A Christmas Carol A Christmas Carol discussion

Are there any retellings of this book?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (last edited Dec 25, 2012 08:38PM) (new)

Erika I'm wondering if there are any other books retelling "A Christmas Carol" but in a "darker" way, perhaps.

Donna Davis I haven't seen anything in print. In the 1970's, I saw a modern version done in film starring Henry Winkler, of all people, and it was quite good. But I don't think it's a book. It was called "A Modern Carol".

Elia There are MANY movie retellings with various changes - modern times, female scrooges etc, but as far as books I don't know of anything.

Lesley Arrowsmith "Darker"? The Ghost of Christmas Future takes Scrooge to see his own grave! How much "darker" do you want?

Betsy Scrooge and the vampires maybe?:D

Joanne There is a book about Jacob Marley...I didn't care for it.

em Lesley wrote: ""Darker"? The Ghost of Christmas Future takes Scrooge to see his own grave! How much "darker" do you want?"

Well, for one thing, it wasn't as dark as it could have been. It would be nice to hear the story in a "darker" way, as in better descriptions and, well, by an author who capture's the darkness a whole lot better than Dickens. One thing where you read it and it sends shivers up your spine. Obviously Dickens never did that.

Anna The thought of seeing my own grave before I'm actually dead kind of sends shivers up my spine. Maybe it's just me.

Michael Eliza wrote: "The thought of seeing my own grave before I'm actually dead kind of sends shivers up my spine. Maybe it's just me."

at least you would be able to edit your epitath

Annemarie Donahue Scrooged starring Bill Murray is probably not dark enough for you but it's a great retelling of this story. The ghost of Christmas yet to be is pretty dark, not himself, but the future that he proposes to the Scrooge (Frank) character is pretty intense. It's a great film and offers comedy to lessen the tension of some scary insights into human characteristics. I recommend.

Charlotte Jones I Am Scrooge is a zombie take on the story....how about that? :)

Annemarie Donahue Zombie Scrooge... I'm liking this.

Twas the night before Christmas
And the undead roamed the streets
Looking for brains to eat as sweet treats...

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Michael wrote: "Eliza wrote: "The thought of seeing my own grave before I'm actually dead kind of sends shivers up my spine. Maybe it's just me."

at least you would be able to edit your epitath"

Ha ha, true.