Coffee & Books discussion

Personal Challenges and Lists > Carolyn's Challenges

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:55PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) January Challenge
As a celebratory challenge we are going to make the first month a "Biographical/Autobiographical/Memoir" month!

I'm going to read
Growing Up Amish: A Memoir finished 6/1/13

message 2: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 17, 2013 10:11PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) 2013 Series Challenge

Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz:
Odd Thomas3/1/13
Forever Odd 21/1/13
Brother Odd 17/3/13
Odd Hours 2/5/13
Odd Apocalypse
Deeply Odd

Earth's Children Series by Jean M Auel:
The Clan of the Cave Bear 28/1/13
The Valley of Horses 4/6/13
The Mammoth Hunters
The Plains of Passage
The Shelters of Stone
The Land of Painted Caves

message 3: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 17, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) 2013 Reading The Alphabet

A. Angels 29/3/13
B. Brother Odd 17/3/13
C. Children of Liberty 11/1/13
D. The Dressmaker 22/2/13
E.The English Patient
F.The Firm
G. Growing Up Amish: A Memoir 6/1/13
H. The Hunger Games 3/7/13
I.In Her Shoes
J. The Jane Austen Book Club 19/7/13
K. Kane and Abel 6/2/13
L. Look Again 23/4/13
M. The Midwife's Confession 3/3/13
N. Not My Daughter 31/3/13
O. Odd Thomas 3/1/13
P. Pride and Prejudice 11/5/13
Q.Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
R. Remember Me? 15/2/13
S. The Storyteller 17/4/13
T. The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing 27/4/13
U. Uncharted 28/7/13
V. The Virgin Suicides 9/2/13
W. Where Are The Children? 18/5/13
X.
Y. You've Been Warned 21/7/13
Z.

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 02, 2013 11:25PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) I'm going to give this a try, though I don't like my chances of completing all of it.

For this challenge we are going back to old ways and doing a list of "February" themed things! Welcome to the month of loooooooooove

Duration:
February 1st till March 1st

Books Read: 5/7

1. A book with a pink or red cover. The cover doesn't have to be entirely one color, but the majority of the cover needs to be. It can be any shade.
2. A book with a red or pink TITLE The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides 9/2/13
3. A love story. Any thing to do with love. Let it be a romantic comedy, a sappy romance, you name it and loooove it Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella 15/2/13
4. A book off of a friends shelf A lover or a "Friend" ;)
5. A book on your shelf that you have neglected to read. It is the month of love.... 'comon, even books need a little love. Kramer vs. Kramer by Avery Corman 17/2/13
6. A book by an author you love Authors need support and love too! The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy 27/2/13
7. A book with a heart, cupid, kisses, lips etc. on the cover Any variation of those will do Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella 15/2/13

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited May 11, 2013 02:37AM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) For this challenge, challenge yourself to read old classics. There are different stages for the Classic's challenge:

Stage One
Read 1-5 classic books

1. Pride and Prejudice 11/5/13

Stage Two
Read 6-10 classic books

Stage Three
Read 11-15 classic books

Stage Four
Read 16- 20 classic books

Stage Five
Read 21-25 classic books

Stage Six
Read 26-30 classic books

Stage Seven
Read 30 books and more.

Duration
Until December 31st 2013

Enjoy xx

I'll try Stage 1 to start with, and see how I go.

message 6: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 28, 2013 10:49PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) March/April Challege:

Completed: 6/10

1. A book with a green cover. Can be any shade, any type, just make sure for the most part the cover stays green. The Midwife's Confession Can't find the edition I have on GR, but I promise, the cover's green :)
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name. Doesnt have to be just '____ Green'. Could be any variation of green. Like Greenfield, Greene, Greeney etc. The Beach House by Jane Green
3. A book that has to do with Saint Patrick's Day.
4. A book that has shamrock, gold, luck(y), leprechaun, clover, or any "Saint Patrick's Day -esq" things in the title.
5. A book that is either a) about Ireland or b) the author is form Ireland. Angels by Marian Keyes
6. A book with the title that is in Gold or Green writing. The Thirteenth Tale
7. A book that begins with M The Midwife's Confession
8. A book that is of "humor" genre.. get it... ha ha, april fools ;-)
9. A book with floral pattern on the front, or something to do with flowered things. can be a simple flower, or maybe a garden The Beach House by Jane Green
10. A book from C&B's archive folder. Do some spring cleaning of your own and see what C&B has to offer, knock it off your list as well!

