The Novella Club discussion

Group reads > Nominate a novella for February 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (last edited Dec 26, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Please feel free to nominate a novella for the group to read in February 2013. No more than 200 pages (my idea of a novella is 50 to 120 pages - but the group has ruled 200).

Nominations will close on the 29th or as soon as ten books have been placed in nomination.

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

In 1887, a young Arthur Conan Doyle published A Study in Scarlet, creating an international icon in the quick-witted sleuth Sherlock Holmes. In this very first Holmes mystery, the detective introduces himself to Dr. John H. Watson with the puzzling line “You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive,” and so begins Watson’s, and the world’s, fascination with this enigmatic character. In A Study in Scarlet, Doyle presents two equally perplexing mysteries for Holmes to solve: one a murder that takes place in the shadowy outskirts of London, in a locked room where the haunting word Rache is written upon the wall, the other a kidnapping set in the American West. Picking up the “scarlet thread of murder running through the colourless skein of life,” Holmes demonstrates his uncanny knack for finding the truth, tapping into powers of deduction that still captivate readers today.

message 3: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 8 comments If the group has not read it before, I would like to nominate a novella from the MEMORY WALL, by Anthony Duerr. This collection of stories and novellas (with strong reviews) explores aspects of memory in stories that are set on different continents. In consulting the reviews on Goodreads, the most highly recommended are two novellas in the 50-100 page range. One is the title story, "The Memory Wall" and the other is "Afterworld." Perhaps members could choose and we could compare notes on two levels: about each story and about the two. BLR

message 4: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Chelsea wrote: "If the group has not read this book, I wish to nominate The Ponder Heart."

OMG - I have The Ponder Heart by Eudora Welty The Ponder Heart by Eudora Welty on my bed right now. I have just started to re-read it. This is a sign, an omen.

Uncle Daniel Ponder, whose fortune is exceeded only by his desire to give it away, is a source of vexation for his niece, Edna Earle. Uncle Daniel's trial for the alleged murder of his seventeen-year-old bride is a comic masterpiece. Awarded the William Dean Howells Medal of the american Academy of Arts and Letters.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Bernice wrote: "If the group has not read it before, I would like to nominate a novella from the MEMORY WALL, by Anthony Duerr. This collection of stories and novellas (with strong reviews) explores aspects of mem..."

Memory Wall Stories by Anthony Doerr Memory Wall: Stories by Anthony Doerr

Anthony Doerr, a Guggenheim Fellow, has had his fiction honored with three O. Henry Prizes and the Rome Prize, among other accolades. This collection’s titular story won the National Magazine Award for Fiction, and each poignant tale touches in some way on the elusiveness of memory and on humans’ daily interaction with fleeting—and not so fleeting—remembrances. “Doerr has set a new standard for what a story can do.”—Dave Eggers

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

The Civil War, with brother pitted against brother, is perhaps the most traumatic event in U.S. history. Of all American novels, The Red Badge of Courage most powerfully captures the sights and sounds of that conflict, and the emotions of those who fought. Seduced by dreams of military glory, Henry Fleming enlists in the Union Army, only to discover that real warfare is radically different from his fantasies. We see every incident from Henry's point of view--from his anxiety before battle and confusion and terror of actual conflict--giving us a particularly vivid sense of a soldier's experience. A truly classic work of American literature

message 7: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Edel wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44... Love Letter's Of great Men as it is Febuary the month that gives us Valentine's day."

Love Letters of Great Men

message 8: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
nominations are closed