Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

The Bookish Common Room > 2013 Goals: What are your reading goals this year?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
So we all have the goal of reading a certain amount of books each year - whether you are in the 50's club or the sky's the limit club. But we are some of your other reading goals? Do you have a series of books that you want to finish reading? Or expand your reading into another genre? Maybe tackle some of those chunksters that have been gathering dust on your shelves (I know that I have plenty of them)?

Stop by here and let us know what some of your goals are? But be warned - your goals might end up as a mini-challenge during the year ;)

message 2: by Dee (last edited Dec 26, 2012 06:28PM) (new)

ok - so here are my goals for 2013

- read at least 12 books of my 50 classics in 5 years challenge list (Here)
- read at least 1 non-fiction/biography/memoir a month
- finish up at least 2 of the series that I currently have in progress (series TBD)
- finish up the Middle East part of my trip around the world reading (7 countries to go - Cyprus, Lebanon, Kuwait, Oman, Palestine, Qatar)

I think that will keep me busy

message 3: by Rachael (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:17PM) (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) Mine are more author specific goals. I just kind of read what I feel like during the year.

Finish as many Jodi Picoult books as possible
Finish the books I haven't read yet of Sarah Dessen's and Susane Colasanti
Read more Nicholas Sparks books
Read more books that are being made into movies.
Reread The Time Traveler's Wife
Read more series.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Every year i go for a minimum of 50 books for the year so i'm going to continue along that line and I want to keep my reading varied. Read the game of thrones series and possibly read les miserables this year as well

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana | 7 comments i will keep my goal at 50 books - one book per week

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Many of the books on my list are Man Booker Prize winners but I tend to stray from my list quite a bit. I love Latin American literature and I've always wanted to read One Hundred Years of Solitude in its original language but that may be more like a six month project all by itself. I'm going to keep my goal at 50 books and hope for the best.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) I missed my goal for last year by 5 books, but still read more than I did the previous year. So I will again attempt for 75 =)

message 8: by Samantha McNulty (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:10AM) (new)

Samantha McNulty - Read more classics
- Read more MG novels
- Read books off my TBR shelf

message 9: by Dee (new)

just as a note - this thread is more for goals within goals - and not general reading numbers ;)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Ok... See what you mean. My goals are geared toward reading more modern literature. I was an English lit major and i read many many classics so now i want to catch up on all the great books written the last 50 years. I've been collecting them. Most are in my "to read" list. Some include The Feast of the Goat, Inheritance of Loss, The Sea, Vernon God Little, The God of Small Things, Haunted, The Fight Club, The Godfather, just to name a few. Then there's the one I fear.... Ulysses by James Joyce. I read it in college but it was so overwhelming to me that I swore I would read it again someday.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy I definitely want to read at least 20 books from my Goodreads TBR shelf. I would also like to get caught up on a few series I have in progress.

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnski723) I'm with Amy, I want to clean out my TBR shelf. Unfortunately, it keeps growing as I hear of more books I want to read so I guess my goal would be to read all the books on the list prior to 2013 (I think there are about 35 on there)

I also like Dee's idea of a non-fiction a month. Those are not my favorite so I don't think I could do that but maybe 1 every 2 months.

message 13: by Carlie (new)

Carlie Van Amerongen (carlievana) Liz wrote: "Every year i go for a minimum of 50 books for the year so i'm going to continue along that line and I want to keep my reading varied. Read the game of thrones series and possibly read les miserabl..."

Liz, I'm reading the Game of Thrones series this year as well! It's one of those series I feel like I *should* read, because everyone else seems to have read them already. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

message 14: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Jan 04, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Here are a couple of my goals for 2013:

1. STAY OUT OF THE LIBRARY This past year I have made continuous trips to the library checking out books instead of reading the books I own. So my goal is to read 50-100 of my own books. At some point, I will go back to the library because I need to read some new releases for challenges but want to start the new year reading my own books.

2. In conjunction with my first goal, I would like to read 50-100 books off my kindle fire. I have gone hog wild with the kindle freebies and in a year's time have accumulated almost 9,000 free books.

3. I also have a massive amount of e-pub books saved on my computer/jump drives that I need to start reading instead of checking books out at the library.

4. I have several series started that I would really like to finish before starting any more LOL which this one is probably going to be close to impossible for me LOL.

5. I have tried several new genres/authors this year and would like to continue reading new genres/authors and not fall into a rut of reading the same genre all the time.I'm a mood reader and usually have 7 or 8 books going at a time. I am trying to read a nice variety of books so that I don't fall into a reading rut where nothing is appealing to me.

