keep coming and no TV series show up. If the movie is as bad as the reviews here what would happen when they try to brea..."

I can understand how you feel and yet I think part of it is how things are handled. If done right you can get something totally enjoyable, such as Bones.

message 42: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Hedin | 1 comments Isla Fisher as Stephanie Plum? Benjamin Bratt as Joe and Dwayne Johnson as Ranger.

But when I first read One for the money 1997. The people was Sandra Bullock as Steph. sylvester stallone as Joe and Steven Seagal as Ranger.
But that was 17 years ago.

message 43: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 29 comments Bullock would have made a great Steph back in the day

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 291 comments K.L. wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I prefer to keep my books in book form and avoid movies. Sure hope the books keep coming and no TV series show up. If the movie is as bad as the reviews here what would happen when th..."

In fact I have two more book series, besides Bones, I really enjoy as TV series: King & Maxwell and Rizzoli & Isles. In fact, one of the minor characters is my choice for a current Joe. I don't know his name, but he is tall, dark, handsome and is really Italian. He plays a kind of doufus on the show, but I think he could carry it off.

message 45: by Dallass (new)

Dallass (tundrablue) | 3 comments After seeing the miscasting in One for the Money, I'm not quite sure I'd brave watching another SP movie. A well done TV series however... ;-D

message 46: by Julissa (new)

Julissa | 2 comments I love to see a tv series

message 47: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 291 comments As it just so happens, I watched One for the Money yesterday and this time around, I didn't think is was so bad. My daughter and I were watching Chick Flix on Netflix and compared so some it was actually pretty good.

message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane Todd (sdianetodd) | 1 comments I have watched One for the Money three times alone and finally got my daughter to watch with me the fourth time and now she's hooked and ready to start reading too. I told her the books were way more detailed and I could probably see Cloris Leachman as Grandma Mazur but Debbie Reynolds was ok I guess. Everyone else was fine with me. No one expects movies to be as good as the book because some things are always missing or it's not who you pictured. Still it's a great movie and I would LOVE to see more of them or see a weekly show. I would definitely have it on my DVR list.

message 49: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) | 8 comments Diane wrote: "I have watched One for the Money three times alone and finally got my daughter to watch with me the fourth time and now she's hooked and ready to start reading too. I told her the books were way m..."

i agree with you although most people in this group disliked the movie , i also thought it was good

message 50: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (djames1213) | 5 comments All...I found out today that Lionsgate Films owns the character rights for the Stephanie Plum novels. I wrote them today asking if they were going to make any more movies (even if only straight to DVD or a TV mini series). I think we should spread the word and get more movies made. Flood them with emails wanting more! I personally thought the casting of Stephanie, Joe, Ranger and Lula were great in One for the Money and would LOVE to see them come back. I looked up their contact online and you can send emails to general-inquiries@lionsgate.com.

I want more movies!! I just read all 21 main novels as well as the 4 "in between the numbers" novels in just 16 days...while working full time. I couldn't put them down and I was laughing my butt off. I'm ready for more!!!

« previous 1