What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. I think Ive done this right! Trilogy about brother/sister/magic/kidnap/end of the world!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ishaak (new)

Ishaak | 3 comments Hey guys, first time user and I'm looking for a book/trilogy that Im desperate to find.
Heres what I know so far:

its a different world (think the capital is very rich and the other parts are extremely poor villages)
it definitely has a girl and boy (brother and sister)
I'm pretty sure its a trilogy.
Theres a bad guy/emperor
i think magic is illegal but the emperor can secretly do it
In the second book the village where the boy and girl live is pillage/captured so they are taken as a caravan (through a desert?) to the emperor and get attacked?
The emperor is possibly a good guy and is worried about the end of the world i.e under attack from more powerful things
The emperor finds out that the boy can do magic (not sure if the girl can do it sorry) and takes him as his personal servant in order to teach him

Im pretty sure in the third book there is a scene where the emperor tells to boy to do something with the table that is between them. Im pretty sure that its to do with taking a scoop out of it using the spoon. Eventually the boy turns the table to a liquid and just takes a scoop of it.

Cant think of anything else I'm sorry I read it about 8 years ago and have been looking for it for a while now!

please help guys would be much appreciated!!

message 2: by Ishaak (new)

Ishaak | 3 comments Anybody? Did I post this incorrectly? :D

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments You posted it fine -- if you look at the small print next to your subject header you can see that 117 people looked at this. They just don't know your series! Feel free to add details if you remember more. Even what was on the cover sometimes jogs memories.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments give it some time :)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments Also, read 8 years ago (assumption is the US/UK and that you picked it up there - tell us if that's not true), was it old at the time you picked it up (ie: library, used, or something) or was it new? MMPB? Hardback? Do you recall if it might've been an indie book, or something really rare? It doesn't look like it was a Christian-themed book... so probably not pigeon-holed in Christian bookstores.

message 6: by Ishaak (new)

Ishaak | 3 comments Thank you all :)

I remember reading it when I was 12 or 13 so about 7-8 years ago, it was from the library in the UK but it was in the children section and Im pretty sure it was a paperback so maybe a few years older than that?

I remember the beginning of the book starting with a narration of what the "land" was like at the time, pretty sure magic was outlawed. I have lots of memories of book that were similar that I read around that time so Im only posting things that Im sure about. For example a scene keeps popping into my brain where the sister and brother are travelling back to their village of something after playing outside etc and the gaurd doesnt let them in so they decide to camp out near a river. Again Im not sure though :(

message 7: by Blaserk (new)

Blaserk | 14 comments Wind on Fire trilogy. The plot you described isn't quite right (the emperor/slave/caravan stuff is only in the second book) but the table scene is definitely in the third book. Also, most of the details you included are in the series somewhere, you just blurred them a bit.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38153 comments Mod
Ishaak...are you still looking, or was Wind on Fire trilogy the correct answer?

message 10: by Mika (new)

Mika | 7 comments I know it's been over a year since this post...but i am also looking for a similar book.

A brother and sister are part of an underground network of people. Magic is outlawed. The ruler can do magic as well. The girl is able to use fire magic, actually I think she can use all the elements. I know there is also another dimension that can be traveled too. I wanna say at some point she was captured and taken to a school for gifted children lead by the emperor type person.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments So Mika (and Ishaak - if *e's still around/alive/active), what'd you think about the suggestion of the Wind on Fire trilogy?

message 12: by Mika (new)

Mika | 7 comments I'm pretty sure it's not the wind on fire trilogy thought. I know that one of the supporting characters is someone that has and inside connection to the emperor's inner circle....I think it's the boy's father. There was also an execution in the book of a girl who looked like the main girl. They claimed it was her. Brother and sister were also trying to find their parents.

message 13: by Mika (new)

Mika | 7 comments Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "So Mika (and Ishaak - if *e's still around/alive/active), what'd you think about the suggestion of the Wind on Fire trilogy?"

I decided to make my own post in Unsolved. LOL

message 14: by Mika (new)

Mika | 7 comments Mika wrote: "I'm pretty sure it's not the wind on fire trilogy thought. I know that one of the supporting characters is someone that has and inside connection to the emperor's inner circle....I think it's the b..."

Someone in the group knew the books.

http://www.jamespatterson.com/books_w...

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Thank you Mika, maybe someday Ishaak will check in again and that will be his book too. Meanwhile, I have to move this to abandoned, as he's mia.