Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Book journals

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I decided to start the thread on our book journaling. What does everyone do? Use? Do you do a paper version or just internet or both? if it's a paper version which type do you use? if you use a internet version which site do you use or do you just use a spreadsheet version (Word, office, Pages, etc) do you do the GRs bookcase and if so what do you list (title, author, date started, finished)? Do you rate your finished books, if so do you do stars, 1-5 or 1-10 ratings? if you do a paper one which kind of info do you put down on the page (title, author, date finished, rating, gene, amt of pages, comments etc).
Anything else you can add to make the thread more interesting please do.
I've done this type of thread years ago in the old AOL board and found it very helpful to some who want ideas on what they want to use or try something different than the present year.

message 2: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I guess since I started this I should put I'm going to try in 2013.
This year (2012) I just lost my motivation which the usual B&N version spiral notebook I used of and on in the past. I need change. so didn't go to BN to see what else they had (plus I didn't renew my membership since i"m just not the buying bookaholic I used to be (most of you know what I mean LOL) I ended up going to staplers and yes it probably costed more than I should have spent. The system I bought is arc I believe. it's almost like the circa levenger's version (and yes I did the staplers version of that in the past but this version had dividers and folders different types of pages either graft or regular. I decided to buy enough dividers for the 12 months and a few clear folders for extra stuff I find, also the bigger rings because I"m planning on doing more books than this year (hopefully) so I might have to switch to the bigger rings. I feel I need the written page because this way when I finish a book I can write what I want down (again hopefully better than I did this year that It wasn't when I finished a book so my dates were off at times, my comments ended up not being much if anything),
so I'm planning on doing title, author, rating (I'm thinking about switching back to 1to5 rather than the 1to 10 rating. I mean how many times do you go that low or use all those numbers. yes it gives more range but I'm thinking with the GRS bookcase with the stars)amt of pages, gene, date finished, if it's a grp read, buddie read, f2f book grp etc, something about the book. I know a few years I used to do the first sentence (remember when we had a thread for the 1st sentence that was fun it's harder now with so many of us using ebooks), of course if the book is hc/pb/trade/library/nook. can't think what else.
I also do a internet version on GRS bookcase. which I'm going to delete maybe some of my shelves since there is too many, maybe past years I might delete. I don't know what I want to do. I was wondering if there a way you can switch the top 3 read/currently reading/want to read to something else in the top 3. like if I want to do READ 2013 as one of the top 3 can that be done? because the Read that is up top now is everything I read that I ever put up there so when I have to look my current year I have to go allt he way down to the bottom after everything else (some I don't use anymore..
okay, I think I covered everything for the time being.
I would love to do better comments. I seem to just not write good reviews. I always have in the back of my mind I don't want to give any spoilers away. okay in my written journal I still think that but whose going to read it besides me anyway. Someday I would love to do a blog but don't know where to go to start one (that is free) and also how to go about starting it. And I need more comments/reviews (at least 100) to be able to do reviews for Netgallery.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments DonnaJo: There are several threads found on the Goodreads Feedback group pages regarding the Goodreads shelves. The top three shelves are set and standard for everyone but you can arrange your other shelves in different ways. I have my Just Finished shelf as the fourth shelf so it is always at the top of my list and feature my Currently Reading shelf, this is done by labeling it as "sticky" from the Edit Bookshelves link. (upper left of page while on the My Books view) Some tips:
Bookshelf Tips
**feature: You may choose one shelf to feature on the top of your profile. If the shelf is sortable, then the top books are shown on the profile. If it's not sortable then we choose random books from the list. If you choose the read shelf (default setting), we randomly display 5 star rated books. You may also choose to have no shelf displayed, by unchecking the currently featured shelf.
**shelf sorting: You can enable shelf sorting to customize the order of your shelves. This is extremely useful for the "to-read" shelf; You can keep track of what you'd like to read next!
**sticky: Sticky shelves are sorted first on your books and on your profile.
exclusive shelves: All members have three default shelves (read, currently-reading, and to-read), which are mutually exclusive, meaning a book can only be on one of them. Members can create as many additional shelves as they like, and books can be on as many non-exclusive shelves as you desire. This may be useful for shelves such as "reference" or "gave-up-on."
**recs: Check this box if you would like us to try to make recommendations for books in this shelf. If this box is unchecked, we will not make recommendations for this shelf.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments Donnajo wrote: "I decided to start the thread on our book journaling. What does everyone do? Use? Do you do a paper version or just internet or both? if it's a paper version which type do you use? if you use ..."

