Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > January 2013: Food/Drink

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Dec 27, 2012 12:40AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Polling for January's theme has ended, and the winner is Food/Drink!

So now it's time to choose a book for you to read in the upcoming month! If you can tie a book in any way to food or drink, it counts for the general food/drink theme. This could be classics like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or James and the Giant Peach, a food/drink or food/drink shop themed mystery series like Goldy Bear Culinary Mysteries and similar, books about or involving eating disorders and food/drink addiction, books with food on the cover or in the title, books that take place on farms/ranches, or to be really creative, a horror story in which the characters risk being eaten themselves! ;)

If you want to discuss the book with others who have chosen it, remember to create a new thread in the proper folder and attach the book to it.

If you won't be able to read a food/drink book this month for whatever reason, you can still head on over to the Theme Rebels folder and tell us about what you're reading instead.

If you're having a hard time finding a food/drink book, you can check the site's cumulative "food" shelf, which has thousands of food-related books to chose from! If all else fails, there's always the "Pick It For Me" feature.

And don't forget to vote for February's theme. The poll for March's theme will be open for voting on January first.

Happy reading, everyone, and have a great new year!

message 3: by Lawrl (new)

Lawrl | 4 comments I'm going to read The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman by Allegra Gooodman. I've never read any of her other works but it looked interesting.

Bevin Kutluoglu People have told me I'm weird but I read cookbooks as though they're novels. I figure this counts for this theme, eh? Ha ha. So I'll be reading the rest of my Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 & 2 The Essential Cooking Classics by Julia Child . I also hope to purchase Stephanie Izard's Girl in the Kitchen How a Top Chef Cooks, Thinks, Shops, Eats & Drinks by Stephanie Izard , which I started a while ago but had to return to the library.

... this to start :)

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (eden1013) Not sure about this month. Here are some I'm considering: The Goddess of Fried Okra by Jean Brashear , Chop Suey by Ty Hutchinson , Cool Beans (Maya Davis, #1) by Erynn Mangum , Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7) by Cleo Coyle , and The Parrot Talks In Chocolate (The Life And Times Of A Hawaiian Tiki Bar) by Everett Peacock .

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I am going to read Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf . Came from http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14.... This is a good source of book ideas for this months theme.

message 7: by Candace (new)

Candace | 59 comments I think that I will read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and Like Water for Chocolate for January's theme.

message 8: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 33 comments I still haven't finished Bruno, Chief Of Police but after that I'll read The Dark Vineyard for this theme

message 9: by Emily (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

Emily Stites (charms92) | 18 comments Ok, I know that even though this book fits with the theme, it will be a little "unsettling" to say the least. I want to read Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg. I saw the movie a few years back, and the story of this man just caught my attention.

And if I have time I would also like to read The Jeffrey Dahmer Story: An American Nightmare which deals with another cannibal (and serial killer).

I figured I would try and think out of the box for this theme. :o

message 10: by Dana (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:04AM) (new)

Dana Crouch (Callaway) (bookknurd) | 101 comments I think I'm definitely going to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and then I'll try to fit in Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink. Pretty excited for this theme since I am a self-declared foodie! I'm sure I can come up with some other theme books if I look around enough.

If anyone is looking for ideas, I'll second Candace's choices of Like Water for Chocolate andFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Also, The Candymakers is a great children's book (middle grade level).

Edit: And I also recommend My Life in France and Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen, though both may make you extremely hungry.

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I'm planning on reading Eat the City A Tale of the Fishers, Foragers, Butchers, Farmers, Poultry Minders, Sugar Refiners, Cane Cutters, Beekeepers, Winemakers, and Brewers Who Built New York by Robin Shulman . This book will help me knock out our theme food/drink and also cover the state of New York in the Around the USA in 52 books challenge/group.

message 12: by Lamilla (last edited Dec 30, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Lamilla Janet wrote: "I am going to read <..> Came from http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14.... This is a good source of book ideas for this months theme."
Thanks for the link, Janet! The theme now seems to be not that impossible to fit, after all!

