Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > 2013 New Year's Book Resolutions

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments

Okay it's that time again. So we all know New Years is a time people make resolutions to loose weight, eat healthier, exercise more, etc. Well, we want to hear what your New Years Book Resolutions are. So set yourself a goal to read a certain number of books, to enter a certain amount of challenges, or to buy a set number of books this coming year. You don't have to list your progress here. We have plenty of places/challenges where you can track your progress. Just declare your intentions here and at the end of 2013 we'll see how everyone did.

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think I'd like to read between 50-60 books next year. Two years ago I was reading almost 200 books per year but school has significantly hampered that number.

message 3: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10397 comments I want to read all the books on my shelf started-but-not-finished-yet

they all were left on hold and never picked up again... so far I have 8

The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw Heart's Blood (Whistling Tor, #1) by Juliet Marillier Assassini by Thomas Gifford Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Os Guardiães da Noite (Mundo dos Guardiães, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko Down These Strange Streets by George R.R. Martin All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1) by Gabrielle Zevin

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My goal is to read fifty books and complete three challenges - the Alphabet Reading Challenge, the Around the World Reading Challenge, and another one that's yet to be decided. I want to support more independent writers, publishers, etc., so maybe that's where my third challenge lies.

message 5: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Once again I'm hoping to read 300+ books this year but I'm cutting out some of the challenges I've participated in for years and adding some variety with new groups and new challenges. Like the Around the World in 80 Books group which will force me to read a broader range of topics set around the globe. I'm not much for cultural literature so this could be a bust but should be interesting nonetheless. As well as The Challenge Factory group which will introduce me new and unique challenges.

For those interested (opens in a new window):
Around the World in 80 Books: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...
The Challenge Factory: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments 1. I'd like to read at least 100 full-length novels that I've never read before.

2. I'd like to start Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and at least get halfway through it. My dad, my cousins, and several friends have been hounding me about this.

3. I'd like to finish Animal Alphabet Reading Challenge and my Freestyle Challenge and start on another big one (perhaps All About You).

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments 1. I will put my reading at 65 books. I know I can read that many but it was really hard to read the 75 I read this year. I want to focus more on the challenges and not the quantity of books read this year.

2. I plan on finishing at least one large challenge this year and one small challenge. If I finish more, great!

3. I want to read at least ten of the books that have been on my Kindle for the past year and have never been read.

message 8: by Elaine (last edited Dec 26, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Elaine (ofdustandstarlight) I've never been able to read so many books (25 last year and 30+ this year), but I'm going to be aiming pretty high and go for 100 books next year. It's a huge jump, but you have to aim high right?

I've also just found out about book challenges and I hope to clear at least 50% of those I signed up for if not more!

Good luck everyone!

PS. My book challenges thread - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
Other challenges I'm participating in - http://rabbitsfortea.wordpress.com/20...

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I think I'll make it really easy hard for myself and will try to:

1) Enter all my books into GR.
2) Utilize Calibre more.
3) Bring my freebies TBR to 425 books or below.
4) Bring my TBR of Owned books down to 100 books or below.

message 10: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments 1. Read at least 100 books.
2. Actually finish NBRC challenges, not just start them.
3. Update my lengthy challenge progress more often.

message 11: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 27, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Stefani's #2 ...**hee hee**

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Nasanta, I need to do your #2, also.

message 13: by Mary C (last edited Dec 27, 2012 09:05AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5009 comments My only goals for 2013 is to continue with the purging/reducing/reading of the print TBR. I reduced my print TBR by 270 books this year so far. (I don't care how many freebies I rack up on my Kindle).

Also to finish up some series. But focusing on ones that I own multiple books for already.

I signed up for a bunch of challenges but it's not the end of the world to me if I don't finish them. I won't jump through hoops to acquire books for them if I don't have one handy.

message 14: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Goals for 2013:

- Read 50 books
- Join more challenges (this year I didn't join because the year before I never finished. It's better to participate and fail then never have played in the first place)
- Finish more challenges! (an oldie but a goodie)
- Clean and organize both my GR and my RL bookshelves (I would love to see another spring cleaning challenge. I love that one!)
- Organize my challenges in a more functional manner. I've already started this by starting my own private group instead of using just a thread. I'm liking it a lot so far.

