Classics for Beginners discussion

Old Group Watch > Les Miserables (January 13)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I guess, since January we're reading this it would be perfect to discuss adaptations of Les Miserables. I have not been able to see the stageplay yet but I wish too! I have been able to see the 1998 version with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush which I fully recommend. I also plan on seeing the new version by Tom Hooper.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Theresa wrote: "Oh, what a good idea! I've never seen it. I am going to get this book in ebook format for my Kindle. Do you think that translation will be sufficient?"

What translation is it?

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I've heard that it is supposed to be a pretty decent one. I think the older ones are fairly good like that one but there might be some not annotated French which means you might want to look words up.

message 4: by Listra (new)

Listra (museforsaken) | 10 comments I like that translation. It gives the French lines at times, so that we can feel the intensity of the lines here and there.

message 5: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I have not seen the stage or any movie version, but do own Les Miserable: The Dream Cast in Concert (10th anniversary special) and have seen the 25th Anniversary Concert on PBS.

I also have the soundtrack on CD. Absolutely love the music and hope I do get to see it some day. Would love to see the current film adaptation, too.

message 6: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Look a new one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/
Have seen this advertised and it looks really good. :)

message 7: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Is it a coincidence that our group reads have coincided with releases of new cinema? We've had Anna Karenina, now this!

message 8: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) Should we see if any book-based movies are due out in February and March so we can keep the trend going? : D

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Nicolle wrote: "Look a new one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/
Have seen this advertised and it looks really good. :)"

Watched it. Loved it. Warning though, everything is done in singing and not talking at all!

And I don't think it is a coincidence. I think people are alerted to a book due to a film and want to then go and see it!

message 10: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Well if it promotes classic reading then it's a good thing right?!

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Nicolle wrote: "Well if it promotes classic reading then it's a good thing right?!"

Definitely. It's one reason I love adaptations. It promotes a spike in people reading the books...

message 12: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 11 comments I just saw the new on-film musical in the theater. Verdict? So, so,...SO good. Anne Hathaway was freakin amazing, and all the actors should really be proud of the work they did. Simply beautiful.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Kyle wrote: "I just saw the new on-film musical in the theater. Verdict? So, so,...SO good. Anne Hathaway was freakin amazing, and all the actors should really be proud of the work they did. Simply beautiful."

Agreed. I love the new version and the 1998 version both. They have favourite actors and execute the ideas really well.

message 14: by Listra (new)

Listra (museforsaken) | 10 comments The new version is surprisingly amazing. I have prepared myself for disappointment but was thrilled instead.

But my favourite is still Gerard Depardieu's 2000 version.

message 15: by Ana (new)

Ana | 8 comments the great gatsby s coming soon but i think no sooner than may

i will watch the movie after i finish the book which is nice but very slow i think i need at least one more month, is it just me?

message 16: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) The Great Gatsby, starring Leonardo DeCaprio, is out May 10.

message 17: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 131 comments Les Miserables is still on my TBR, but I thought the musical (stage and movie) was crap. It has no Umph! to it, you don't come out of it with a particular song running through your head--it's all the same tune. Sure some great tenors have sung the role of Jean Valjean; but take away the performers and it's nothing. And the movie was a lumbering mess.

I liked the 1998 version with Liam Neeson, but the 1952 film with Michael Rennie and Robert Newton outshines them all.

Still, I want to read the book.

message 18: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I respectfully disagree about the music. I often have a couple different songs from the musical running through my head. Of course, it is possible that, having some training in classical music, my ear is more atuned to the subtleties of the music.

A friend received the new movie version for her birthday, so hope to be borrowing it from her soon. I haven't seen any of the previous film versions, though I have seen both the 10th and 25th anniversary specials.

message 19: by Squire (last edited Apr 30, 2013 03:09PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 131 comments Yeah, my sister sings opera and teaches music and she loves the musical, but hates the movie. Me, I'm the only member of my family who is tone-deaf, so that might have something to do with it. But I play the hand I'm dealt, that's all I can do. I learned not to take anybody else's word on something (listen, and file it away for future reference), but to go experience it myself.

message 20: by Listra (new)

Listra (museforsaken) | 10 comments Squire wrote: "Yeah, my sister sings opera and teaches music and she loves the musical, but hates the movie. Me, I'm the only member of my family who is tone-deaf, so that might have something to do with it. But ..."

Yeah. In the movie, the singing might not be the best in the world (in fac it is quite painful to the ear at times), but the setting and the connection to the novel is better than regular musical. That's why I could endure it.

message 21: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 131 comments Well, they're actors not singers. all they need are pleasing voices. Jackman was tremendous, best work of his career. Hatheway was good too; the problem with the movie was the direction of it I laughed at poor Russell Crowe (Amanda Seyfried came off better).

Maybe when I read the book (eventually), it'll mean more to me.

message 22: by J (new)

J C | 2 comments I dread watching anything related to "Les Miserables," maybe because I love, love, love the novel, and have made my own image of it... But I keep hearing and reading all these comments about how amazing this new version based on the musical is. Maybe I'll give it a chance.