6. I would like to read more of the classics this year. I started out 2012 doing really good with the classics (thanks to some of my challenges) and then kind of let them fall to the wayside as the classics are my least favorites LOL

message 15: by Ceanne (new)

Ceanne | 2 comments I love the idea of actually reading books I already own, either on my e-reader or hard copies...I still will read library books of purse, it i plan on at least 50% of my books read be ones I already own.

message 16: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments It is so exciting to start a new year and think about all of the good books awaiting in the new year! I have quite a few goals because I am such a reading goal-oriented person that my sister thinks I'm crazy. (She also reads, but not nearly as much as I do, although that might have something to do with her 5 children and all their activities!)

Here are some of my reading goals for 2013:

1. Read at least 100 of the 1800+ books I own (I know - not nearly enough to reduce the stacks, but at least it's a start!)

2. Finish several GR challenges - 230 books for the Cover-to-Cover Challenge, 80 set in different countries for the Around the World Challenge (plus complete some of the smaller ones on that thread), 51 books for the U.S.States and D.C. challenge on that thread, and whichever other ones I decide to pick up that I can do at the same time.

3. Participate in all of the Read-a-thons and have a minimum 1,000 page goal for each one.

4. Participate in the Mini-challenges, and do the best I can do in each of them

5. Read all of the books this year in my 'real-life' book club (only 20 books, but sometimes I skip them because they aren't in my favorite genres - not this year!)

6. Make a dent in the stacks of series books I have - I would like to read at least 3 books a month from the various series I have started (even though that may not make too much of a dent, it will at least get me started on those stacks)

7. Participate in a summer YA challenge group that is ongoing among the faculty at my high school (A challenge that I started and that the teachers, even after my retirement, are continuing because they love it so much. The leader issues mini-challenges, and I hope to be able to mett all of them.

8. Read at least one book per month in the Romance Readers Pick-It-For-Me Challenge in that group

I'm sure I will think of more goals as the year progresses, but this is where I am starting.

ReadingToTheStarsAndBack | 3 comments I want to read the Lord of the Rings series :) I read HP this year, so I think that reading a series a year could become my thing :)

Star :P

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise (soulstar) | 31 comments I'm keeping my goals fairly simple:

1) Finish everything on my "reading" and "hibernating" shelves.

2) Take part in a "classics" reading group with friends if we decide to go ahead with it.

3) Try a new genre.

4) Get back into reading graphic novels.

5) Re-read the Wheel of Time all the way through before starting on the final book.

And then I hope to sort out my To Read list(s) into better order and crack on with everything else!

message 19: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 65 comments Read the Game of Thrones series. Finish the Aurora Teagarden series, finish the Mortal Instruments series.
Read more of the Jack Reacher books. Try at least 5 new authors. Read the TBR books in my house. Try to do less re-reading.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I think that I would like to stay focus by trying....

1. Read more of my chunky books (500+ pages).
2. Finish up some series that I have been reading forever and they have ended or have one or two more books before they are over.
3. listen to more audio books...I started to slack off.
4. read 1 book outside romance genre a month....sometimes I am good and sometimes I am not.

message 21: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (gfigure) | 18 comments My golals?
1. Read read read
2. Try audio books again ..thanks Robin
3. Finish series that I've started
4. Try to surpass my 50 goal for the year
5. Participate in some of the challenges on goodreads

message 22: by Alana (new)

Alana (bovygirl) | 13 comments My overall goal is to increase my reading speed, but I also want to:

1) Read more mysteries. I generally read chick-lit so I want to break out of my comfort zone.
2) Avoid the library and book store for at least 8 months and read the books I already own. This seems to be a common one.
3) Read more Canadian Literature, especially Robertson Davies.
4) Read one non-fiction book a month

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Lucy wrote: "My golals?
1. Read read read
2. Try audio books again ..thanks Robin
3. Finish series that I've started
4. Try to surpass my 50 goal for the year
5. Participate in some of the challenges on good..."

YW Lucy!!!! I hope that you can enjoy them as much as I do ☺

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Alana wrote: "My overall goal is to increase my reading speed, but I also want to:

1) Read more mysteries. I generally read chick-lit so I want to break out of my comfort zone.
2) Avoid the library and book sto..."

LOL I am surprised to see someone else is avoiding the library. Maybe we can give each other encouragement ☺

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) I want to read at least 75 books this year. I'd like to get the "TBR" shelf (and ebooks) down.

message 26: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty Edit: post #8

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie Gianelli (katie094) | 58 comments For my resolutions, I don't have any set type of book I want to read but I am participating in a lot of different challenges!

Here are a few of them

ABC Book Challenge hosted by my own group Book-a-holics
A Lifetime of Books Challenge hosted by Romantic Readers
Hearts and Tears Challenge hosted by Romantic Readers
A monthly Pick it for Me Challenge hosted by Romantic Readers

So my resolution is to complete books that will help me complete my challenges =)

message 28: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:36AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 343 comments Mod
My goal is to read books about Australia and New Zealand and to read books written by authors from Australia or New Zealand. I don't know how many books I want to read, but I guess somewhere around 25 is a good guess.