I think that's all.

message 15: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 37 comments I'm aiming to read 45 books and to clear at least 20 from my owned but not yet read stack. May also look at completing a challenge - I quite like the look of the Round The World one

message 16: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments My goal is to read 52 books this year minimum (That's only one per week and will allow for larger books that take more than a week).

message 17: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 219 comments i ha ve been trying to hit 150 books this year. been trying for last 2years.

buy no more then 100 books

clear asmuch pf mmy tbr as possible

message 18: by JanBreesmom (new)

JanBreesmom (goodreadscomjanbreesmom) | 55 comments My plans for 2013 include:

1) Starting my reading goal for 2013 at 250 books to be read between January 1 and December 31, 2013.

2) Devising a timely system that works to allow me to systematically review the books I have read in the most concise yet helpful way possible. I will try to review a bigger percentage of books read, not just rate them.

3) Finishing series I have begun but put aside, including, but not limited to: the Outlander series, the Dresden Files, Song of Ice & Fire--Books 1 to 5, Winds of War 1 & 2, and Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes.

4) Setting aside approximately 25% of total reading time to read longer (800+ pg.) books I have been procrastinating reading this past year.

message 19: by Barb (new)

Barb I'm setting a tentative goal of 125 books for the year, but may bump that up as the year progresses. I'm also intending to focus more on trying to catch up with some of the multitude of series that I read, rather than starting new series all the time!

message 20: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments One of my resolutions was to find a better way to organize my challenges. Over the last couple of days (ok weeks) I have been piecing together a private group that includes both my current challenges, upcoming challenges, and archived challenges from past threads. I now have them all in one place all pretty and easily accessible. I'm loving it!

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Jex wrote: "One of my resolutions was to find a better way to organize my challenges. Over the last couple of days (ok weeks) I have been piecing together a private group that includes both my current challeng..."

I've done the same thing now. I'm so picky about lists and organization and this is perfect. So glad you posted about doing this or I never would have thought of it.

message 22: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments * Keep a book journal
* Keep GR updated
* Review what I read
* Read more than last year (even if it's 1 more)
* Keep better track of challenges
* Make a decision about Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon . Either try and read it again or just give it back to the person who loaned it to me.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Nairabell wrote: "* Keep a book journal
* Keep GR updated
* Review what I read
* Make a decision about Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon. ..."

Love Outlander! I've read it four or five times but have yet to continue on with the series. That should be one of my goals this year.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Mine too Mary! Maybe we should do an actual "buddy" read of the series this year at some point.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Yes! That sounds awesome.

message 26: by Dessa O'Dette (new)

Dessa O'Dette | 20 comments My New Year's Resolution is to actually read more and watch less TV so this what it entails:

* Actually reading the books in my bookcase
* Read 75 books
* Try to get 10 book credits saved on PBS

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Dessa wrote: "My New Year's Resolution is to actually read more and watch less TV so this what it entails:

* Actually reading the books in my bookcase
* Read 75 books
* Try to get 10 book credits saved on PBS"

Love Paperbackswap, Dessa. I have a challenge devoted to reading more books on my bookcase, and so far I've only read one, heh.

message 28: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Huh. Never heard of PBS. I will have to look into it. I always use http://www.swap.com/media/

message 29: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Jex wrote: "Huh. Never heard of PBS. I will have to look into it. I always use http://www.swap.com/media/"

PBS is great, I wandered over there when GR closed the bookswap. The deciding factor was that they have a standard over what's acceptable to post or not, most other sites I've seen don't.

I should make a PBS credit resolution too. I always find myself thinking what can I post on there to get a credit for X book lol.

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Stefani wrote: "Jex wrote: "Huh. Never heard of PBS. I will have to look into it. I always use http://www.swap.com/media/"

PBS is great, I wandered over there when GR closed the bookswap. The deciding factor was..."

PBS's standards are exactly why I love it. All of the books I've received have been in excellent condition.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 757 comments I have made a few book resolutions for myself but don't know how well I will stick with them LOL

I have set my reading goal at 300 books,again,this year.

1. STAY OUT OF THE LIBRARY This past year I have made continuous trips to the library checking out books instead of reading the books I own. So my goal is to read 50-100 of my own books. At some point, I will go back to the library because I need to read some new releases for challenges but want to start the new year reading my own books.

2. In conjunction with my first goal, I would like to read 50-100 books off my kindle. I have gone hog wild with the kindle freebies and in a year's time have accumulated almost 9,000 free books.

3. I also have a massive amount of e-pub books saved on my computer/jump drives that I need to start reading instead of checking books out at the library.

4. I have several series started that I would really like to finish before starting any more LOL which this one is probably going to be close to impossible for me LOL.

5. I have tried several new genres/authors this year and would like to continue reading new genres/authors and not fall into a rut of reading the same genre all the time.I'm a mood reader and usually have 7 or 8 books going at a time. I am trying to read a nice variety of books so that I don't fall into a reading rut where nothing is appealing to me.

