The Sword and Laser discussion

What do you do with dust covers?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (maybesaveme) | 8 comments So I HATE dust covers, there I said it! They are annoying and most of the time I prefer the pretty blank naked book. I always remove them before I start reading a book that has one but yet I can't bring myself to throw them out!

A friend of mine tapes all her dust covers to the toilet wall! I was considering doing similar but not in the bathroom.

What do you do with them? Throw them out? Keep them on the book?

message 2: by Willeyeoney (new)

Willeyeoney | 20 comments I bought some rolls of the stuff they use in libraries and cover all my hardbacks.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2254 comments Willeyeoney wrote: "I bought some rolls of the stuff they use in libraries and cover all my hardbacks."

Ditto

message 4: by Rod (new)

Rod (terez07) | 97 comments Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done.

message 5: by Todd (new)

Todd (Motorcycleman) | 31 comments As a collector i'm finnicky about jacket condition so I take it off to read or protect it with a mylar cover.

Jackets protect the boards from finger oils and soil, but they also display the book's art, which for me is a huge part of the experience.

message 6: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments Generally they annoy me, but recently I've taken to using them as bookmarks.

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I don't mind them. I leave them on the book while it's sitting on my shelf but if I'm reading it, I take the cover off because it's annoying.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1137 comments I keep them on and use them as the bookmark.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott (srussell) | 16 comments I take them off while reading and return them to the book when done. I like the covers but they can be a pain while reading.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments I love the look of the books without the dust covers, but I also can't bring myself to throw them. I put them back on the books when I finish reading, because otherwise they just annoy me while I'm reading...but inevitably, they end up getting crumpled when not in use, and that is equally frustrating. >.< Honestly, dust-covers are one reason why I prefer to buy paperbacks.

message 11: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments Terez wrote: "Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done."

Ditto

message 12: by Richelle (new)

Richelle (richellet) | 37 comments Terez wrote: "Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done."

Me too!

message 13: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Yep, I'm in the camp that I like how dust covers look pretty when they're on the shelf, but they drive me nuts when I read. I too take them off when I read DTE books (which is admittedly rare these days).

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (maybesaveme) | 8 comments Todd wrote: "they also display the book's art, which for me is a huge part of the experience. "

I think The artwork is the main reason I keep the dust covers at all, my books are not valuable enough to worry about keeping them in pristine condition. :)

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 27 comments I flip the jacket so people think I'm reading a book upside-down.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (maybesaveme) | 8 comments Jon wrote: "I flip the jacket so people think I'm reading a book upside-down."

BRILLIANT!!! :)

message 17: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 105 comments I always remove it while I'm reading book but once it's back to shelves I put it back. Dust covers can be really good, the one from The Way of Kings is simply awesome :-)

message 18: by Mitch (new)

Mitch | 31 comments Anna wrote: "So I HATE dust covers, there I said it! They are annoying and most of the time I prefer the pretty blank naked book. I always remove them before I start reading a book that has one but yet I can'..."

I'm a collector of 30 plus years. Over that time frame many books I had purchased became valuable collectors items. The condition of the dust wrapper more often than not will determine the value of the book as a collectible. Case in point a first edition of the Hobbit was selling for, last I looked, around 12K with a dustwrapper in fine condition and the book the same. Without the Dustwrapper about one tenth that.

message 19: by Redrosevertigo0 (new)

Redrosevertigo0 I remove them while reading the book but put it back on to donate and/or pass on the book. If I do leave the cover on I tape it on with masking tape.

message 20: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjoriequinn) | 5 comments Terez wrote: "Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done."

Same here!

message 21: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2469 comments Terez wrote: "Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done."

Add me to the count of people who do this.

Even if you hate them, don't throw them away. If you ever want to sell any of you hard covers then the DJ is essential to the value of the book. In general a decent collectable first edition will be worth 10 times as much if it has the DJ as without.

message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments I love me some dust covers! And I do what any sensible person does with them — I carefully mold them to my body with special library tape while pretending to be a time traveling literary super hero as I make lightsaber sounds and...

message 23: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Mcclure Give them to a library, public or school if appropriate. They are great for displays. That is, omce you've obtained forgiveness of course :)

message 24: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes004) | 1 comments i use the flaps as a bookmark

message 25: by David (new)