hi dj,
i use good reads and separate my books very simply- "real" books and kindle books, followed the year.. so read 2012, and kindle reads 2012.
i also keep a paper journal and write down the name and author, month read and a very brief- like one or two sentence- summary. if i really liked the book, i put a big star by the title.
keeping it simple.

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments Sherry wrote: "Donnajo wrote: "I decided to start the thread on our book journaling. What does everyone do? Use? Do you do a paper version or just internet or both? if it's a paper version which type do you u..."

sounds very easy. I really want to figure out something different for the GRs one. get rid of some of the older shelves. I think if I delete a minor shelf it won't delete the book competely as long as it's still listed on read too or read the year.

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I probably have too many lists. I have the list I keep on Goodreads, both as the list in my books, and in the Cover to Cover Challenge group. I use that list to post my monthly reads with this group here each month. I also keep a list in my Kindle Fire cover that keeps my running total as well as favorite authors and books I would like to read. Now, if I can just find a way to keep that list on my iPad...

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments My most accurate form is an excel spreadsheet in which I keep the author, title, date read, and brief note to remind myself what it was about. I email this to myself periodically so that if I'm at the library and I can't remember if I read a certain book, I can access my email and check. I like the excel, because I can sort by date at the end of the month to post my monthly reads here. I do try to update on Goodreads and Fictfact as well, but I probably only do that a couple times a year.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments Liz I gave up on cover to cover but I hope to start a new thread again under 150 for 2013.
My original book listing I use to have is really outdated because some of the last books I bought never really got on there. but it's a good place to get an idea or know at least how many books I have and ebooks aren't listed on it. I tried to start a few times the ones on the ebooks but it never got finished. but one of these days I would like to do that list. again I started it in the beginning and it never got totally finished. the new nook I do have the list of epubs I put on there. the orginal nook list has to be done. I know it would be easier if I knew what was where because certain books on the original which I put right to the nook in the beginning I can't move over and it won't let me move it back to the mac. so it would be nice to know everything that is listed on there. plus some of the BN books on the new one which I finished and could delete off I think it's still on the original. yet if it's going though bn it should delete in both places. I know with the original to delete anything off I had to go on the website when I was on the mac to do deleting. oh well. I have way too many notebooks with book related things in. and yesterday I weeded though some of the smaller ones and got rid of some stuff I don't know why I put there is the first place. books I wanted to check out.

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Just tried the Book Crawler app. Spent 2 hours organizing and then decided it was too cumbersome. Ugh!! Off to find something easier...hopefully!!

