2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Barbara's 2013 Reading challenge - 100 books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I am undecided about how many books I should set as my challenge. In 2012 I had a challenge of 100 books and exceeded that number. BUT I was on sabbatical which gave me more time for reading. In 2011 I read 94. So I think I will try for 100. I include audiobooks which allows me another one or two a month I get through when commuting.

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I'm planning on trying audio books. Can you tell me how long does it take to listen to say... a 300 paged book?

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I'd say that a book of around 300 pages would take around 11 hours, checking on Audible. But on my iPad, I can speed up the speed to 1.5 which I do when I find the narrator slow. My commute by car is about 2 hours a day so I can get through most books in 5 days and a little more.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Thanks! That's a lot of hours but it's still workable since I read multiple books at one time sometimes.

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments Right now, I have 9 books going on Goodreads and I haven't listed my current audiobook. But, 3 of them are non-fiction, one is a young readers book, and one is a collection of short fiction. One is an ebook and I find I don't read those much except when traveling.

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments OMG! Never mind! I could never come close to reading that many books at one time.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 5 comments Hi,

my target is 100 for 2013 as well. I usually read a book in 3-5 days. Just reading Lee Childs Without Fail, although over Christmas a little longer than usual.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I take about the same amount of time to read a book. But this year I have actually consciously spent more time reading. Traveling also helps as I bring audiobooks (if I'm driving) or ebooks and physical books if I am flying. Some of my books are 400 pages or more so I don't feel guilty if I include a novela or a young adult book. I still haven't finished Mary Queen of Scots which is over 700 pages -eek! I brought it on a 3 week trip to Europe in the fall, though it wasn't the only book I brought. In 2011 when I wasn't on sabbatical I managed to read 94 books.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I've read 11 books so far so I am a little bit ahead. I am reading 2 books and listening to one audiobook and will be done with all 3 by the weekend.

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) My goal is 100 as well. I'm on my 10th book at the moment, The Cold Eye of Heaven. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks as I like to have the actual book but you have a good system going. I find it a bit hard to read a good few books at a time because I'm very forgetful and I often get the story lines mixed up! Anyway, good luck with your challenge! I'm rooting for you! :-)

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I've read 22 books and am 4 books ahead of schedule. I always am reading at least on physical book, and carry my mini iPad with books on Kobo and Kindle, and I listen to about 3 audiobooks a month driving back and forth to work.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments Rather than rewrite my entire list here with dates read, I am posting a link to my 2013 read books. BUT it also includes the books I haven't finished yet. Oddly it doesn't seem to include all the books I am currently reading. I suspect that books I started in 2012 and didn't mark as 2013, and haven't finished aren't on this list:)
my link text

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments Jack wrote: "My goal is 100 as well. I'm on my 10th book at the moment, The Cold Eye of Heaven. I'm not a big fan of audiobooks as I like to have the actual book but you have a good system going. I find it a bi..."

Yes, I discovered this week when I was listening to a mystery on audiobook and reading another mystery, I occasionally got confused. It helps to read different genres at the same time. Right now I am reading a book of essays on knitting on ebook, listening to a memoir and reading a mystery. I carry around my mini iPad and can read when waiting for whatever reason. I do like listening to audiobooks on my commute to and from work but on the weekends, I am tempted to listen, and do at times.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I've read 27 books towards my goal! my link text
I am 7 books ahead. It looks like I will exceed my goal. I just want to read so many of the books on my shelves, but I continue to buy more and swap more. This summer I will try to read books on specific themes which is a great way to get through some books that have been lingering on my shelves. Possible categories:
- Chile and Argentina (have at least half a dozen books on my to-read list)
- Books about poets, writers and poetry (have 6 or more waiting to be read)
- Scottish Noir (mysteries)
- Irish historical novels

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments Tomorrow is April 1st and I've read 31 books. I am 7 books ahead of schedule. Listening to audiobooks on my commute helps a lot as 7 of my books are audiobooks:) However, about a third of the time I decide I would have enjoyed that particular book better as a read book.

message 16: by Barbara (last edited Apr 16, 2013 05:05AM) (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments Today is April 16th and I've read 36 books. I am 7 books ahead of schedule.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments It's May 23rd and I am 10 books ahead in my goal of reading 100 books this year! I've read 49 books and this summer I will be reading more than usual.

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments I'm up to 63 books and 16 ahead of schedule:)

message 19: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments What books have you read so far? I am just curious. I know there are quite a few.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 35 comments The easiest way to share is via my list of 2013 reads
my link text

My favorites were :
TransAtlantic by Colum McCann
The Catastrophist by Ronan Bennett
Imagining Argentina by Lawrence Thornton (a re-read)
Perla by Carolina de Robertis
My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks ( a re-read)
Also lots of good mysteries - my favorites were the Icelandic ones.