What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > short Christmas story, an older mother hoping for grown children to come home

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments short story, Christmas: Old woman/ mother lives alone, waiting and/or hoping for her grown children to come visit. Grown children are busy, greedy, etc, but in the end I think they did come.

I think I read this between 1995-2005. It seems that it was in a collection of short stories, by different authors, so I'm not sure when it would have been written.

Sorry I don't have more.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Good luck, Kate, on finding your book. I'm moving this to the Unsolved folder, where book searches are generally posted.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Kate, are you still looking for this story? Were all the stories in the collection Christmas-themed?

message 4: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Thanks for your interest. Yes, I am still wanting to know the title and author. I do believe that it was in a Christmas collection.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Here are a few guesses:

Another Family Christmas: A Collection of Short Stories by Clare Boylan?
Christmas in My Heart: A Treasury of Timeless Christmas Stories by Joe L. Wheeler? (He has a few collections.)

There are a lot of short story collections about Christmas. Any more clues to help us find your book?

- Written for adults, teens or children?
- Contemporary or historical?
- Was the overall tone somber (loneliness), funny, not about romance, etc.?
- Location/setting? All about families?
- Not famous stories like Dickens' A Christmas Carol or famous authors?

message 6: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 372 comments Unfortunately, I think the children not coming home for the holidays is a common theme, so it may be hard to find this without more details.

message 7: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Kris. I wasn't familiar with those authors, but looked at the names of the stories - none seem to fit.

I appreciate your help. I am determined to find this and will post the title when I do!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mcpheat | 15 comments This Year It Will Be Different by Maeve Binchy is a collection of Christmas stories.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
There was a movie starring Loretta Young with this theme. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090838/p... I don't know if it was based on a book/short story or not. Altho in the movie she was trying to re-unite her son with his estranged children. I don't know if it's available on DVD/Blueray or not, but you could check that out too. (And the IMDB page that I linked isn't a lot of help, either.)

message 10: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Nancy, thanks for mentioning the Binchy book. I don't remember whether I have read that (it isn't in my Goodreads record but I may have overlooked it). I will let you know!

message 11: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Ann, I don't think that is the book because I don't recall the illness and the mood of desperation that this movie synopsis describes. I may look for the movie, though! Thanks.

message 12: by Jool (new)

Jool (jools4853) Kate, not sure this is it as this is more of a lovely picture book - in a poem format - but oh my gosh it is the most lovely small coffee table book for the holidays: A Cup of Christmas Tea
--Jool

kate wrote: "short story, Christmas: Old woman/ mother lives alone, waiting and/or hoping for her grown children to come visit.

message 13: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Nancy, I read the Binchy story and it isn't the one I am trying to find. (I could explain but no real point to that!) But now I will read these stories, so that's fun. Thanks again!

message 14: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Jool, I will look for this book. That's for the recommendation.

message 15: by Jool (new)

Jool (jools4853) You'll enjoy it. It is like a picture book for adults. Lovely watercolors. A nice book to display over the holidays.

kate wrote: "Jool, I will look for this book. That's for the recommendation."

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Dec 17, 2013 03:50PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Jool--I watched the movie (which is how I knew to look for it) and didn't think it was quite that desperate. In fact, I enjoyed it and thought that it was quite up-lifting. (But should mention, I'm a push over of a good, weepy, "everything turns out right in the end because it's Christmas" movie.)

message 17: by Jool (new)

Jool (jools4853) Ooh, I did not realize they had made a movie out of that. Yes, the book was a sweet, weepy one that turns out nicely. It does make me seriously remember my solitary loved ones at Christmas!

Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Jool--I watched the movie (which is how I knew to look for it) and didn't think it was quite that desperate. In fact, I enjoyed it and thought that it was quite up-lifting. (But should mention, I'm..."

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 19: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Yes, I am still looking. I was going to make a list of all my Goodreads Christmas books since Nov 2008. But didn't. Any ideas, Lobstergirl? (The "Cup of Christmas Tea" story (recommended above) was pleasant, by the way.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Weirdly enough, short stories about Christmas are probably the subgenre I read least! I hope some of our newer members might recognize it.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

What decade is the story set in?

message 22: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Contemporary, I believe.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 24: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments Well, I'm still thinking about it, at least during the Christmas season. It was a good story - probably getting better each year that I don't reread it!
Thanks for your query!

message 25: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16897 comments Still looking for this one?

It's nearly Christmas again.

message 26: by kate (new)

kate | 16 comments I am still hoping to find it!