message 10: by Donnajo (last edited Dec 28, 2012 01:07PM) (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments good luck. I've been researching cases, screen protectors for my sister online. they were going to stop at staplers on the way home but it's taking them longer to leave from the shore (they went down to do some stuff) but she said it's too late to go anyplace today so I told her I'll go with her another day. staplers seems to have one that might be good for the ipad but if it's the newest one out would be be a generation 3 or I thought they were up to 4. The cases for a good hard one aren't cheap. I found one for 59. which you can use the ipad different angles. where the $10 cheaper model you can only use in portrait. is that really important. does it mean only if you use it to stand. I told her stick with the closed book type not a slip in because I don't like that and if she does that why not just take one of the ones she can take that I bought thinking it would be good for the nook when I have it in the case. I also told her make sure the case and protector are for the right ipad. they thought maybe staplers would be cheaper but I seem to think best buy might be. Me I would just go back to the apple store but there you know you will buy more. I forgot to tell her she can try my sylus to see if she likes using one before she buys her own. she said she was playing with it yesterday on her own and was doing good. The thing is I want to find out how we can put my epubs on it for her what she needs (which app) I also said we can go to BN and look though the ipad books one day or maybe just get one from the library. From the online ipad info sites I looked at on reading epubs. I'm trying to find the easiest way to do it for her. and the more ways I found it gets gets more confusing. I mean is all you need to do is get the ADE app then email and you can open in that or do you move it into the ibooks. I think the next route to take would be going to the apple store and maybe someone there could advice. but they are always mobbed there. my cousin's husband told her to just play with it that you can't damage it and that is the way she has to learn.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments I keep my daily book status and progress up to date here on Goodreads then update my Excel spreadsheet once a month with the books I read during that month. I try to keep chipping away at fictfact.com and check it a few times a month and update a series here and there when I visit.
Good suggestion to email the Excel version to myself every once in a while, Dawn! I had started keeping it on dropbox too. Mine is similar to yours with Author, date read, and a brief version of my comments.
As for Kindle books, I use the Manage My Kindle on Amazon to remember which ones I have and luckily Amazon tells me if I already own one if i try to get it again... Yes, that is what we do, we have so many we forget them all!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I wish i'd kept with one book system; I've abandoned several over the years.

Currently I have two lists in Google Docs, one a brief list of title, author, rating, narrator (if audio) and date completed. In the other I have the same info plus a brief review, which I then copy onto my GR "read" shelf. The other shelves I have in GR are:

read ‎(505)
currently-reading ‎(4)
to-read ‎(46)
determination-list ‎(1)
not-finished ‎(5)
own-basement ‎(0)
own-bedroom ‎(0)
own-family-room ‎(4)
to-finish-later ‎(13)

You can see the ones I actively update. I also had the bright idea to log books owned by location in my house. As you see that idea took off like a lead balloon....

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I wish i'd kept with one book system; I've abandoned several over the years.

Currently I have two lists in Google Docs, one a brief list of title, author, rating, narrator (if audio) and date comp..."

LOL, I was thinking no that can't be true.

message 14: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I like the not finished shelf! I need to add that along with the reason so that I can remember why I gave up when that particular title comes along again!

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1366 comments I have an old fashioned handwritten book journal which is my only complete record of the books I read. When I post my reads at the end of the month, I am looking at my handwritten book journal.

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments I use Google docs. I have reviews and lists going back to the year 2000. The biggest advantage is in the UBS, being able to call up my past reads and author lists, as well as the list of the books I am actively looking for.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments A shelf like that (not finished) combined with a status update when you stopped reading listing details works great for this Liz! I add the page or CD track or percent read and when I add the book back to my currently reading shelf those notes come back too. Very handy!

LizH wrote: "I like the not finished shelf! I need to add that along with the reason so that I can remember why I gave up when that particular title comes along again!"

message 18: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Sounds like a lot of work.

message 19: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I did find an app that is pretty cool. Since I already have all the books I have read on GR, the My Book List app will only be for adding recommendations I get from you all, other friends and other sources. It will also keep my tbr series in order.

message 20: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments LizH wrote: "I like the not finished shelf! I need to add that along with the reason so that I can remember why I gave up when that particular title comes along again!"

I have the shelf put off to the side then I put the book back onto the to be read list so it's not forever on the currently reading shelf.
I just want to be able to change READ to READ 2013 but not get rid of READ completely that that be a minor shelf I'm not sure if that is doable or not. I don't want to lose all the other books I have listed on READ before I did the separate years.

My sister is having alot of fun with the ipad. and I can't believe she's really learning. she got questions answered at the apple store and got a case so she doesn't need mine. he told her don't waste your money on the protector they don't even sell them the place the mall had them. but expensive and even that guy said he doesn't have one on his. when asked about the epubs thing she was told it can't be done. I told her what do you want the guy to say. he wants you to buy from ibooks. when there is time and we can get to BN or wherever we will have to look it up in a book. or online. there are different places I saw it talked about but there is different ways it can be done. I just want the info from someone that is doing it and how to do it the easy way. anyway, I'll have to tell her about my book list. she wants to keep a record of books she read. yes she bought a notebook but hasn't really started it yet.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Daniel wrote: "Sounds like a lot of work."

every minute of which we love.