6. I would like to read more of the classics this year. I started out 2012 doing really good with the classics (thanks to some of my challenges) and then kind of let them fall to the wayside as the classics are my least favorites LOL

7. Last year I set up a private group to keep up with my challenges and it really does help IF I would update it more frequently...I sometimes tend to wait until I have read 4 or 5 books and then update my challenges but that is really time consuming. I'm thinking maybe I should do it every 2 or 3 books.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 757 comments Nairabell wrote: "* Keep a book journal
* Keep GR updated
* Review what I read
* Make a decision about Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon. ..."

I bought this book and started it,then set it aside as I really didn't like it. I don't know if I will go back to it or not. I have several friends who loved the book who keep telling me to pick it back up and try it again. We'll see LOL

message 33: by Barb (new)

Barb ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "I have several series started that I would really like to finish before starting any more LOL "

Says she who is looking for cozy mystery series to start :) *ducking and running*

message 34: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've got a few book resolutions for this year:

1. To read at least 150 books of some sort this year, preferably more

2. To read at least 7 classic books (ie Gulliver's travels, Dickens, Austen etc)

3. To take part in as many challenges as I can

Lets see how I go!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Good luck, Claire and everyone else on their resolutions. I know I will need it!

message 36: by Faith (new)

Faith (Geeky Zoo Girl) (geekyzoogirl) | 256 comments 1. Read 75 books - This may have to get upped though depending on how the year goes!

2. Read 25 000 pages

3. Complete at least 75% of the challenges I’ve signed up for (I've signed up for 16 so far! Oops!)

4. Write reviews within 2 weeks of finishing books

5. Try to read two books I already own before buying another(this doesn’t always work though, since I’ve been using books as a reward for finishing coursework etc!)

6. Consider ebooks over hard copies – I love physically having a book, but being students we just don’t have the space. I’d like to try and move more towards ebooks this year.

7. Abuse the library when home over the summer – not literally, but I definitely want to get a lot of use out of it.

8. Keep better track of my reading – particularly which books count for challenges. This year I had a bit of a manic session in December adding up which challenges I’d knocked off etc, and it just wasn’t fun!

9. Read what I want to read – this year I’d like to think a little more about whether something actually interests me, or whether it’s just blogging hype that makes me want to read it, particularly in terms of NetGalley requests.

message 37: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments @Faith your #9 is a great goal! Too many times I pick up a book because it's what someone said I should be reading or because it was a BOM and I find I'm just not impressed. I might have to add that on to my resolutions. Epecially since I seem to read a lot less then most in this group I need to choose a little more wisely and stop picking up those cruddy romances that ppl recommend :-P

I still <3 all of you that like cruddy romances B-)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 757 comments Barb wrote: "♥Robin ♥ wrote: "I have several series started that I would really like to finish before starting any more LOL "

Says she who is looking for cozy mystery series to start :) *ducking and running*"

LOL I just saw this Barb..... I get busted every time I turn around LMBO. I really do need to finish up all this series I already have started and I'm slowly but surely working on some of them LOL You noticed I said "SLOWLY". I really want to start some cozy mysteries as I am finding them sitting on my "DUSTY BOOKSHELVES" and on my kindle which is another resolution I'm trying to accomplish by reading my own books. I just can't win for losing as one goal/resolution is contradicting another LMBO

message 39: by Barb (new)

Barb Oh I *do know what you mean, Robin LOL You've heard me fuss about all the series I have going, and how I need to concentrate on finishing some of them. But that doesn't stop me from starting new series! *sigh*

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Jun 02, 2013 12:48AM) (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I have my goals already started and now I can voice them. For this year my goal is 55 novels - I may read more
- I want to read 18 books from 2012 Goodreads nominations
- I want to read 4 classics - Anna Karenina, Les Misérables, Great Expectations, and Wuthering Heights.
- I want to read 12 books set in 12 different countries and 12 books from 12 different U.S. states and participate in the BOM discussions for one of my reading groups.
- I want to complete an A-Z challenge by title or first or last name of author filling in books for letters I won't get from my other books I am reading from above.
- Want to participate in as many BR and BOM reads from my other reading groups if they are books I want to read and I can fit them in.
- Want to read the Pulitzer Prize Winner The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson
- Would like to squeeze in a few newly released books this year - Life After Life by Kate Atkinson , And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini and maybe more
- I want to read the Divergent trilogy, start The Dark Tower series (1-4.5), and The Passage series (1 & 2)

message 41: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Well I heard on YouTube(or somewhere) about a 50 book challenge. This will be my New Year resolution every year.