David (caddarn) | 40 comments Before I switched to ebooks I used to use a glue stick to stick the flaps to the inside of the of the cover... then it still protects the book but doesn't flap about all over the place when your reading.

message 26: by Marcelo (new)

Marcelo (cimmeria) I think dust covers a pretty but the naked book is also pretty classy (as put by NMC). But dust covers stress me out 'cause the book keeps slipping off. So I only use the dust cover when I'm taking the book somewhere as they'll protect it from the other stuff that's inside my satchel — as I'm not a collector, I don't care very much about the dust wrapper condition as long as it's protecting the book when I travel.

message 27: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments I take them off and keep them in a plastic tub w/a cover in some storage room. I think they look nicer without the cover and I especially hate reading with the cover on. If I ever sell or trade the book, I'll go dig out the cover.

But yeah, I pretty much stick with paperbacks and digital books now, so it's not as much of an issue. I USED to like hardcovers for getting signed, collecting, etc. But now I just like to read 'em so don't get so twitchy about it all.

message 28: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I leave them on. They don't bother me at all.

message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicofeld) | 3 comments I went through a stage in my early twenties where I hated dust covers, stashed them in closets, and ultimately lost them all in a move. Now I'm going through the painstaking process of trying to find the dust covers for the Wheel of Time at thrift stores and warehouse sales (without paying a lot for the book since all I want is the cover). It's taken me YEARS but I'm almost there. Just need The Fires of Heaven. So I would say I'm a recovering dust-jacket hater, but I do think the cover art is part of the package.

In a way, artists such Darrell Sweet defined what a generation of fantasy books look like. There's a strong nostalgia factor there.

message 30: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments I leave them on the book. Anything else is an affront against nature, God and the community of Mankind. Baby Jesus Einstein will haunt you if you throw them away.

I don't make the rules.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 43 comments I keep them on, doesn't really bother me that much.

message 32: by Klerosier (new)

Klerosier | 6 comments Terez wrote: "Usually I remove the dust cover while reading, then replace it once I'm done."

I hate reading with them on. me too.

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (maybesaveme) | 8 comments Trike wrote: "Baby Jesus Einstein will haunt you if you throw them away.

I don't make the rules."

Maybe that's why I couldn't bring myself to throw them out, Baby Jesus Einstein was already judging me just for thinking it!

message 34: by Candida (new)

Candida Stamp | 9 comments I have been reading the Harry Potter books to my son, and I usually take the covers off and let him look at the wrap around picture while I read. He was playing with some toys while I was reading tonight, though, so I didn't think to take the cover off and it kept slipping around while I was reading.

I have thrown covers of books away, but usually I'm with the take-it-off-while-you're-reading-and-put-it-back-on-when-you're-done crowd.

message 35: by James (new)

James | 17 comments I bought a Kindle Fire HD.. so I don't deal with them anymore.

message 36: by Mapleson (new)

Mapleson | 94 comments I take the book jacket off while actively reading, but replace it between sessions and use the wrap-around as a place marker.

message 37: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments I'm also one of those that usually takes them off while reading. I've also used the flaps as bookmarks. Then I put the Dj back on for my bookshelf.

I'd love to be able to collect DJs and frame them or make some other display of them.

message 38: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments I put them aside while reading, but put them back on after i finish

message 39: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Most I take off and leave off. The Marvel Comics oversized hardcovers have gorgeous spines and look wonderful on a bookshelf sans dust jacket. On those rare occasions when I think the spine of the book is more attractive with the jacket left on, I'll leave it on.

I put the dust jackets I've removed in a shirt box. I wrap one jacket over the next (largest on the outside, smallest in the middle), so they take up much less space than if you just stacked them on top of each other.

message 40: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 98 comments An art library I worked in once used to always take the dust covers off, then the staff could take them home. A lot of us used to use them as rather pretty wrapping paper :)

message 41: by Effie (new)

Effie Trinket (that_is_mahogany) | 1 comments God I never thought I'd say this, but, I hate them as well. Sometimes, if the dust cover is way to pretty to be plucked out, I make the exception. But if it's not worth it I just throw it in the trashbin. It's always better to have a naked book.

message 42: by Rich (new)

Rich Stoehr (glassisland) | 14 comments I keep them - and I protect them too. Most of my hardbacks (I've gotten a little behind lately) have removable plastic covers over the dust jackets. They look amazing on the shelf!