The Magic of Hogwarts RP discussion

Classrooms > Astronomy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★RavenclawReader★, Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-Warty Hogwarts... (new)

★RavenclawReader★ (stargazer101) | 543 comments Mod

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) The professor assigned each of us a telescope. We were told only to find Capricorn as that was the Zodiac for this particular month. Luckily, it was my Zodiac as well so I had no trouble finding it, though several of my friends did. I marked the constellation on my map and proceeded with the next instructions, to map out the night sky around Capricorn. This was harder work, so I bent my eye to the lens and continued. The girl next to me was still looking for Capricorn and she looked distressed.
"Can you help me?"
"Of course."
So I adjusted her telescope as hers was so out of focus, I probably couldn't have seen Earth if I'd tried. Whenitwas tuned, I pointed her in the right direction and soon she too was writing down stars and planets on her parchment.

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) I had thought I would be ok at Astronomy before I tried it. Oh how I was wrong. I couldn't even see out of the telescope! I finally turned to the girl next to me and asked for her help. She set it straight for me and I could actually see out of it, so I started writing what we were supposed to be writing down. Capricorn, the big dipper, the little dipper, Aries, Cancer, so on and so forth, they were pretty easy to find once you actually had your telescope adjusted. I finished up and looked around, I expected to be one of the last ones but one or two others had finished. I walked around to stretch my legs.

((I can't think of anything to do right now and I have to go anyways so I'll add more later))

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek peered into the end of his telescope after writing down about Capricorn and the other constellations, now he was just checking the position to make sure they were in the exact right spot. After all, there was no harm in double checking even though Astronomy was his best subject.

message 5: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments Professor Ahadi sits down quietly at her desk to shuffle a colorful stack of papers, occassionally choosing one and rereading.

message 6: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Class has started, if anyone cares."
*scans empty classroom*

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Clary walked into the Astronomy classroom few seconds late just as the teacher gave a particularly withering glare to the empty classroom. Clary sat down as quietly as possible and took out yesterday's assignment.

message 8: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Thank you, Clary, for showing up, late or not. Do you have yesterday's homework on Orion?"

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "Yes professor." Clary said, glad to not have gotten in trouble.

message 10: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Very good! Now tell me, Clary, can you name two of the stars in Orion?", Professor Ahadi says, pleased at Clary's polite attitude.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "Bellatrix and Betelgeuse are two of them, I think." Clary responded.

message 12: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Correct. What does Orion symbolize?"

message 13: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 15, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "The constellation is supposed to symbolize the Greek hero Orion. He's throwing a spear and sometimes people say that there are 2 hunting dogs following him.

message 14: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Can you name any of these dogs off the top of your head?"

message 15: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "I don't know if they have actual names, other than Canis Major and Canis Minor.

message 16: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Correct. Now we will review Orion before moving on to Canis Major and Minor."
"Orion is perhaps the most famous of all the constellations in the night sky. It represents a Greek hunter named Orion. It was believed that the Greek god Zeus placed him among the stars after his unfortunate death."
"Now on to the stars....The bright red-orange star marking Orion’s shoulder is called Betelguese. It’s a massive star that’s burned through most of its fuel, and will explode as a supernova that shines so bright, it will cast shadows by night and and be visible in our daytime for several weeks. This explosion may happen next year, or in a million years. No one knows for sure."
"The brighter of the two blue-white stars marking Orion’s feet is Rigel. It’s much younger than Betelguese, and slightly brighter.
Three stars lined up in a tidy row mark Orion’s Belt. These stars are Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka. The sword to the belt is the Orion Nebula, a mass of glowing gas and dust."
"Did you catch all that, Clary?"

message 17: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Clary looked up from her notes. "Yes professor."

message 18: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Outstanding. Next we will cover Canis Major and Canis Minor, then class will be dismissed. Are you ready?"

message 19: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Canis Major and Canis Minor are commonly associated with Orion. As you said, they are thought to be dogs following at his heels. Canis Major is a small constellation, made up of only a few stars. The most notable of all these is Sirius. Sirius is the brightest star in the sky. The only celestial objects that are brighter are the sun, moon, and a couple of planets. Canis Minor is made of two stars. One is Procyon, the eight brightest star in the sky. It isn’t as impressive, the lesser dog of the two, but is still as important in symbolism and history."

message 20: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "We might be having a quiz on this tomorrow. Any questions? If not, class is dismissed."

message 21: by Kimya (last edited Jan 15, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments *sits back down at desk, her attention redirected towards the colorful papers*

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Clary jotted down the last of her notes, tucked her notebook into her bag, and walked out of the classroom.

message 23: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Class has started, if anyone is interested."

message 24: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Clary looked up from her notes at her professor. She always started class this way for some reason. Everyone around here washing rather raucous except for a few who were paying attention like her.

message 25: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Today we will go further into Identification of Common Constellations. I expect you to take notes on today's constellations: Andromeda and Cassiopeia."

message 26: by Kimya (last edited Jan 16, 2013 03:23PM) (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments *notes appear on the board as Professor Ahadi lectures*

"As the story goes,long ago, in Ethiopia, there reigned a King Cepheus, and his Queen Cassiopeia. They had a beautiful daughter, the Princess Andromeda. So beautiful, in fact, that her mother, the Queen, couldn't help but be proud, and even occasionally boast a little about it. On one occasion, she went so far as to proclaim that her daughter was even more beautiful than the nymphs of the sea.

