David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archives (Reading Challenges) > January: Authors Challenge (Old & New)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) January's reading challenge is something old and something new.

1 book from an author new to you
1 book from an old favorite

and as a bonus (if you can read three in a month) try

1 book from an author with something in common with you (same name, same initials, live in the same city...etc.)

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Love it!! Awesome challenge Tana!!

message 3: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I may have to try this one!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherphoto) | 8 comments I should be able to do this no problem.

message 5: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments I already found my author with something in common with me!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Who is it and what do they have in common? Please tell, I'm dying to know!!

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Do you have to read these books in january or can you already start now? and do you have to list the books you are going to read here?

message 8: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments DeAnna Kinney, and I think you can figure out what we have in common. ;)

message 9: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) Yes list the books your going to read here, and tells which is old and new....and if you do the bonus read, tell us what you have in common with the author.

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Jan 05, 2013 10:32PM) (new)

Tracy | 823 comments AUTHOR NEW TO ME
Jeaniene Frost-First Drop of Crimson
Abbi Glines-Existence
Colleen Hoover-Hopeless

OLD FAVORITE

SOMETHING IN COMMON

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

DeAnna wrote: "DeAnna Kinney, and I think you can figure out what we have in common. ;)"

Hehe perfect!!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Diaz (literarygetaway) | 17 comments awesome! I'll have to do this. I have plenty of authors I haven't read their work. Ellen Hopkins is an old favorite. And, does anybody like Andrea Cremer's work? (spelling?) I think she wrote the Nightshade series.

message 13: by Lola (last edited Jan 15, 2013 01:41PM) (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Okay here are the books I plan to read for this challenge:

1 book from an author new to you: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor - review
1 book from an old favorite: Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5) by Diana Rowland - review: http://lolabookreviews.blogspot.com/2...

1 book from an author with something in common with you (same name, same initials, live in the same city...etc.): Betrayed by Lauree Waldrop our names bgein both with an L (was really difficult to find an author with whom I have something in common)

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Nice! I've finished Living in the Dark (Darkness Through the Light, #1) by Rebekah Campbell which I'll count as having something in common with me as she's also an Indie author :)

I'm going to finish the The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness which is by Patrick Ness an author I'd never read until recently.

And for an old favorite, I'm going to read Theodore Boone The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2) by John Grisham by John Grisham, who I've read all but two books by :)

message 15: by DeAnna (last edited Jan 08, 2013 03:27PM) (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Already started this!

Old favorite: Richelle Mead Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead Finished 1/8/13

New to me: Cynthia Hand Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Finished 1/5/13

Someone I have something in common with: DeAnna Kinney (same first name, right down to the capital A) Charity Moon (Charity, #1) by DeAnna Kinney Finished 1/7/13

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

DeAnna wrote: "Already started this!

Old favorite: Richelle Mead. Currently reading Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead

New to me: Probably Tahereh Mafi. Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Someone I have something in ..."

Hehe nice one!!

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 823 comments I started and finished Existence today and have started Predestined. Although I won't finish this one tonight I am sure to finish this and the next by the weekend.

message 18: by Marla (last edited Feb 01, 2013 09:42PM) (new)

Marla | 308 comments January: Authors Challenge (Old & New)
David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!
Duration: January 2013

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach by Chad Harbach (1/2/13)
1 book from an old favorite
Wait For Marcy by Rosamond du Jardin by Rosamond Du Jardin (1/4/13)
1 book from an author with something in common with you
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks by Nicholas Sparks (2/1/13) - went to University of Notre Dame too

message 19: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (last edited Jan 07, 2013 07:29AM) (new)

Marla wrote: "January: Authors Challenge (Old & New)

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach by Chad Harbach ..."

You did it! Woot woot!! What does Rosamond Du Jardin have in common with you?

message 20: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Ok, here goes....

1 book from an author new to you - Undermountain by Eric Edstrom

1 book from an old favorite - Sun Dwellers by David Estes

1 book from an author with something in common with you - Riley's Secret by Christina Smith (we live in the same province).

message 21: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (dee84812) | 671 comments Finished!

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jonel wrote: "Ok, here goes....

1 book from an author with something in common with y..."

I'm an old favorite? Yay!!

message 23: by Jonel (new)

Jonel David wrote: "Jonel wrote: "Ok, here goes....

1 book from an author with something in..."

Of course!

message 24: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) Jonel I just seen your from Ontario too, I live in northern ontario - closer to the Manitoba border.

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments So I did finish one of the books on my challenge Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5) by Diana Rowland , here is my review: http://lolabookreviews.blogspot.com/2...

