The Lost Challenges discussion

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
This topic is about Days of Blood & Starlight
Archives - BOM/Group Reads > [January] 'Days of Blood & Starlight' Group Read BOM Discussion <SPOILERS>

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) The book of the month is Days of Blood & Starlight, by Laini Taylor.

Please join in a discussion as you read in January. Please comment on your thoughts if you've already read it too.

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments I just started this a few days ago. So far I'm enjoying it. Sucks you right back in.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) I have the first one to start reading soon, hopefully I will make it to the 2nd book by the end of the month.

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments Loved the first one and I usually don't really love YA. This one was IMO just really good without the teenage angst that usually grates on my nerves,lol. I did it as a buddy read in Nov

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 691 comments I just finished this earlier today and I think I like this book a little better than the first in my opinion. In the first book, maybe it's just me, but I thought it was boring reading about (view spoiler) Maybe that's why I've forgotten who Thiago was when I read the second book, but it was very good overall!

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments I finished my buddy read of this with JenniferC early January. I really enjoyed this book. Don't want to spoil it for anyone but real close to the ending I was doing a happy dance when something happened!! Hope you all enjoy it.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Ok, I need advice from anyone who has read Daughter of Smoke & Bone.

I didn't get to it yet, but I had it sitting around and my 10 year old daughter picked it up and read the first 4 pages and said it sounded good and asked if she could read it.

I know it is YA, but some YA borders on adult content. How does this one fair?

My daughter struggles with reading and unless she is really interested in the subject matter she doesn't want to continue reading. We've had a hard time finding books that keep her interest. So I am hesitant to discurage her from a book she wants to read, but I also don't want to give her a book too far over her level. She is interested in sci-fi stuff and handles watching the walking dead better than I do. So it isn't really monsters and gore that I am worried about.

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments This is such a good book. However some thoughts I don't remember specifics but it does talk about how Karou(the main girl) "gives" her virginity to a total worthless jerk - she figures this out on her own. So it could be an opening for you to talk with her about that. However, it is referred back to also on occasion throughout the first book.
It might be a good book for you to pursue the chapter before she reads it to see if you need to read together. Not sure what your daughter is like. I could give this to my son to read and he would just pretty much gloss over those parts. My daughter who is 11 would have tons of questions about all of that stuff. Not that that is a bad thing but just an FYI for you.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Thanks Melissa. She is only 2 chapters in and says it is really good. She is pretty good at asking questions, we've already had a very basic version of "the talk" so it should be ok.

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments I'm so glad she is liking it. My daughter likes what she would consider "shorter" books and loves graphic-ish books like Diary of a Wimpy kid, Smile etc

message 11: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) This is the biggest book she has ever picked up I really am surprised.

~Melissa~ | 1690 comments It's always that "first book: that hooks you. For me it was the Laura Ingalls series in 4th grade - no looking back☺

message 13: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) I loved those too. When she was younger she let me read those to her, but now that she is reading on her own she has no interest in them.