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caro65) Well, April Showers bring May Flowers. And that is exactly what this challenge is. For this challenge you will choose a flower and "read" it. Now there are a few ways of doing this.

One. You can find a book with the flowers name in the title or if you are lucky the authors name.

Two. You can find a book with the flower on the actual cover of the book.

or

Three. You can read the flower. Like with the coffee challenge or the Read Your Name challenge. For this you will take the flower of your choice and take each letter and match that letter with a title of a book. For example:

R-Red Riding Hood
O- Othello
S- Sorcerer's Stone
E- Exit Here

So, with that...

Pick flowers and enjoy!

Duration: May 1st- June 1st

I'm reading The Lilac Bus by Maeve Binchy.

message 8: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 28, 2013 12:42AM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) Here is the sizzlin' summer June challenge! And, you won't have to venture out of your OWN library! For this month, the challenge is simple! Read books that you own personally and have not read yet! There are two stages: Stage One: Read 1-3 books and Stage Two: 4-6 books. For signing up, just add what stage you are interested in doing, and start! Enjoy!

I think I can complete Stage 1, but I've got a lot of library books to read this month :/

Stage 1

Completed: 3/3

1. The Patchwork Marriage 8/6/13
2. The Light Between Oceans 15/6/13
3. Bed 27/6/13

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 17, 2013 10:15PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) July Days Challenge

Cam you read a book a week? Maybe? Well here ya go- Challenge yourself to read a book a week for the month of July. Get crackin', smokin and go book crazy!

Oh wait- there are some guidelines ;-)

For this month you get categories. You can only read one book per category. So you cannot read two books that start with "J" for example.

Categories
1. Read a book with a red, white or blue cover. You may only do one color for this category. SO For week one, you can read a book with a white cover, but for any of the other weeks, the book MUST fall in another category to count, so no blue covered books unless you are using it under another category :) pick wisely. The Siren Week 2 July 8 - 14
2. A book that begins with the letter "J" The, A, If are exempt, you can pretend like the little words do not exist The Jane Austen Book Club Week 3 July 15 - 21
4. An author from a country you wish to travel to Basically an author NOT from your own country The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach Week 1 July 1-7
6. Read a book off a friends to-read list. And list the friend Before the Storm- Teneal Week 4 July 22 - 28

Duration
July 1st to July 29th (monday-monday)

Rules
Like stated above, one category a week, cannot double a category (even if it is a different color).
Must post what category you are doing for the week
Must complete a book a week :)

So you have: 6 categories. 4 weeks. 4 books. Go!

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 17, 2013 10:21PM) (new)

Carolyn (caro65) Books To Film Challenge

Books to film, wow is that popular now a days. It seems like scree writers look to pre written novels to get ideas and end up translating and adapting that! So how appropriate is it to a challenge! Summer is when some of the biggest blockbusters come out between the months of June through September.

Duration
June 1st through September 30th

Stages

Stage One- Film Finatic: 1- 5 adapted books
Stage Two- Director: 6-10 adapted books
Stage Three- Screenwriter, practically: 10+

I reckon I could complete at least Stage Two.

Here goes...

Stage One
1. Call The Midwife 21/6/13
2. The Hunger Games 3/7/13
3. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 6/7/13
4. The Silver Linings Playbook 9/7/13
5. The Jane Austen Book Club 19/7/13