2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Rachel's Nook

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Dec 01, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments 2013 Favorites Challenge (Can spell out using titles or author's name.)

Duration: January-December 2013
Completed: 21/30

Category 1: Favorite Season/Weather
R - Robin Sloan, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
A - Agatha Christie, The Secret Adversary
I - I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
N - Niffenegger, Audrey; The Time Traveler's Wife

Category 2: Favorite Genre
I will read at least 5 memoirs/autobiographies in 2013
1. While the World Watched: A Birmingham Bombing Survivor Comes of Age During the Civil Rights Movement, Carolyn Maul McKinstry
2. Skin Deep, Anne Hjelle
3. Marley and Me, John Grogan

Category 3: Favorite Author
Going with Louisa May Alcott - one of my favorites for sure!
1. Little Men
2. Jo's Boys
3. Eight Cousins

Category 4: Favorite Holiday
T - Taken By Storm, Angela Morrison
H - Holly Becker, Decorate
A - Azrin, Nathan H.; Toilet Training in Less than a Day
N - Needleman, Deborah; The Perfectly Imperfect Home
K -
S - Stuart Little, E.B. White
G - Glass, Cathy; Another Forgotten Child
I - I Love You, Ronnie; Nancy Reagan
V -
I - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
N - The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
G - Gruen, Sara; Water for Elephants

Category 5: Favorite Sport
S - Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
O - On Becoming Toddler Wise
C - The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Nighttime
C -
E - Ella Fitzgerald, Letters to Jackie
R - Richard Benson, F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Jan 31, 2013 08:51PM) (new)

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments January New Beginnings Challenge

Duration: January 2013
Completed: 4/5

2. Read a book that was released in the last six months: Breaking Beautiful

5. Read a book that was published the same year you embarked on a new part of your life (state what part that was): Water for Elephants (Got Hitched!)

6. Should auld acquaintance be forgot - Read an old childhood favorite: I never actually read Stuart Little, but I'd like it to be one of my children's favorites, so I'll read it first.

9. Read a book that is first in a series: Taken by Storm

10. Read a book by an author whose first or last name starts with the letter A: Catch Me If You Can, Frank W. Abagnale

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Jun 22, 2013 09:48PM) (new)

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments Zara's Inspired Survival Challenge
A. Hard to get into books
B. Books in excess of 500 pages
C. TBR books

Duration: April 2013-June 2013

Completed: 4/4-6

1. The Time Traveler's Wife - B
2. The Princess Bride - A
3. The Secret Adversary - A
4. Little Men - C

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Oct 05, 2013 12:27PM) (new)

Rachel Nelson (suitedforliterature) | 167 comments Holiday Celebrations
Duration: October 2013-December 2013
Completed: 0/6

1. As a kid at Halloween I used to love dressing up in cool costumes – Read a book where the main character leads a double life or pretends to be something they are not.

2. Trick or treat is a great Halloween tradition – Read a book where a tradition is central to the story.

3. Telling scary stories and watching horror movies are activities often associated with Halloween – Read a book from the horror genre which was made into a movie.

4. Witches, werewolves, vampires, ghosts and zombies are just some of the creatures commonly associated with Halloween stories – Read a book which features one or all of these creatures.

5. Carved pumpkins (also known jack o’ lanterns) are another Halloween tradition. The name jack-o’-lantern is a term used to describe a visual phenomenon of strange light seen flickering over peat bogs. In English folklore, this is also known as will-o’-the-wisp – Read a book about folklore, a specific phenomenon, or with a pumpkin on the cover.

6. “First Thanksgiving” was believed to have been celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621 – Read a book about harvest, the pilgrims or where the main character undertakes an epic journey.

7. Thanksgiving holiday has been an annual tradition since Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of “Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens” in 1863. Lincoln was recently portrayed by Daniel Day Lewis, who has portrayed many roles in films around periods in American history e.g. The Last of the Mohicans, The Crucible, Gangs of New York, Lincoln – Read a book about a period of American history, or a book which has been adapted into a film which Daniel Day Lewis has starred in.

8. The Pilgrims settled in New England following their flight from the volatile political environment in England in 1620 – Read a book set in New England, or where the main characters are involved in a political struggle.

9. TV shows often have Thanksgiving Special episodes, 2 of my favourites from the last decade being The West Wing episode “The Indians in the Lobby” from 2001, where 2 Native Americans are looking for reparations from land which was promised to them and stolen by the Government over the years; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode “Pangs” where they encounter a vengeful Native American spirit whose tribe were wiped out by white settlers – Read a book about Native Americans or where one of the main characters is Native American, or a book based on the theme of a TV Thanksgiving Special show.

10. On Thanksgiving Day, families and friends often gather for a large meal or dinner – Read a book centred on a large family or group of friends.

11. Over the years there have been many great and classic Christmas movies – Read a book which was adapted into a Christmas movie or a book with Christmas in the title. (There is a useful list here)

12. Santa Claus is thought to be based on a historical saint from the 4th century, Saint Nicholas, patron saint of sailors, merchants, archers, thieves, children, pawnbrokers and students in various cities and countries around Europe – Read a book about Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas

13. The custom of the Christmas tree developed in early modern Germany – Read a book set in Germany, by a German author, or with a Christmas tree on the cover

14. When it came to Christmas holidays as a child, I always used to wish for snow, so we could have snowball fights build snowmen, and go sledging – Read a book set in a snowy place, where the characters have to overcome snowy conditions, or which involves a great journey through the snow.

15. We give presents and gifts at Christmas to those who we love, but not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to do that – Read a book where sharing with others is a strong theme or where the main character selflessly provides for others who are less fortunate.

16. Christmas carols and songs are more and more popular every year, and the first time of the year I hear them always makes me excited and looking forward to Christmas – Read a book about music, musicians or where celebration through music is a key theme.

17. Food is a big part of the tradition around most if not all holiday celebrations and festivals – Read a book about food, written by a chef, or where a character is a chef or someone who enjoys food.

18. Hanukkah, is a Jewish festival also known as the Festival of Lights – Read a book about a festival or religious celebration, or a book with candles or a Menorah on the cover.

19. In many homes it is customary to play the dreidel game after lighting the Menorah – Read a book about games or where a character or characters are Jewish.

20. The United States has a history of recognizing and celebrating Hanukkah in a number of ways, from Menorah lighting ceremonies to a 1996 postage stamp, jointly issued with Israel, to special receptions in the White House – Read a book where a character adopts or celebrates traditions that are not their own.