I'm going to try The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd I got picked up for me a few months ago for the pick-it-up challenge and haven't read yet.

message 13: by Jana (last edited Jan 02, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Jana (jana_marie) | 26 comments I'm planning to read Talking with My Mouth Full My Life as a Professional Eater by Gail Simmons and possibly Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell . I started Tomatoland How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit by Barry Estabrook for the author I've never read theme, but haven't finished so maybe it will overlap the two! I really want to read Les Misérables by Victor Hugo before seeing the movie, so I might not be overly ambitious on this month's theme. Surely they eat at some point in Les Mis, right? :)

Edit: The Omnivore's Dilemma A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan was a Kindle Daily deal, so I better add that to the list as well!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments I'm a theme rebel this month and will read "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" by Stephen King. On Writing by Stephen King

My creative writing class instructor recommended the book.

message 15: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla Tara wrote: "I'm a theme rebel this month and will read "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" by Stephen King. On Writing by Stephen King

My creative writing class instructor recommended the book."

I read this a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It was really nice to get to know King as a person

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Stites (charms92) | 18 comments Jana wrote: "I'm planning to read Talking with My Mouth Full My Life as a Professional Eater by Gail Simmons and possibly Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell..."

Les Misérables is such a wonderful book :) I didn't even know they were making a movie from it.

message 17: by Claire-Jane (new)

Claire-Jane First one of the year & indeed the theme done and dusted . . .Kitchen Confidential Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - Laugh out loud funny in places and a very good read . . .

I'm off topic for the next book but shall return.

message 18: by Lawrl (new)

Lawrl | 4 comments I already dropped my book (The Cookbook Collector) because I couldn't stand it. So I'll try to find something else food-related for this month.

In the meantime I'm being a rebel and reading A Wild Sheep Chase.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm planning to read The Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver.

message 20: by Melissa (last edited Jan 01, 2013 07:45PM) (new)

Melissa I have several books on my TBR list for this theme, I am going to start with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer .

Some others I'm thinking about reading are The Baker's Man by Jennifer Moorman Seduction by Chocolate by Nina Bangs and An Apple from Eve by Betty Neels . These depends on how some of my other reading go though. Depends on how busy January gets!

message 21: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I'm going to add Oranges & Sunshine to my books for this theme.

message 22: by Lorna (new)

Lorna I just started Quinoa Cuisine.

message 24: by Shomeret (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:48PM) (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I'm planning to purchase a cookbook which is something I don't normally do. I'm not doing it to read according to this theme. It's a very unusual cookbook and it happens to comply with this theme. That said, I may not get to it this month. So I'm probably going to be a Theme Rebel.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorna wrote: "I just started Quinoa Cuisine."

That sounds good to me! I just put it on my TBR list.

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 63 comments I will be reading Skinny by Ibi Kaslik

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily Stites (charms92) | 18 comments Vicki wrote: "I will be reading Skinny by Ibi Kaslik"

That is a great book! Let me know what you think when you're done! :)

message 28: by Heidi (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Heidi (butbooksarebetter) I ordered in the Friendship Bread for this month's read, but am finding it very hard to get into - I don't often give up on a book, but not sure if I can finish it, nothing much is actually happening ...

message 29: by La_mariane (last edited Jan 03, 2013 05:11AM) (new)

La_mariane I'm going to read Sacred Cow, Mad Cow: A History of Food Fears by Madeleine Ferrieres : it's going to be a totally new subject since I'm not a historian at all.

message 30: by Tammy (last edited Jan 03, 2013 04:35AM) (new)

Tammy | 54 comments I am reading Hungry Planet

message 31: by Megan (new)

Megan I'll most likely be reading Chocolat or The Joy Luck Club

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Giessuebel | 10 comments I will most likely read Julie and Julia or maybe Eat, Pray, Love.

message 33: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Megan wrote: "I'll most likely be reading Chocolat or The Joy Luck Club"

I'll be reading Chocolat mostly likely, too. I was thinking about reading it after the two I chose to start wtih.