I don't know much about that area of the world, and I have never read much from authors in that area either. This seems like a good time to find out about Australia and New Zealand.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (kmgibson66) | 2 comments met my goal of 100 last year reading 130 books...my goal for 2013 is 150 books read!!

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess Schira I want to read at least 10 non-fiction novels this year.

message 31: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 6 comments I swear I posted here yesterday, but it's not showing up. Boo!

My resolutions:

-Finish up, or at least become current on many of the series I have started.
-Read books I actually own, rather than going to the library to pick up books (This will be difficult for a while still, at least until I finally move back home and get my books back once renovations are finished on my home)
-Read more nonfiction
-Read more classics
-Try to finish the Seasonal Reading Challenge each season.

I'm sure I'll be adding more as the year goes on!

message 32: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) | 9 comments My resolutions for the year are based on finishing up some personal goals I set last year.
1. Finish my most unfavorite and only unfinished book from High School (LONG, LONG AGO!) The Grapes of Wrath
2. Finish the Agatha Christie Poirot Series
3. Finish reading all of the Newbery winners from 1992-2002 (Middle School years for my children)
4. Read 10% of the books on my LONG TBR list.

message 33: by Stipe (new)

Stipe | 11 comments I have two resolutions for this year:

1. Read one or more books from at least 10 Nobel winners I never read before.
2. Read at least 5 non-fiction books (I don't read those very much!)

message 34: by Zakiya (last edited Jan 03, 2013 03:27PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) My biggest reading resolution this year is to always make time for reading. My totals for last year suffered because I basically dropped off the face of Goodreads when school started back and I was swamped with work. I would really like to start managing all the work better (aka getting my priorities straight) so that I can stay consistent with my reading throughout the entire year.

Smaller resolutions:
--Finish re/reading Series of Unfortunate Events
--Finish re/reading Clique series
--Stay caught up with my audiobooks
--Finish books that have been on my kindle forever
--Same thing, but with actual bound books

message 35: by Samantha (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) My resolutions for the year:

- Read the Lord of the Rings trilogy
- Read 5 classics on my shelf
- Start reading a different trilogy/series of fantasy literature
- Read 5 Stephen King books
- Read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series
- Read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series (3 books down)
- Read 5 non-fiction books

Let's hope I can get all of these done by the end of the year!

message 36: by Bec (last edited Jan 03, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 40 comments Connie wrote: "My goal is to read books about Australia and New Zealand and to read books written by authors from Australia or New Zealand. I don't know how many books I want to read, but I guess somewhere around..."

Hi Connie, I recommend anything from Anna Funder, she's by far my favourite Aussie author. Stasiland is one of the best books ever published.

My goals for this year:
1. Buy no books. (uni text books and presents for other people are the exceptions.)
2. Read outside my genre. (which is military fiction, I'm hoping for some good chic lit/horror/murder mysteries)
3. Read 12 classics.
4. Attend every book club event.

message 37: by Ana (new)

Ana | 7 comments i want to read 15 classics 15 new authors 15 new subgenres and 20000 page - 50 books

message 38: by Jonna (new)

Jonna (bossybookworm) My challenge this year is to read at least one "classic" book a month. In this sense, classic is defined as the books (fiction only) that appear on all those Great Books lists, but I somehow missed, in spite of being a bookworm and English major.
The second half of my challenge involves poetry. One book of poetry or one poet a month.
As well, I'd like to read as many, or more books than I read last year!

message 39: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 394 comments Well, in addition to trying to meet my goals in this group (I'm in the "Sky is the Limit" group) I also want to read:

ALL of Jane Austen's works. I've read 3--but I've read those 3 about a dozen times. I need to read the rest of them now.

FORCE myself to read all of the Bronte's books. I'm not a fan, and hated all of their works that I was forced to read for school, but now I'm going to challenge myself to read them for pleasure. (Of course, if I can't stand them yet again, then this one won't be met.)

Read 6 biographies this year. Not sure what biographies, but 6 of them anyway. :o)

While NOT a reading challenge, I did challenge myself on Jan 1 to sort and re-shelve all my children's books. As a result, I discovered that I actually had an autographed copy of a book that I didn't know about. I picked the book up at a thrift store, because it was about an antique doll, (fiction) and I collect those.

And finally---I'm going to MAKE my husband take me on a vacation this year--we haven't had one in way longer than I want to think of, but, for the first time in 13 years we aren't taking care of anyone except each other, and I'm just physically exhausted. So, I'm going to read 12 "beach reads" while on vacation.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Well, in addition to trying to meet my goals in this group (I'm in the "Sky is the Limit" group) I also want to read:

ALL of Jane Austen's works. I've read 3--but I've read those 3 about a doze..."

