Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

Midnight Sun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Jordan I have been wondering, is this book finished? I have read what was on her website, but I don't know if she finished it. If it is finished, where can I get it? Thanks.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think she continued writing it. From what I heard someone leaked it on the internet before she was finished and she got pissed off or something, so she didn't continue writing it. Although, she did put the draft that was leaked on her website for everyone to read legally.

Colleen Stitch quite disappointing. was looking forward to a book possibly continuing the story.....

Moshira El Balamony Ironically enough, i liked the story line much more from Edward's point of view.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read the released version of Midnight Sun, just skimmed a couple pages. Is it good?

Colleen Stitch i would like to read a book from edward's point of view. i enjoyed reading jacob's point of view in breaking dawn. anything is better than reading bella's whining

Moshira El Balamony Yes, but it stops right where things get interesting! Really annoying.

Jordan Eva wrote: "I haven't read the released version of Midnight Sun, just skimmed a couple pages. Is it good?"

Oh, it's amazing! I love Twilight, but I love Edward, so I like it better with him! I wish she'd finish it! Oh and thanks for telling me, cuz some people said it was out and I was like a bee chasing honey, but I couldn't find it.

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Jordan wrote: "Eva wrote: "I haven't read the released version of Midnight Sun, just skimmed a couple pages. Is it good?"

Oh, it's amazing! I love Twilight, but I love Edward, so I like it better with him! I wis..."

would that be in orgnal version that SM wrote from before.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia i read the book, the full version pretty good so far..

Jordan Peace wrote: "i read the book, the full version pretty good so far.."

What do you mean the full version???? Did she finish it???

Edgar Anna Poe Peace wrote: "i read the book, the full version pretty good so far.."
Oh my god where can I get it?

message 13: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni I think she means the official version. There is no full, completed version.

Paula I've read somewhere that she was upset that it got leaked and will not be publishing it.

Jordan Jeni wrote: "I think she means the official version. There is no full, completed version."

Darn, I was really looking forward to it.

Zeina twilight is my favorite book and reading it from Edward's point of view make me love it more. I wish that Stephenie Meyer will really finish midnight sun because what she wrote so far is so good.

message 17: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni I kind of hope she doesn't. I mean, we know the story and how it ends. I would rather she spend time and energy on Alice and Jasper if she needs to stay in that world.

message 18: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 27, 2012 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore Jeni wrote: "I kind of hope she doesn't. I mean, we know the story and how it ends. I would rather she spend time and energy on Alice and Jasper if she needs to stay in that world."

Agreed, if she absolutely must stick with this canon I'd prefer she explore other relationships - rather than just rehash what happened from Edward's point of view. About the only person I don't want her to touch is Leah though, I don't want to see my favorite character in the book turn into another simpering Bella clone or - heaven forbid - imprint. She's too awesome for that. Granted they're all her characters, so she can do whatever she wants, I just don't want to hate one of the few characters I actually liked in this series.

Tania THEIRS IS NO MIDNIGHT SUN ( I know soo sad ) she started writing it but then it got leaked onto the internet so that's why all of you ( well mostly have read / seen ) it online . so she gave up on it because more than half the book was online . xxxxxxxxxx

Jordan Jeni wrote: "I kind of hope she doesn't. I mean, we know the story and how it ends. I would rather she spend time and energy on Alice and Jasper if she needs to stay in that world."

I guess but I just love hearing Edward's side of how he didn't want to love her, but he can't help himself, it's amazing.

message 21: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Jordan wrote: "Jeni wrote: "I kind of hope she doesn't. I mean, we know the story and how it ends. I would rather she spend time and energy on Alice and Jasper if she needs to stay in that world."

I guess but I ..."

ok

message 22: by Olivia (new)

Olivia i think SM did a good job at writeing her book, midnight sun..

Mirkat It's awful. On Bella's first day of school, Edward fantasizes about killing his entire biology class plus the teacher so he can drink Bella's delicious blood. He feels murderous urges toward any boy who thinks about being interested in Bella. And when he finds out about Jacob having told Bella about "the cold ones," he calmly muses that he'd be justified in committing genocide (wiping out the entire Quileute tribe). This is Meyer's "romantic" hero.

marie Yep. And he's awesome.

Jordan marie wrote: "Yep. And he's awesome."

