Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > The best MG book I gave or received for Christmas was...

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
Let's all share the best MG books that we either gave or received for Christmas 2012.

message 2: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 843 comments Mod
I received the digital versions of all of the Harry Potter books.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

WooHoo ... looks like time re-read them.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Clark Really enjoyed reading Down the Rabbit Hole, a donation from a student. I read it because I wasn't sure it would be good for my 6th grade library. Ended up loving it. Definitely a good fit for my mystery readers- a bit above MG. Now, I'm reading Fablehaven which I had overlooked for a long while now. I have the entire series. Loving it so far.

message 4: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia Dinsmore (cordeliadinsmore) | 105 comments I received Nora Roberts' newest book in her latest series for my Nook. I gave my 3-year-old granddaughter the Nook version of I Need My Monster, which she absolutely ADORES, and I gave my daughter a boxed set of Judy Blume books. My son and daughter gave each other the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, The Third Wheel. He's nearly finished his. So there's lots of reading going on at my house right now.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 29, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

I gave my Nephew the BFG, can't go wrong with Roald Dahl. Sadly, I was given only adult books. :(

message 6: by Tonja (new)

Tonja Drecker (tonjadrecker) | 14 comments I gave my neice The Giving Tree and was happy to receive Justin Time in return.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill | 1 comments "Santa" gave my son "The Homework Machine" for his Kindle Fire, because he'd put on his list that he wanted a magic homework basket! ;-)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Deal | 4 comments Hi. I'm new here. The best MG book I received this Christmas was Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms by Lissa Evans. It's a quietly imaginative little mystery, and it's designed so beautifully (small, inky paper, deckled pages) that it's a wonderful book to own in print.

message 9: by Will (new)

Will Overby (will1966) The best book I received was Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead. I liked it so well I went back and read When You Reach Me. Both were excellent reads with haunting voices. She's quickly become one of my favorite authors.

message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven Stickler | 4 comments Gave this one to my son and he loved it:
The Vengekeep Prophecies by Brian Farrey

message 11: by Marcy (new)

Marcy Blesy (marcyblesy) | 22 comments When I was a kid, my favorite book I received in fifth grade was Little Women. I felt so cool having read a 500 page book! :-)

message 12: by Vikki (new)

Vikki VanSickle Splendors and Glooms, hands down!

message 13: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Lewis | 1 comments She wrote First Light too, which I just finished recently. Great book.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie  | 1 comments The best book that was every given to me was from my mom. She gave Black Beauty. To this day I still can't make through it without crying. In school I read every Nancy Drew's mysteries and Black Stallion books. Now as a 6th grade teacher I my choices have change, but books my students like the most to read or be read to are anything that fantasy, scify, etc

message 15: by Craig (new)

Craig Milton | 9 comments the Narnia Chronicles. Three sets over the years.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa When I was a kid, I recived Charlotte's Web for Christmas and it quickly became my favorite childhood book.

My daughter was given the Fablehaven series and we read it together every night. So it turned into a two part gift, both the story and the fun we had reading it together. I had read it and thought it was ok but watching her excitement and reactions when we read it together actually increased my enjoyment of the book.

message 17: by Krystalyn (new)

Krystalyn Drown | 10 comments Last year, I got The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Beautiful book.

message 18: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) I gave my adopted niece a really beautiful illustrated collection of Edgar Allen Poe stories. Not *exactly* MG, but she's been reading them since she was 8, so...
bobbi c.

message 19: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments I think Edgar Allen Poe poetry would really appeal to the MG crowd-- thinking of his BELLS -- so creepily onomatopoeic.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I got this book out of the youth section in the library Tales of Mystery and Madness by Edgar Allan Poe and my daughter and I both enjoyed it.

I agree that Poe would appeal to the MG crowd as well.

message 21: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 22 comments M.G. wrote: "I think Edgar Allen Poe poetry would really appeal to the MG crowd-- thinking of his BELLS -- so creepily onomatopoeic."

I LOVED that poem when I was a kid. I think I was 14 when I discovered it in The Complete Works of Poe. That book did it for me. I was hooked. Couldn't get enough Poe. :-)

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 22 comments When I was about 12 (just prior to the extinction of the dinosaurs) my folks gave me a book called Son of the Stars https://amzn.com/B00HO0S31M
by Raymond F. Jones, the same author who wrote the acclaimed sci-fi novel, This Island Earth. Man, I was so into the story that I must have read it half a dozen times. I still have my original copy and I see it's been republished on Kindle. People are still reading it after all these decades.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
There's a book of Poe's stories in the MG section of our library. I haven't looked to see which stories are included...