Nice goals Ann ☺

I may join you on the Jane Austen goal. I have read one maybe two of her works but own several of them. I just keep putting them off for other books LOL even though I would really like to read them.

As far as the Brontes, I have read maybe one or two but don't really remember a lot about them. Maybe I will start those sometime this year too as I own some of them too.

Since I am staying out of the library, I could kill 2 birds with one stone by reading the books I own by Austen & The Brontes ☺

message 41: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) | 9 comments Barbara VA wrote: "My resolutions for the year are based on finishing up some personal goals I set last year.
1. Finish my most unfavorite and only unfinished book from High School (LONG, LONG AGO!) The Grapes of Wr..."

Well, I finished the first of my 2013 goals and had an idea for my fourth. If I read just 1 book from each month I have added titles, that is 40 books coming off the list! Not quite 10%, but it makes it seem manageable AND the best part is I still get to read reviews of friends and find new titles I just HAVE to read right away. Besides, I refuse to pass up reading the next #1 Ladies Detective Agency book the day it arrives in my mailbox!

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Corley | 65 comments Just a quick question...I started a book on 12/27 but finished it on 1/4 (Slow reader...I know!!!) but that is good for me and it was 438 pages in my defense! but would that count toward this goal?

message 43: by Dee (new)

Sure can

message 44: by Season (last edited Jan 10, 2013 07:38AM) (new)

Season Keiffer (seasontk) | 6 comments My goals this year are:

1.) Finish up some series that I have been reading on for awhile.

2.) Read at least 30 books off of my Goodreads TBR list.

3.) Read at least 25 books I already own (paperback/kindle).

4.) Read at least 1 non-fiction a month.

Hopefully I will meet these goals. Some are of these goals I can complete with the same books.

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber My reading goals are pretty simple: Read more books from my TBR and from my bookshelves at home.

It's amazing how easy it is to search for 'new' books to read for a challenge rather than searching my own shelves at home.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer Welcomes 2022! (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 6 comments My 2013 total goal is 800, plus I have individual goals:
I'm challenging myself in 2013. There are books I've wanted to read and have put off-put off-put off. So I'll list them here and I can check off, as I complete. I will also be adding to this list as I think of them!
The order is not set; I add as I think

1. read anna karenina
2. read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series
3. read 2315
4. read the Red Mars series
5. read Reamde
6. Read all the installments of The Mongoliad
7. All Neal Stephenson
8. All Angela Carter
9. All Neil Gaiman
10. finish Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series
11. finish: The White Forest; The Nightmare Project; Jane Was Here
12. read Abandoned (Cory McFadyen)
13. read all I've missed of Michael Marshall (Smith)
14. read the four F. G. Cottam wrote under the name Francis Cottam
15. read Girl Dressed in Blood, which I bought i nJuly:)
16. finish Last Days and review; reread for review Apartment 16 (read Jan. 2012); read Banquet for the Damned
17. read Lisa Cantrell’s and Susie Moloney’s not yet read
18. reread Mike Resnick, Outpost
19. read the Anne Sexton books; and The Bell jar
2o. read Broadmaw Bay; all Susie Moloney’s I have (not read), all Lisa Cantrell’s I have , all Nightside I have
21. read a Discovery of witches, buy or librfary the sequel and read it
22. read Horror for Good and Scare Care
23. Discworld-all
24. Dennis Lehane-The Given Day and Live by Night
25.all Peter F. Hamilton (reading The Great North Road)
26. all Joshua Calkins-Treworgy
27. read The Book of Paul
28. read all of Jack Chalker
29. read all of Jack McDevitt
30. read all of Glen Cook

message 47: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 40 comments 800 books! Omg! That's an incredible goal! Goodluck and happy reading.

And a couple of Neil gaiman books are on my list for this year, I loved American gods and the graveyard book!

message 48: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 1 comments My Reading goals for 2013:
Reading Goals:
1. Little Princess
2. Bleak House
3. Dickens book
4. Jane Austen book
5. Ivanhoe
6. one vl of gateway books
7. Journal of John Woolman
8. Educating Zion
9. Aproaching Zion
10. Uncle Eric
11. Portriat of a Lady
12. Following Christ
13. Out of the best books
14. The sublime and the beautiful
15. Pilgrims progress
16. The princess and the Goblin
17. George Macdolald
18. Chesterton
19. Another sort of learning
20. the last lecture
21. 10 classics
22. 10 religious
23. 10 various

I don't know if some of my books are "children's books". I think of them as classics. They are not picture books by any means.

Anyway, bring on the reading!!

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan Mary (susanmary2013) | 5 comments My goal is to read ONE BOOK every Day except holidays and my birthday.

So I guess 330 give or take this year.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan Mary (susanmary2013) | 5 comments I read one a day to get about 330-360. How many a day do you read to read 800?

« previous 1