*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Past Reads > Murder on the Orient Express

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, A dream within a dream (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 387 comments Mod
This classic whodunit is our January 2013 topic selection. I quite liked this one's conclusion. Remember to mark all spoilers with tags!

message 2: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments I read this years ago due to my mum borrowing all her books from the library. Not sure if I will reread but hope you all enjoy it.

message 3: by Mimicha (new)

Mimicha | 15 comments Just ordered it! Super excited

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments Just downloaded it, I'm don't know how I haven't read this classic... Looking forward to it

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Thomas (shirleythomas) | 1 comments I hope all first readers enjoy it. I was spoiled right before I reached the last few pages -- but I couldn't be mad, it was that good.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt I loved it and enjoyed the tv adaption with suchet. Didn't like the other with ustinov

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (jasmenigma) | 8 comments I ended up rating this book two stars (and I know that there are some people that will have a meltdown over that). Even if it is groundbreaking, it is still shallow with no character depth, a way too clearly laid out story, and cheesy writing. Maybe her others stories are better, but this one in particular just wasn't for me.

message 8: by Deborah G (new)

Deborah G Riletto con grandissimo piacere, secondo me è uno dei capolavori di Agatha Christie, anche se non è un giallo "classico" ma più un gioco creato dall'autrice per i suoi lettori

message 9: by Sara (last edited Jan 10, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) This was my first time reading anything from Christie. At 20% into the book I wasn't into it, by 50% I was invested in the story, by 75% I thought I knew whodunnit. I was wrong! She got me good. I liked it but thought the ending felt a bit convenient.

I felt like I was reading a play or playing a board game more than reading a book, which was a fun change up from my normal detective reading.

Wiki informs me that Dame Agatha Christie is the worlds best selling author (accord to Guinness) and her estate claims her the 3rd most published author (after the bible and Shakespeare). I had no idea!

Hope everyone else enjoys the read as well.

message 10: by Corey (new)

Corey | 12 comments Just finished the book this evening and thought the book was great. I agree with you Sara! The book was simplistic and felt like you were reading a play. Enjoyed how the book really did not sway from Poirot's perspective. As you were reading, it felt like you were solving the crime right along with him. Was I any help, not exactly.....:)

message 11: by Mimicha (new)

Mimicha | 15 comments I'm with Amanda. I thought it was obvious and the writing lacked severely. I don't understand why Christie is so amazing other than she maybe invented this type of murder mystery formula. This reaffirms my opinion that after too many books you're not an author anymore you're a factory making an ordinary product that is for the masses.

message 12: by Kohinoor (new)

Kohinoor This was my first Agatha Christie book and I loved it! It was an easy read but kept me engaged. I was so sure I knew who the murderer was but I was so wrong! I've put the movie starring Lauren Bacall and Ingrid Bergman on my Netflix queue. Can't wait to see how it pars with the book.