But the Queen had forgotten how spiteful nymphs were. When they heard the Queen, they immediately went to their master, Poseidon, lord of the sea, crying out for retribution. The great god Neptune could never say no to his nymphs. Their powers of persuasion over men, be they gods or mortals, were impossible to resist.

So Neptune sent the sea monster Cetus (another constellation) to wreak vengeance upon the boastful Queen and the lands she governed. Cetus ravaged the shores of Ethiopia, spreading death and destruction along the entire coastline of the kingdom. A desperate King Cepheus consulted an oracle, and was told the only way to stop the monster's rampage was to deliver up his precious daughter, Andromeda, for Cetus to devour."

message 27: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "So, Cepheus and Cassiopeia, in order to save their kingdom, were forced to give up their daughter to the beast. Andromeda was chained to the rocks by the sea, and left for Cetus. Before long the monster was seen in the distance, heading straight for the innocent young girl helpless on the rocks.

The monster approached the young Andromeda and descended upon her, when suddenly a figure came diving out of the sky, swooping in between the monster and its prey. It was the hero Perseus, mounted on the winged horse, Pegasus. He was returning from a battle with the evil Medusa, when he heard Andromeda's cries. He pulled Medusa's severed head out of his satchel and turned the sea monster to stone.

When Perseus saw the beautiful Andromeda, he fell in love with her, and carried her off to be his bride. Blah blah blah, happy ending."

message 28: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "As you know, the stories have little to do with astronomy, although the symbolism is still important. The constellation Andromeda represents the princess, chained to a rock (but the stars look more like an elongated V) and Cassiopeia is symbolic of the Queen sitting on her throne. The constellation looks like an M or a W."
"For homework, you must look up pictures of these two constellations."

message 29: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments *notes disappear off the board*

message 30: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments "Alright. Class dismissed. Shoo, you little hooligans!"
"If you have any questions, see me after class."

*heads to office*

message 31: by Kimya (new)

Kimya Ahadi | 24 comments No class today. Consider it study hall.

message 32: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek walked into Astronomy and set his books down at a telescope. It was a mite chilly so he grabbed his sweater.

message 33: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger followed Derek in and set her stuff down next to the telescope next to Derek's. ((Try saying that five times fast ;) )) She sighed and looked towards the teacher.

message 34: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek listened to Ginger sigh. He grabbed his telescope and looked through it at Ginger. "Interesting, perhaps I have discovered a new planet. I shall name you; Derekland!"

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thalia watched silently, peering over her notes. She had carefully copied a drawing of Cassiopeia and Andromeda from a library book. She sighed and carried on skimming her notes of legends, myths and stars.

message 36: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger raised an eyebrow at Derek. ˝Oh really? Well," she spun hers around towards him, "I claim this new planet Gingerland! Except...really...you're more of a dwarf planet." She laughed

message 37: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "Oh, now that was LOW Ginger. How terribly rude of you. And now I will land on this new planet of mine." Derek poked Ginger hard in the stomach.

message 38: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger dramatically keeled over to his touch and gagged. She put a hand over her forehead and rolled her eyes back "Oh this cruel universe!" And she fell down, trying not to laugh.

message 39: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek laughed and extended a hand to the fallen Ginger.

message 40: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger smiled and pulled him down to the floor then jumped up and laughed.

message 41: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek laughed again and stood up. He grabbed his telescope again and pretended to ignore Ginger, looking through it at Jupiter.

message 42: by ★RavenclawReader★, Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-Warty Hogwarts... (new)

Mathias watched two other students playing around foolishly... did they care at all about their studies at all? No, he decided, they didn't. With a small sigh, he assembled his telescope and took notes about the constellations.

message 43: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger laughed and moved Derek's telescope then looked through her own and jotted down a few things about constellations so she wouldn't get kicked out of the class.

message 44: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Derek started mapping out the sky he saw. He adjusted his telescope and continued.

message 45: by ★RavenclawReader★, Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-Warty Hogwarts... (new)

"Excuse me," He said surlily to them both. "Could you two kindly be quiet? Some of us are trying to get some work done."

message 46: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) "Sorry to bother you Mathias, but neither of us have spoken for a while. So why don't you go back to your telescope and stop bothering us. Thank you kindly." Derek said, not bothering to look up from his telescope.

message 47: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger giggled quietly and drew a picture of some of the constellations in her notes.

message 48: by ★RavenclawReader★, Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy-Warty Hogwarts... (new)

Mathias muttered something about endless laughing, and turned back to his telescope.

message 49: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (flightofthebumblebees) Still looking through his telescope, Derek lifted a hand for a high five from Ginger. He continued labeling the night sky.

message 50: by Faith (new)

Faith Alexandra (gingeralexandra) Ginger raised her arm in a fist and his his hand.

« previous 1