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Donnajo wrote: "he told her don't waste your money on the protector they don't even sell them the place the mall ..."

DJ, what's a "protector"? Is it something that goes over the glass? I noticed that mine got grubby fast (possibly bec I was eating Moose Munch while surfing, LOL? God that stuff is addicting.). How do people clean the glass? I dug out some eyeglass cleaning sheets which seemed to work fine.

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments Yes, and 2 different people told my sister not to waste her money on it. the one in the apple store where they don't even sell them said you really don't need it. but to check out in the mall right in front of the apple store and that guy said he has one on his son's ipad but he didn't waste the money for his own said you don't need. I think my sister said they are $30 my niece told her to get it but they didn't. if you have the cover that is enough. even the my nook guy Jerry said not to waste my money on one for the nook tablet. I was thinking it helped with glare but he said they don't. my sister has the same complaint with the marks from fingers that is why the stylus is good. my bil said to make thinks bigger on the screen or smaller you can't use it but for everything else you can. why do I think I'm not getting mine back. LOL. she didn't want to take it but I said it's not that I use it that much and all the time. I won't miss it for awhile until she gets to best buy to get her own. as for the cover the smart one seems to do a good job. she asked the question I had when I did the research for her about the cases. with some of the reviews coming back about the certain cases aren't good for landscraping. she said that is when you use the stand up part. but does that really matter so you hold it rather than letting it stand by itself. it's easy to open and snaps closed. and it's a hard case and I think it comes in different colors. I told her when they go away they can still use the canvas one I bought as a extra case to put it in while in the laptop case because it even has a little handle on it. it's black canvas. Oh and carol about the protector. if they are anything like the one I have for the ipod touch they were murder to put on because it gives you bubbles. I had to take it back to the apple store to the expert on putting them on without bubbles. but the ipad ones you can get the bubble free ones which are more money. crazy. I have good stuff from the apple store to clean the screens too they have the little wipes or the spray stuff that you use with the cloth. I had given my bil some of the mac because I had both types. you would have to double check if you can use those on the ipad too. what I do is when you do one use it on other stuff too so it's not such a waste. when I asked Jerry what to use on the tablet he said just use paper towel that is lightly sprayed with water. that he does his everyday. me I could probably do it already haven't done it in awhile. because if you don't do it alot the dirt and prints get hard to get off. I find if you are sitting in front of a window with regular light coming in you see the marks better then just anyplace. I seem to notice it when I was at the shore in my chair in the den.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Donnajo wrote: "he told her don't waste your money on the protector they don't even sell them the place the mall ..."

DJ, what's a "protector"? Is it something that goes over the glass? I notice..."

my son told me not to buy them, either. and carol- the screen gets just as grubby with that screen protector on it.

message 25: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Donnajo wrote: "I decided to start the thread on our book journaling. What does everyone do? Use? Do you do a paper version or just internet or both? if it's a paper version which type do you use? if you use ..."

DJ: I have two D ring binders with alphabetized tabs. I use regular notebook paper, before school starts the packs are always on sale. In the upper right corner I write the month, year, genre, source: library, my library or Kindle.
The top of the page I write the title, author and brief synopsis of plot. Sometimes I write the ending so I can refer to it when the next in a series comes out. I file it under author, so when a new book comes out, I can quickly refer to the author and my comments whether I liked him.

message 26: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments did I mentioned I bought index cards I think set up a smaller system besides the others on those too. I haven't decided what I will do with those. Maybe I should put books I want to read one those. or group reads. you know the index cards that you can get sometimes on the ring. I also bought a package of colored ones and a empty box that is that size.
I picked my books for the one scavanger hunt challenge already so tomorrow I'm going to put them in the one notebooks in pencil so if I decide to do the switch game later and find other books that I'm reading with one of the things on it I can switch. the on the stacks one part of me wants to pick the books now and the other wants to hold off and bring what I'm in the mood for. but will be using hardcovers for that one.
I'm enjoying reading how everyone does their journals. it's still good for ideas. for me I like different or something that motivates. not just any notebook.

