2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures
This topic is about Parasite Rex
ARCHIVE 2013 > Karina & Kara: Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley We will discuss Parasite Rex : Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures in this thread. Remember to mark spoilers.

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Can I join you two? :)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Of course, Trevor!

Robyn | -15 comments can i join as well? I think my husband already owns this book. Im trying to expand my reading horizons and this is definately different for me

message 5: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments We'd love to have you, Robyn!

Robyn | -15 comments i told my husband i needed to borrow this book. he stared at me for a little while then was all excited that i was reading about bugs lol.

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Haha. :) I've always been a bit of a parasite geek, though that seems like a strange thing to say!

message 8: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Have you all seen that TV show, Monsters Inside Me? I'm totally enthralled whenever it's on. (It's done in a super tacky, dramatized way, but I LOVE it.)

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) haha! I'm pretty excited for this read. It is certainly FAR from my comfort zone. :D

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Well, I started reading while waiting for the fireworks to quiet down. ;) Only about 10% in, but I like the author's style - engaging and easy-read!

Robyn | -15 comments I will be starting this one on monday the 7th, I gave my husband til then to finish it up. after that its fair game to steal

message 12: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Haha, that's awesome, Robyn. I'll start around then too.

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Kara wrote: "Have you all seen that TV show, Monsters Inside Me? I'm totally enthralled whenever it's on. (It's done in a super tacky, dramatized way, but I LOVE it.)"

Hadn't heard of this, but might go track it down now. :)

I'm learning a lot from reading this! And most of it is quite horrifying. And awe-inspiring, actually.

message 14: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Anyone else have a gross feeling in the back of their throat while reading this? ech. LoL! ;)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments I only really felt awkward in the bit about toxoplasma. ;) (Grow up around cats, you probably can't avoid that one) - But I did see some reviews from people recommending this book to convince others to become vegetarians, hah.

message 16: by Nathan (last edited Jan 04, 2013 07:01PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Karina wrote: "But I did see some reviews from people recommending this book to convince others to become vegetarians, hah."

Yeah I can see that happening! It's really grossing me out most of the time! Then again I was never one of those boys who was into gross stuff.
I'm not even that far into it yet. I think I'll finish though, because it is incredibly interesting. And counts toward my NF challenge! haha

Robyn | -15 comments im just starting this one, i have made it through the prologue and am surprisingly intruiged! I just read the line, "Scraping his teeth, he discovered rod shaped creatures living on them, which he could kill with a sip of hot coffee" I am taking this to mean that if i drink enough coffee it will take care of any little bugs in my mouth... sounds like a good excuse to get some coffee!

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Good reasoning, Robyn! :D

There is some interesting stuff later in the book about how modern parasite-less (well, reduced) living may infact be detrimental to human health - I hope just saying that isn't considered a spoiler...

Robyn | -15 comments Karina wrote: "Good reasoning, Robyn! :D

There is some interesting stuff later in the book about how modern parasite-less (well, reduced) living may infact be detrimental to human health - I hope just saying t..."

so i should drink more coffee and clean less!? this book gets at least two stars for me just from that : )

message 20: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Wow, just started, and this book is a lot of fun! It's kind of creepy, but it's written in a really engaging way.

Has anyone played Plague, Inc? Your objective is that you're a disease, and you're trying to obliterate all of civilization by evolving traits. It's a ripoff of Pandemic, but it's better, and it has a parasite mode.

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Yesyesyes. I played Pandemic to death, have been doing the same to Plague Inc for a few months now. :D No one ever understands why I always shake my fist at any mention of Madagascar.

message 22: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Have you gotten the neurax worm yet? It controls its host's behavior, and it's awesome.

message 23: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments SPEAKING of controlling behavior, I just got to that chapter in the book. Super creepy. I had no idea that toxoplasma might be the cause of behavioral changes in people. I have a cat (and grew up around cats) much like Karina. Yikes.

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Kara wrote: "Have you gotten the neurax worm yet? It controls its host's behavior, and it's awesome."

I don't remember where I left off, last time I played! :)

The Norwegian tabloids like to run some scare stories about toxoplasma every year, so it wasn't completely unknown to me - but the book actually made me feel better about it, because, well, a human is not a rat.

message 25: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Haha, right. Exactly.

Robyn | -15 comments thank you parasite rex for giving me such a vivid dream this morning.. nothing like waking up from a dream where your eyes are full of pulsating movement. on closer inspection you realize your eyes are made up if tiny wormy parasites that then crawl over your face. yum. no more parasite rex before bed

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Robyn wrote: "thank you parasite rex for giving me such a vivid dream this morning.. nothing like waking up from a dream where your eyes are full of pulsating movement. on closer inspection you realize your eyes..."

LoL! I had the exact same thought. I had it by my bed and started reading and I thought, you know what, this is a bad decision. I'll read it in the morning. haha

Robyn | -15 comments i just read the section talking about tracing back the origins of parasites and how they use tree stumps etc to do this. it reminded me of the episode of x files i watched with my husband yesterday where a tree is cut down and all of the tiny green spiders come out and start eating people. i think i need to watch some more x files tonight

Robyn | -15 comments finished with a few days to spare! I really enjoyed this book, got a few raised eyebrows when I read it at the park next to all the other moms : ). glad I saw this buddy read and joined or I would have never picked this one up

message 30: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments Yay, I'm so glad you liked it, Robyn! This is definitely one of the most interesting books I've read in a long time.