Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > What was your favorite gift that you gave or received this holiday season?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 25, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Some say it's better to give than receive while others would declare that crazy talk. So I'm curious what was your absolute favorite gift you gave or received and why? You can list both or you can give multiple answers for one or each, but let us know why it/they became your favorite(s). Was it something you wanted for ever? Is it your favorite because you loved the reaction of someone you gave a gift to? Was it because it was so thoughtful, funny or because it was given from the heart? Please tell us and share your holiday cheer with us.

message 2: by Desperado (last edited Dec 25, 2012 05:55PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 27 comments My favorite gift received was this beautiful diamond ring my parents gave me. I haven't worn a ring since my engagement ring after ex-fiance and I broke up & I've always missed wearing one (but I'm too frugal to spend so much on an inanimate object). I guess my parents listened. I'm wearing it now & I don't want to take it off!

My favorite gift given was this vintage shaving kit I bought my boyfriend. He's obsessed with old movies and figured he'd enjoy grooming like a gentleman. He says he loves it. ^_^

Happy Holidays!

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:08PM) (new)

Hubby bought me some books for Christmas and he picked them out.

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (read this a long time ago and love it!!!)

Burning Lamp by Amanda Quick

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick

The First Princess of Wales by Karen Harper

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King

In the Company of Others by Jan Karon

Jesus Why THe World is Still Fascinated by Him by Tim Lahaye

A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters

I bought hubby a Cannon camera. He loves taking pictures.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments The favorite gifts I gave were a infusion tea pot, Belgian waffle maker, and a Mandolin (slicer) to my son. He never tells you what he wants or needs so it is a guessing game. His reaction to all was just wonderful. My next favorite gifts were to my daughter. I gave her clothes and was afraid she wouldn't like them. She says she likes them but will see how they look on her. She loves clothes but doesn't want anyone to buy her any because she is afraid of what people will get her. She also got an iPad which she really wanted. That was a group gift.

The best gifts I received were a scarf my son ordered for me. It is artwork. It is made of wool and silk. I also received Zumba Core for the Wii, a yoga mat from my daughter/son. She also returned my Zumba for the XBox Kinect. I also received 4 books from my Secret Santa on LibraryThing. I received:

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King
The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime by Mark haddon

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

message 5: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer My Favourite gifts were: Winter of the World by Ken Follett and a 1 metre tall Teddy Bear. Then the best present of all was being able to start up some Christmas traditions of our own which were a combination of three things: 1) Traditions that I had when I was a little girl; 2) Traditions that my husband had when he was a little boy and; 3) Traditions that were uniquely our own. It has been an absolute delight to spend such a special time with my family in this way.

message 6: by NayNay (new)

NayNay To start I have to say the best gift this year was my father was home from a long stay in the hospital, and spending it with him and my sister's family for a nice day of laughter, good food, and a little champagne.

But gift giving and opening....

My husband and I gave my 2 boy Ipad mini's....that was pretty cool!!!

And my husband and sons gave me a out-of-town spa weekend with my sister's. How great is that, I have 5 sister's and all of the husband's got together and came up with this, NOW THAT'S PRETTY COOL!!

message 7: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments My favorite gift given was to my sister. She bought an ereader last month, so I gave her a micro SD card filled with all the Stephen King's books I could find (her favorite author) and some other books I thought she may enjoy. The look on her face totally warmed my heart.

message 8: by Laura (last edited Dec 26, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments My favorite gift that I got was the pearl teardrop necklace my boyfriend gave me.

He was extremely sappy: He told me he had found his one in a million and the pearl represented that. I cried.

My favorite gift given was the couch my sister and I bought for my grandmother. She was so happy and she could never have afforded it on her own.

By the way, I think it is better to give than to receive. I love picking out the gift and then seeing the person's face when they see it for the first time.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments My favorite gift was probably all the gluten-free stuff I got this year. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a few weeks ago and part of me was dreading not being able to eat all of the holiday food around me. In my stocking, my mom loaded me up with gluten-free chocolate fudge cookies, brownie mix, and chocolate bars, and my grandmother gave me a box full of goodies: pancake mix, cake mix, cookie mix, crackers, pasta, etc. Then, at my grandmother's house, nearly everything there was gluten-free (except the bread). I was so touched that everyone had thought of me.

My favorite gift that I gave was probably the gift I gave to Dad. I didn't have very much money this year for gifts, so I had to get creative. Jan Karon's Mitford Years is one of his favorite series, but he doesn't own it, so I scoured the city for used copies one weekend and made use of paperbackswap.com until I came up with a complete set. He loved it.

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Aww...this thread is making me tear up. **sniffle**

message 11: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments *presents handkerchief*

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Thanks, Sonia! **blows**

message 13: by Barb (new)

Barb While I liked the goodies I was given this year, including a stack of books I've been wanting to read, I had more fun giving this year, and watching their reactions when they opened the gifts.

Hubby was thrilled with the TV we all pitched in to buy for his combined birthday/Christmas gift. He works out of town every week, and asked for a TV for his 'second home,' but didn't really expect to get it.

Daughter was speechless -- something that rarely happens -- when she saw the Lord of the Rings extended edition DVD collection. And her boyfriend, visiting us for the holidays, couldn't believe that we gave him one of the newest XBox games. (Thanks to Best Buy's deal-of-the-day for making both of these gifts possible LOL)

Son was so happy with his new 'toys' for his camera -- he's been bitten, HARD, by the photography bug -- that he spent the rest of the day playing with the new flash and the remotes to go with the camera. But my favorite reaction was from his wife. She was so excited when she opened her Kindle (she was tired of sharing one with him LOL), she squealed like a little girl :)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments That is neat Barb!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I posted above but I also wanted to share this. From Hubby's and my very first Christmas and every Christmas since Hubby gives me any where from 1 to 5 sand dolls. Then this year he gave me a coffee mug (huge one lol) and on it, it says " I thank God for you every day". That had me getting misty eyed.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Aww, that is very sweet Marguerite!

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I squealed, too, Barb, when I received my new panani with the adjustable height for the top!

[image error]

I also love my two new Herb Savor/Savers. Since I've gone vegan, it is all about the fresh herbs.

[image error]

My favorite gifts to give were a new iPod to my nephew, with the understanding he would get nothing for his birthday in June. (Loooooong wait, but he was cool with it.) And that my sister-in-law is now hooked on the vegan ginger & macadamia nut cookies I made for her. (It took me months to perfect this recipe. ☺)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura thank you!!!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Ooh cool, I want one of those herb Savor/Savers!

Its always awesome to cook for someone and have them love it!

message 20: by Ravencrantz (new)

Ravencrantz We each get one gift in my family and this year my mom splurged and got me a Kindle Fire HD and I absolutely love it. To top it off, my neighbor gave me an Amazon gift card to buy books <3

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)