I am not sure if I can manage to read the other two, because I suddenly got a few new books for review and I still have a lot of review books to read, so I hope to catch up on those first.

message 26: by Marla (new)

Marla | 308 comments David wrote: " Marla wrote: "January: Authors Challenge (Old & New)

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach b..."

Sorry, to disappoint you David, but I still have to read the author who is in common with me and I'm going to read a Nicholas Sparks, because he also went to Univ of Notre Dame.

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Marla wrote: "David wrote: " Marla wrote: "January: Authors Challenge (Old & New)

[bookcover:The Art of Fieldi..."

Ohhh, I see, I totally missed that you hadn't done that one yet *smacks head* LOL, well enjoy your Nicholas Sparks book!

message 28: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Tana wrote: "Jonel I just seen your from Ontario too, I live in northern ontario - closer to the Manitoba border."

That means that I'm out closer to your neck of the woods for a horse show every summer than I am normally. You've got to love the fact that our province is the size of, or larger than, some countries.

message 29: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) lol thats so true, I travel for work sometimes and it takes me two flights to get to Toronto, mind you that is because I have to fly bearskin to Thunder Bay.

message 30: by Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (last edited Jan 16, 2013 04:37PM) (new)

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Awesome challenge idea!

New to Me: Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Old favourite: Fire Country (Country Saga, #1) by David Estes Currently reading
Author you have something in common with: Haven't decided yet.

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Catherine wrote: "Awesome challenge idea!

New to Me: Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Old favourite: Fire Country (Country Saga, #1) by David Estes Currently reading
Author you have something in common with: Haven't deci..."

Aww thanks! I'm an old favorite, that's heartwarming :)

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Not saying that your old or anything ;P Absolutely loving Fire Country so far!!!

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Haha! I didn't take it that way, I took it more like "treasured" or maybe I'm giving myself too much credit LOL Aww yay!!! Thank you so much for saying that, I hope you still like it at the end :P

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments I knew you wouldn't but I couldn't resist picking on you just a little :) ha ha :) and yep you are definitely treasured :)

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Hehe, I turn 32 this year which doesn't feel old but then again, if I lived in Fire Country I'd be on my death bed!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Your definitely not old. I'm only a few years behind you though some days I feel really old:(

message 37: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Haha, when I ride a bike and my knees hurt afterwards I feel really old. I used to be able to ride a bike for hours and hours and not feel a thing!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments There are so many things I can't do anymore without feeling old though some days I wonder if that has more to do with having kids then getting older?!?

message 39: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

LOL if so I have no excuses since I ain't got kids yet ;) But you can use it all you want and I'd say it's a pretty good reason, kids are the most tiring thing ever!

Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~ (jazzabella) | 87 comments Tiring is one word for it, I can think of many others to go with it lol. Yep yep its my excuse and I'm going to stick too it ha ha ha :)

message 41: by Tana (last edited Jan 17, 2013 07:36PM) (new)

Tana (tana_t) In the Band by Jean Haus 1 book from an author new to me

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4) by Jennifer Estep 1 book from an old favorite

1 book from an author with something in common with.

Ok the only book I can find that has something in common with me is

Chasing Nikki (Chasing Nikki, #1) by Lacey Weatherford Finding Chase (Chasing Nikki, #2) by Lacey Weatherford

there is a character with my name Tana in both books.

3/3 completed.

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Lol well done Tana!! That's awesome that you found your name in two characters!!!

message 43: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) lol I was sort of shocked to see my name it the book it is a pretty good ya romance series.

message 44: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (deb89) | 10 comments I think I'll participate. For my "old" favorite I'll pick Cursed, which I started yesterday. I'm now a Jennifer Armentrout fan.

For new I choose Shadow and Bone. I've been wanting to read this book for a while and just got it.

I don't know about reading 3 books, though. Wouldn't know what to choose. Any paranormal YA or Dystopian books out there that take place in Texas? Author named Debbie/Deborah? I'll take suggestions, but don't hold me to it. :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Ok, here we go!

Old favorite - Fire Country (Country Saga, #1) by David Estes

New to me - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

author with something in common - Archangel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #3) by David Estes . Pittsburgh played a major role for both of us!

3/3 - Done

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Well done Karen!!!

message 47: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I finished two books of my challenge, but I don't think I am going to read the third one this month.

message 48: by Anne (new)

Anne (crazybakingmom) | 115 comments Uniquely Unwelcome by Brandy Nacole 1 book by an author new to me

Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz 1 book by old favorite

TBR next -Book with something in common Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4) by H.D. Gordon - I live in NJ, not far from the Pine Barrens