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) Im in the hospital and forgot to bring Plum Spooky with me, so I guess I will be a theme rebel this month, darn it! I am finishing up Tail Spin and then I will probably start A Game of Thrones

message 35: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaanne) This will be my first read with this team/group. :-) I have chosen Killer Critique by Alexander Campion by Alexander Campion. It is a cozy mystery and my first by this author.

Happy to be here.

message 36: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Chelsea Anne wrote: "This will be my first read with this team/group. :-) I have chosen Killer Critique by Alexander Campion by Alexander Campion. It is a cozy mystery and my first by this author.

Happy to be here."

Welcome to the group, Chelsea Anne. Best of luck with your first theme. :)

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 28 comments For this month I'm going to read i Swedish book I sadly can't find on Goodreads. It's about the food industry and all the weird artificial things you can find in food. I've heard that there are some things in the book that will really make you think about what is actually in your food.

message 38: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla Jenny wrote: "For this month I'm going to read i Swedish book I sadly can't find on Goodreads. "
You can add it yourself (or ask a librarian to do it)

message 39: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Harrison | 35 comments Janet wrote: "I am going to read Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Came from http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14.... This is a good source of book ideas for this months theme."
Aaaaah, Janet, you are a lifesaver! I just wasn't feeling any of my book selections this month. This is an awesome list!

message 40: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane I'm also reading The Tea Lover's Guide by Delmas, which seems a very good book. I'll soon know all abou tea, which is not a bad thing given how much of it I drink.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments How about The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals? I've been wanting to read it and it seems like now is as good a time as ever!

message 42: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla @Jackie, you reminded me of the book I was meant to read a long time ago. My second choice for this theme is Tea Classified by Jane Pettigrew , then!

message 43: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane Lamilla wrote: "@Jackie, you reminded me of the book I was meant to read a long time ago. My second choice for this theme is Tea Classified by Jane Pettigrew, then!"

Your book about tea sounds about the same as the one I've chosen.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily Stites (charms92) | 18 comments After completing The Jeffrey Dahmer Story An American Nightmare by Don Davis and Cannibal The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg by Lois Jones for this months theme, I decided to just keep reading books based on the theme. The next books I have planned are Off Season by Jack Ketchum , Perfect Anorexia & Me by Emily Halban , and Thin by Grace Bowman . The first dealing with cannibals, and the last two, overcoming eating disorders.

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Emily wrote: "After completing The Jeffrey Dahmer Story An American Nightmare by Don Davis and Cannibal The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg by Lois Jones for this months theme, I decided..."

Another one that you should read along the lines of eating disorders is Brave Girl Eating A Family's Struggle with Anorexia by Harriet Brown . Not very long and an interesting read.

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily Stites (charms92) | 18 comments Jackie wrote: "Emily wrote: "After completing The Jeffrey Dahmer Story An American Nightmare by Don Davis and Cannibal The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg by Lois Jones for this months th..."

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm surprised I don't already have it added to my "to-read" shelf. But I'm definitely going to add it!

message 47: by Caterina (new)

Caterina I was going to skip this theme because it just wasn't doing it for me... and today I stumbled upon this book ... Vanity Fare: A novel of lattes, literature, and loveand I'm reconsidering. Looks yummy, doesn't it?!?!

message 48: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I needed a quick, easy, mindless read for a change of pace, so I'm reading Glazed Murder ( Donut Shop Mystery, #1) by Jessica Beck , complete with a nice donut on the cover.

message 49: by Jayme (last edited Jan 05, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Jayme Lawrl wrote: "I already dropped my book (The Cookbook Collector) because I couldn't stand it. So I'll try to find something else food-related for this month.

In the meantime I'm being a rebel and reading A Wild..."

I felt the same way about The Cookbook Collector. I wish I had stopped reading the book.

message 50: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Jayme wrote: "I felt the same way about The Cookbook Collector. I wish I had stopped reading the book. "

I know what you mean. The donut story was a big waste of time ... I only finished it because it was so short and I skimmed some. I need to find a better mindless quick-read.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.