Urban Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Book of the Month - January

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Okay, we are now taking nominations for January's BOM. (Authors, please do not recommend your own books.)

message 2: by Michelle (new)

I'm loving Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost , so I'll recommend it for the group read!

message 3: by Helene (new)

Helene I loved "girl of fire and thorns" by rae carson and "on the edge" by Ilona Andrews, and I highly recommend them :)

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments January?? How did it get to be January??? Of what year???

message 5: by Jakub (new)

Jakub (jnareb) | 21 comments On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

I'll second On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I'll third On the Edge.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Maria wrote: "January?? How did it get to be January??? Of what year???"

I know, right?? All of a sudden, I realized that December was coming to an end, and I'd better get it in gear, lol.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat Patterson | 1 comments Jakub wrote: "On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews

I'll second On the Edge by Ilona Andrews"

3rd vote for On the Edge.

Anyone that hasn't read them should def give them a whirl. I'm on the last book now.

I'd love to see some more nominations though: I need my next book! :D

message 9: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine Nouri (jazzmina) | 2 comments I suggest Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 11: by Esmeralda (new)

Esmeralda (nena10) | 2 comments Michelle L. wrote: "I'm loving Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost, so I'll recommend it for the group read!"

I second that!

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoria65) | 2 comments I'm reading (and loving) Blackout Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6) by Rob Thurman book 6 in the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. For the group read, I recommend Nighlife Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman book 1 in the series.

message 13: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 52 comments im going to nominate Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine as ive wanted to start it for ages!

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Victoria wrote: "I'm reading (and loving) Blackout Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6) by Rob Thurman book 6 in the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. For the group read, I recommend Nighlife Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman book 1 in the ..."

She's got a new series out, doesn't she? I'd like to try the new one. Is that Nightlife?

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Oh, you know another book I've been wanting to try?

Monster Hunter International

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniemark) Victoria wrote: "I'm reading (and loving) Blackout Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6) by Rob Thurman book 6 in the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. For the group read, I recommend Nighlife Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman book 1 in the ..."

I love the Cal Leadros books and book 8 Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8) by Rob Thurman comes out in march.
Her other series is Trickster. The first is Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1) by Rob Thurman. It's on my TBR list

message 17: by Pizzer1975 (new)

Pizzer1975 | 1 comments patient zero by Jonathan Maybury. outstanding

message 18: by Dobarah (new)

Dobarah | 7 comments Yasaman wrote: "I suggest Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh"

I'd join in the suggestion!

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Pizzer1975 wrote: "patient zero by Jonathan Maybury. outstanding"

Sounds pretty good. I just added it to my TBR pile.

message 20: by Victoria (last edited Dec 26, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Victoria (victoria65) | 2 comments Maria wrote: "She's got a new series out, doesn't she? I'd like to try the new one. Is that Nightlife? "

Nightlife is book 1 in the Cal Leandros series. She has two other series besides this one: the

Trickster series and The Korsak Brothers.

message 21: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Yeah, the Nightlife is the one I read. I don't think I've tried the the other series. I think. Will have to examine them. I read a rather lot of books...

message 22: by Gene (new)

Gene | 2 comments Maria wrote: "Oh, you know another book I've been wanting to try?

Monster Hunter International"

I've read the first two books in the series, very good. Tons and tons of action. And the story stands up well with all of the action going on.

Action.

Had to be said again.

message 23: by Gin (new)

Gin I'll nominate The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith

message 24: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Hey so what are the rules for the nominations. Can you nominate book 2 if book 1 is already in the group history? Are books considered if they already are in the group read history?
Nightlife - Aug 2010
On The Edge - Nov 2009
Halfway to the Grave - July 2009
Ill Wind - April 2009

So do you do re-nomination after a certain period, it would seem reasonable since there is so much interest in some of these and it has been a while... over 2 years for each nomination. I've been a member for a year and a half and have only read one of the above.

Still if you can nominate second in the series, Hounded by Kevin Hearne was read in July 2011. Can I nominate Hexed which is number 2.

Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Amyiw wrote: "Hey so what are the rules for the nominations. Can you nominate book 2 if book 1 is already in the group history? Are books considered if they already are in the group read history?
Nightlife - A..."

Rules...

1) Each person can nominate *one* book (and only one book).
2) Only UF books please (no straight fantasy, for example.)
3) Books can be re-nominated after two years.
4) Authors *may not* nominate their own books.
5) Nominations will be voted on by the UF members.

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I know I've nominated second and thirds in series and the rules don't forbid it!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle L. wrote: "Amyiw wrote: "Hey so what are the rules for the nominations. Can you nominate book 2 if book 1 is already in the group history? Are books considered if they already are in the group read history?..."

Okay, now I'm adding rule #6:

6) In order to nominate a book, you must be an *active* member of the UF group (you must have made at least 10 comments in *other* threads.)

Don't get me wrong...I love indie books, and I read a number of them myself. I'm not at all opposed to having an indie as a group read; however, I am growing very weary of people making single postings in the nominations thread in order to promote their own book or their bff's book or whatever.

message 28: by Karen (last edited Dec 27, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

Karen McGrath (kazm77) | 33 comments I wouldn't mind giving either Jeaniene Frost's Series Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Halfway to the Grave, Ilona Andrews, The Edge Series On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews On the Edge or Patricia Leever's Divinity by Patricia Leever Divinity, they're all on my TBR list.

message 29: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 7 comments Lorelle wrote: "im going to nominate Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine as ive wanted to start it for ages!"

It's a great series - you should definitely start it!

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Michelle L. wrote: "Michelle L. wrote: "Amyiw wrote: "Hey so what are the rules for the nominations. Can you nominate book 2 if book 1 is already in the group history? Are books considered if they already are in the..."
Maybe we can do a separate "read of the month" for indies with some special rules in place? It gets really hard though because too many authors send in a friend to do a nomination (or they do the nomination themselves). Makes it hard to sort the good books from just the books showing up.

One of the other groups I'm in recently put in a similar rule to what you just suggested--must participate in the group before just showing up and nominating (and then usually disappearing again.) Good call on the rule.

message 31: by Amyiw (last edited Dec 27, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Thanks for responding so fast about the rules. I like that you decided to allow for re-nominations for books over 2 years, so all the currently nominated books will go through. I would like to read any of them but still I am sticking with
Hexed by Kevin Hearne, as I just finished Hounded and loved it. :-)
Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne

I figure if people hadn't read Hounded it is not too hard to read 2 books. I guess I'll see if anyone will vote for it. I didn't read this months BOM because I've only read the first 4 of Dresden. It was #14.

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Maria wrote: "Good call on the rule. "

Amyiw wrote: Thanks for responding so fast about the rules. I like that you decided to allow for re-nominations for books over 2 years, so all the currently nominated books will go through."

I aim to please...most of the time... ;)

message 33: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Amyiw wrote: "Thanks for responding so fast about the rules. I like that you decided to allow for re-nominations for books over 2 years, so all the currently nominated books will go through. I would like to rea..."

Totally with you on the Dresden. I'm on book 2. Still. After, uh, a number of years. :>)

message 34: by Amy (new)

Amy Rosa I vote for Ill Wind by Rachel Caine. That series was amazing and I would love to read it again.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (lovesrotties) | 4 comments I'd like to read Angel's Blood....

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I'd like to read Angel's Blood...."

Who wrote that one, Jennifer?

message 37: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Maria wrote: "Oh, you know another book I've been wanting to try?

Monster Hunter International"

This is such a fun series!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.