Asura: Tale Of The Vanquished Asura question

Is sita Ravana"s daughter
Eden Eden Dec 26, 2012 08:31AM
Book depicts sita has ravana's daughter. This is surprise for me when i read those part .it forced me to re read those part whether i got it wrong or it was an interpretation from author. but i heard that there was some speculation about sita"s birth and the author's viewpoint is one among them.

well there is definitely some evidence that raises a question.. refer to the different versions of Ramayan -

Sita's origin has been the subject of scholarly studies. Sita's birth and parentage have been depicted differently in different versions of Ramayana.[6]
Valmiki's Ramayana: In Valmiki's Ramayana and Kamban's Tamil epic Ramavataram, Sita is said to have discovered in a furrow in a ploughed field, and for that reason is regarded as a daughter of Bhūmi Devi [7] (the goddess earth), Sita Birthstar is Ashlesha Constellation . She was discovered, adopted and brought up by Janaka, king of Mithila, and his wife Sunayana.
Ramayana Manjari: In Ramayana Manjari (verses 344–366), North-western and Bengal recensions of Valmiki Ramayana, it has been described as on hearing a voice from the sky and then seeing Menaka, Janaka expresses his wish to obtain a child. And when he finds the child, he hears the same voice again telling him the infant is his spiritual child, born of Menaka.[6]
Janka's real daughter: In Ramopkhyana of the Mahabharata and also in Paumachariya of Vimala Suri, Sita has been depicted as Janaka's real daughter. According to Rev. Fr. C. Bulcke, this motif that Sita was the real daughter of Janaka, as described in Ramopkhyana Mahabharata was based on the authentic version of Valmiki Ramayana. Later the story of Sita miraculously appearing in furrow was inserted in Valmiki Ramayana.[6]
Reincarnation of Vedavati: Some versions of the Ramayana suggest that Sita was a reincarnation of Vedavati. Ravana tried to molest Vedavati and her chastity was sullied beyond Ravana's redemption when she was performing penance to become consort of Vishnu. Vedavati immolated herself on a pyre to escape Ravana lust, vowing to return in another age and be the cause of Ravana's destruction. She was duly reborn as Sita.[6]
Reincarnation of Manivati: According to Gunabhadra's Uttara Purana of the ninth century BCE, Ravana disturbs asceticism of Manivati, daughter of Amitavega of Alkapuri, and she pledges to take revenge on Ravana. Manivati is later reborn as the daughter of Ravana and Mandodari. But, astrologers predict ruin of Ravana because of this child. So, Ravana orders to kill the child. Manivati is placed in a casket and buried in the ground of Mithila where she is discovered by some of the farmers of the kingdom. Then Janka, king of that state adopts her.[6]
Ravana's daughter: In Sanghadasa's Jaina version of Ramayana of the 5th century BCE, Sita, entitled Vasudevahindi, is born as daughter of Ravana. According to this version, astrologers predict that first child of Vidyadhara Maya (Ravana's wife) will destroy his lineage. That's why Ravana abandons her and orders the infant to be buried in a distant land where she is later discovered and adopted by Janka.[6]

Xenocentrist (last edited Oct 20, 2013 11:42PM ) Oct 20, 2013 11:42PM   0 votes
The book is all a damn fiction thing. And i don't understand why the author has presented that Bhadra is sole-responsible for each & everything happened in the Ramayana. I didn't like the way he portrayed Ravana, in some movies he's portrayed very well than this.

jordan wrote: "Book depicts sita has ravana's daughter. This is surprise for me when i read those part .it forced me to re read those part whether i got it wrong or it was an interpretation from author. but i ..."

There are many alternate myths where Ramayana is considered. Rahasya Ramayana says that Sita was Vedavathi reborn to Ravana who abandoned her at birth when astrologers prophesied that she would bring doom to him.

When Megha is explaining by quoting the Names of Authors of Ramayan, Why Amritha is treating it as "damn a alse excerpt". Let us enjoy that story also, nothing wrong in it.

It is believed that Ravana tried to force himself on Vedavathi (and not be the gentleman he is portrayed here) and she self-immolates, cursing him that if he ever tried to take a woman against her wishes, he would be destroyed. And then, she is reborn as Sita and discovered by Janaka. This is also the reason why Ravana tries hard to win Sita's consent rather than take her by force. Anand Neelakanthan though has interestingly humanised all aspects of Ramayana and so this is a good presentation. I am only half way, so curious to see how he explains what happens after he abducts her.

Meera Srikant Arent all epics very layered? Each character drives the hero towards a purpose.
Oct 20, 2013 11:45PM · flag
Sumeetha Manikandan True Meera.
Oct 20, 2013 11:56PM · flag

Amrita (last edited Feb 28, 2013 01:06AM ) Feb 28, 2013 12:55AM   0 votes
its damn a false excerpt

Yeah actually when you look into the mythological books they portray that Sita is Ravana's daughter. But even am not sure how true it is.