Right?!

message 26: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 27, 2012 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore .... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do anything to him, aside from trying to uphold the treaty? Excuse me for the chatspeak but, LOLWUT? That's not awesome, sexy, or any other positive adjective you can think of. That's disturbed. Being protective of Bella I can understand liking, but being willing to kill countless people - some of them innocent and unaware of the meaning behind the legend - over someone simply talking to her and telling her some lore? Lore she doesn't even know applies to the real world? That's serial killer levels of crazy right there. Hell, even if Edward was a traditional vampire it'd be disturbing .

marie Come on he was an extremely horny teenage boy who happens to crave blood as well and is extremely dramatic. What else could he do?

message 28: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 27, 2012 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore Given the fact that canon states he has better control than that, and is already used to subsisting on animal blood, quite a few things actually. Homicide is inexcusable, and again I'd say that even if Edward was written as a normal bloodthirsty vampire. If he just thought it in passing and then agonized over letting his nature take over, then I'd be somewhat alright with it. That's a good way to create drama, but still make him sympathetic for the readers. But to actually entertain those thoughts and not feel self rebuke over them? To think of them as amusing? To not even have the rest of the text rebuke him for what he's thinking when he himself won't? Sorry, but that's a big no-no in my mind - especially since Edward is supposed to be the 'good guy' here. That sort of thought process is what I'd expect from a villain, not someone that is written as nearly flawless and that we're supposed to empathize with.

message 29: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Nyaore wrote: "Given the fact that canon states he has better control than that, and is already used to subsisting on animal blood, quite a few things actually. Homicide is inexcusable, and again I'd say that eve..."

humm i wonder 2.

Siobhan I get what you're saying, Nyaore, but I think maybe Meyer was building up to something. In the actual book he tells Bella over and over that he's dangerous, yet that she changed him. We'll never know, but there's a possibility that Meyer was going to introduce reprimands as they bonded, and then later Edward be horrified at his earlier thoughts and behaviours.

But we'll never know because she threw her toys out of the pram.

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia :)

message 32: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Nyaore wrote: "Given the fact that canon states he has better control than that, and is already used to subsisting on animal blood, quite a few things actually. Homicide is inexcusable, and again I'd say that eve..."

I think his running away in horror at what he thought he was capable of doing and the following self loathing while he was gone shows that he did feel remorse for his thoughts - not actions as he did none of the horrors he thought. I think most people have thought some unpleasant things about others at times. It is what one does with that is more important. I have had some pretty evil thoughts about my husband's ex for all the pain she caused him, but I certainly didn't do anything about it. I guess that makes me a villain too?

message 33: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni All these points could have been cleared up, initially, if she had written Twilight in third person, or at least switched back and forth.

I, too, would have enjoyed watching the struggle for Edward. It would have made love between them more plausible. If she had played a bit hard to get, even better!

As it stands, I feel like she loves him because he's beautiful and he loves her because her blood smells great. Not a fantastic advertisement for affection, in my opinion.

Jordan Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do anything to him, aside from trying to uphold ..."

hold up... have you read the book? He doesn't kill anyone! He did before, and he regrets every one of those kills. He's a vampire, for crying out loud! What do you expect?!?!?!? He is saving people from his own kind by going against his nature, IDK about anyone else, but I think that's awesome!

message 35: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni Jordan wrote:"hold up... have you read the book? He doesn't kill anyone! "

I think Nyaore meant in the beginning of Midnight Sun, I believe, Edward comments that he would destroy the entire biology class to get to her blood, or something like that. This is supposed to be indicative of his struggle. Not the direction I would go, personally.

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jeni wrote: "Jordan wrote:"hold up... have you read the book? He doesn't kill anyone! "

I think Nyaore meant in the beginning of Midnight Sun, I believe, Edward comments that he would destroy the entire biolog..."

I think SM wanted to convey in that scene the utter intensity of Edward's attraction to Bella's blood, and this shows us that. From Bella's point of view this was never that clear. But, considering he was able to overcome that intense of a vampiric pull to her shows he did control his instincts.

message 37: by Jeni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeni I would have liked it if she had chosen to include it in the books. Third person or switching back and forth would have been great and more interesting.

message 38: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore Jordan wrote: "Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do anything to him, aside from tr..."
I have, and being a vampire doesn't excuse homicidal thoughts if the author wants me to actually LIKE the protagonist. Anti-humanism is not very appealing to me, sorry, no matter if the person is no longer a homo sapien killing machine. Though Siobhan makes a good point in that the book was never finished, so we'll never get to see his thoughts evolving.
And yeah, that's what I was trying to get at Jeni. :) I also agree that it would have been nice if his struggle was actually touched on better in the original books, getting out of Bella's perspective would have gone a long way, because as it stands it was basically a bunch of telling us how conflicted and dangerous he was without really ever showing it effectively.

message 39: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Nyaore wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do anything to him..."

