Kinder- Und Haus-M�rchen: Bd. 3 Kinder- Und Haus-M�rchen discussion

In comparison to Straparola, Basile, and Perrault, do the Grimm Brothers censor their tales?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edward (new)

Edward Batres Ja. When I read "The Little Red Riding Hood" in French by Perrault and then the Grimms' version of the same tale, the French version was more indifferent towards the protagonist's life. It is even more evident when one compares "Petrosinella" by Giambattista Basile to "Rapunzel" by the Grimms. Sex is non-existent in Rapunzel. I think that the Grimms wrote their fairy tales towards two audiences: adults AND children. While the French wrote them for the court of Louis XIIV and the Italians wrote them for adults, the Grimms needed to incorporate Christian orthodoxy to make it appropriate for their audiences.

message 2: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna They absolutely did. I did a college research paper regarding it, if you are interested in reading it.

In a nutshell - the Grimm Brothers were trying to preserve the German language and culture that was preserved in the tales. They tweaked the stories to reflect that. Also, the two brothers were fairly religious. Between the first and seventh editions of their books, you will see the fairies in Das Madchen Ohne Hande turn into angels.

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward Batres Shawna wrote: "They absolutely did. I did a college research paper regarding it, if you are interested in reading it.

In a nutshell - the Grimm Brothers were trying to preserve the German language and culture t..."

Coolio! I would like to read your paper. I have an account in Academia.