message 27: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments Back around 2000 when I was keeping my list on a PDA, there was a guy at the UBS that would show up with a stack of index cards that had to be at least 18inches high. He swore it was the only way to keep a list.

message 28: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I haven't decided if I put the finished books or the upcoming or maybe I will do the books I start it might be a good way to have better comments I mean how many things do I really need I would like to do the cover to cover board this year again I kind of stopped updating it this year.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Barry - Wonder what he does now?
I am no longer keeping my written book journal. For twelve years, from August 1999 until August 2011 I kept both the Excel version and the written book in sync and listed every library book and book I acquired whether I read it or not. I wrote backwards on the back pages to keep on filling it up when I exhausted the fronts of the pages in 2010. (thirty books a page, one side)
One of these days I might update it from the Excel - I am short 85 books plus what I will list for December. ...though it won't be all the books as before, now just if I read them.

Barry wrote: "Back around 2000 when I was keeping my list on a PDA, there was a guy at the UBS that would show up with a stack of index cards that had to be at least 18inches high. He swore it was the only way ..."

message 30: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments I wonder as well. Out local UBS, the book barn, has expanded to 3 different sites with multiple buildings, so I tend to only see people browsing mysteries, unless I go to the thriller/suspense building or the cookbook building.
I'm currently browsing to get ready for the annual sale that drops books to about 70 cents.
You should vacation in SE CT. You can ship the books home, and take an occasional diversion to Mystic Seaport and Old Sturbridge Village.

message 31: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I did some weeding out this morning. I took everything over the downstairs bookcase because I wanted to do hcs for my off the shelf challenge. so I mostly used all the hcs that were on there plus I threw some across the room to get rid of. so a total of 26 mostly mostly hcs and maybe 3 were trade size. then of course I had to fill in the spots I first put allt he challenge books off to one side on the side. so as those get read I can fill in the spots. and then had to do 2 bookshelves on the big bookcase to fill in one whole shelf almost. then since I took books off the big bookcase for that I had to go on the pile in the den and take books to fill in those spots on the big bookcase. so besides 12 hcs for the challenge I also have the patricia cornwell 5 hcs that I'll be doing for grp reads to catch up on that series. so my hcs will be going down if it all works out.

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Now that sounds like an amazing set-up Barry!
Barry wrote: "I wonder as well. Out local UBS, the book barn, has expanded to 3 different sites with multiple buildings, so I tend to only see people browsing mysteries, unless I go to the thriller/suspense building...
I'm currently browsing to get ready for the annual sale that drops books to about 70 cents.
You should vacation in SE CT. You can ship the books home, and take an occasional diversion to Mystic Seaport and Old Sturbridge Village. "

message 33: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments Barry wrote: "I wonder as well. Out local UBS, the book barn, has expanded to 3 different sites with multiple buildings, so I tend to only see people browsing mysteries, unless I go to the thriller/suspense bui..."

and don't forget- hang out with us (which, i am sure, would be the highlight of the trip!)

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments ...now that the end of January is in sight, I can see that I haven't changed my book journal-ing habits in 2013 (yet)
My plan to be sure the page number count on Goodreads is accurate could still work if I switch the editions of the books I finish this month to paper ones with page counts.. I could start to write them in a written journal again, but I haven't caught up 2012 yet.
I haven't listed all of my library books but I did discover that with my history "turned on" I can get that from the library web site if I want to.
I guess I still have options to make a better mousetrap as I record the books I read, but in reality, on a day to day basis, I would rather read. Go figure.
Perhaps in a few years I will attempt to read a book I didn't record that I was unable to finish and will find it fresh and enlightening. who knows.

message 35: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I did start a short bookshelf on grs.
I still working on getting the nook2 shelf of books on the tablet.
I didn't think to switch the books to hc but if I remenber I usually try to put the page count in comments.
Trying to do better comments and keep uptodate.
For the most count I'm happy with my jan book count so far this yeat with 16 finished so far working for a 20 total.
Ann you sound like you are off to a good start.