You realize one of the main complaints people make about Twilight is that the vampires are too "soft" and wimpy compared to the vampire cannon. They believe the Twilight vampires, mainly the "vegetarian" ones, are only mere shadows of what "real" vampires are supposed to be like. I believe you are the first to ever say that Edward was too violent of a vampire...

message 40: by Nyaore (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nyaore Amy wrote: "Nyaore wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do ..."

No, as I said before that's my complaint for all vampire protagonists (or protagonists in general) that I'm supposed to LIKE and empathize with. I don't care if they're violent, I just can't stand them thinking that killing people is A-OK if they're the person I'm supposed to sympathize with. If Edward was a villain, or even a heavily flawed protagonist (such as Thorfinn from Vinland Saga) it wouldn't really bother me. Especially in Thorfinn's case because he does evolve as a character and one of the overarching themes of his narrative is that all the killing he did for the first half was most definitely wrong. However as someone who is supposed to be GOOD to the point of being almost flawless, and above those sort of thoughts, it bothers me.

Maybe if Midnight Sun was the first book, and we were introduced to Edward this way and got to SEE his change it wouldn't be nearly as bad, as I wouldn't have Meyer's previous statements on him clogging my perception. As it stands I can't reconcile the almost god-like paragon that she intended to write, with what we have in these brief blurbs. (And yes, I know he states how dangerous he is in the original series and is constantly telling Bella he can hurt her - but he never DOES any of it. About the biggest danger she was in with him was the Volturi finding out about her existence, Jasper going off on her, or him breaking her heart. Not once did he ever come close to actually making good on his threats or warnings, at least as far as I can recall. I'm going by what the character actually does, instead of what he tells us he can do.) Though, again, as Siobhan said for all we know we'd get to see him evolve past this - which I would have enjoyed.

message 41: by Mirkat (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mirkat Nyaore, very well said, in both posts. Edward coldly muses about wiping out the tribe, and appears to believe he'd be justified in doing so. And I agree completely about the anti-humanism. In MS, Edward is constantly looking down his nose at his classmates, for what he sees as their petty human thoughts.

Jeni, I agree completely with this:

As it stands, I feel like she loves him because he's beautiful and he loves her because her blood smells great. Not a fantastic advertisement for affection, in my opinion.

Edit: Posted this before seeing Nyaore's latest comment, just above this--also excellent. That's just it--we are meant to see him as a sympathetic character. Not a psychopath.

Jordan Amy wrote: "Nyaore wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do ..."

IKR?i was confused...

Jordan Nyaore wrote: "Amy wrote: "Nyaore wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet t..."

They don't think killing people is okay, They are against it. If they thought it was okay, they would do it, but they don't.

Colleen Stitch i heard the book is being published in may of next year with another book from jacob's point of view following....hope its true!!!

Jordan Colleen wrote: "i heard the book is being published in may of next year with another book from jacob's point of view following....hope its true!!!"

OMG, me too! I would absolutely love it if she did that!

message 46: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Nyaore wrote: ".... Someone willing to commit genocide against an entire group of people over the telling of a folk tale is awesome? A group that has yet to really do anything to him, aside from trying to uphold ..."

What folk tale? It's suppose to be real in the book and the Cullen's didn't attack the wolves. Edward blew it off. Did you read the books?

message 47: by Katy (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Jordan wrote: "Colleen wrote: "i heard the book is being published in may of next year with another book from jacob's point of view following....hope its true!!!"

OMG, me too! I would absolutely love it if she d..."

Not true. There is no Jacobs point of view book...that was a joke and Stephanie's last interview she said she was sick of vampires and didn't answer if or when she would finish. However if you visit her site you will see that in '08 she said it would be her next project. It's pretty annoying.

message 48: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Katy wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Colleen wrote: "i heard the book is being published in may of next year with another book from jacob's point of view following....hope its true!!!"

OMG, me too! I would absolutely l..."

yea good point there.

message 49: by Olivia (new)

Olivia i heard that she was still working on midnight sun, somwhere around that..

Colleen Stitch i found a web post about the release. yea, next may? p.s. that was written in 08. so dissappointing! what is the truth?

« previous 1 3