Marcel Proust
This topic is about Marcel Proust
Information & General Threads > Literary References in Proust

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope Great thread. Thank you.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Anatole France is one of the writers who the composite character, Bergotte the novelist, is believed to be based on. Anatole France is also mentioned by name as an attendee of Mme Verdurin's salon.

Also, Patrick Alexander, in his reader's guide, Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A Reader's Guide to The Remembrance of Things Past, writes that "the hero of his [France's] tetralogy, L’Histoire contemporaine (A Chronicle of Our Own Times), was named Bergotte".

message 3: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope Jim wrote: "Anatole France is one of the writers who the composite character, Bergotte the novelist, is believed to be based on. Anatole France is also mentioned by name as an attendee of Mme Verdurin's salon...."

I recently read and reviewed France's The Red Lily.

And Monsieur Proust's Libraryis a good introduction and reads quickly. Carter's bio also discusses Proust's readings.

message 4: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) This bookdrum.com pages offers short explanations for literary references in Swann's Way. It's not available for other volumes, but it's more comprehensive than a lot of printed guides - and it's easily searchable and free so it's worth checking out.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisrabberman) | 136 comments Andreea wrote: "This bookdrum.com pages offers short explanations for literary references in Swann's Way. It's not available for other volumes, but it's more comprehensive than a lot of printed guides - and it's e..."

Thanks, Andreea - wonderful resource, and I love the illustrations.

message 6: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 26, 2012 09:20AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I think we should compile our own reference list. I'll be happy to make a spreadsheet.

Literary Title, Author, Proust Volume, MKE page #.

Anything else? We could insert a short quote too if desired.

message 7: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Pak This is so helpful! Thank you for starting the thread. Have started Swann's Way and am enjoying very much.

message 8: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Sévigné couldn't have said it better.

Marquise de Sévigné

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:11AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Saint-Simon (and then follows a very funny section, ala Gracie Allen)

duc de Saint-Simon

message 10: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 30, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) The Saint-Simon article includes:

A few critical studies of him, especially those of Charles Augustin Sainte-Beuve, are the basis of much that has been written about him.

Can we suppose this is where Proust read of Saint-Simon, or was his education such that the duc would have been included in his original studies.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Proustitute wrote: "We do know that Proust read Saint-Simon directly, not just in Sainte-Beuve's account of his work. The longest pastiches in The Lemoine Affair is actually the Saint-Simon one, and it's also the clos..."

Great! Not familiar with either, I was curious. Truly, that initial Saint-Simon conversation was just too funny.

message 12: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Andreea wrote: "This bookdrum.com pages offers short explanations for literary references in Swann's Way. It's not available for other volumes, but it's more comprehensive than a lot of printed guides - and it's e..."

This is great! Thank you. I'm bookmarking this.

message 13: by Hadrian (new)

Hadrian (hadrian_gr) George Sand, referenced in the first section, is someone I've wanted to read for a long time.

Are there any more references to her, apart from the overture?

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (goodreadscompatricia2) | 370 comments How much to decipher! I´m loving every mooment of this game.

message 15: by Marcelita (new)

Marcelita Swann | 1135 comments Proustitute wrote: "Hadrian wrote: "George Sand, referenced in the first section, is someone I've wanted to read for a long time.

Are there any more references to her, apart from the overture?"

She's also mentioned..."

George Sand...mentioned in two places in the first part of "The Captive."
Once in her influence on the narrator's mother and the second a mention of "La Petite Fadette."

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (goodreadscompatricia2) | 370 comments While on holidays I read the wonderful family memoir "The Hare wirh the Amber Eyes"in which Proust is mentioned at least ten times as he was a friend of the some members of the Ephrussi family.

message 17: by Kalliope (new)

Kalliope Patricia wrote: "While on holidays I read the wonderful family memoir "The Hare wirh the Amber Eyes"in which Proust is mentioned at least ten times as he was a friend of the some members of the Ephrussi family."

Yes, that is a good book.. I read it a while before Proust but I will probably revisit it.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (goodreadscompatricia2) | 370 comments ...even the famous *asparagus* are mentioned!
Kall,it is such a good book but So sad! and tragic!

message 19: by Marcelita (new)

Marcelita Swann | 1135 comments Patricia wrote: "...even the famous *asparagus* are mentioned!
Kall,it is such a good book but So sad! and tragic!"

This video clip is only for those who have read the novel.

Edmund de Waal's "Hare with the Amber Eyes"
SPOILER ALERT
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8wqJINrGj0

Oct 21, 2011 - Uploaded by voscarsson
Edmund de Waal Speech at Palais Ephrussi, Vienna, Austria October 20, 2011.

message 20: by Jocelyne (new)

Jocelyne Lebon | 745 comments I too read it a while ago and should definitely re-read it because I had forgotten about the asparagus. Thank you for reminding us of this great book.