English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month pre-2020 > February 2013

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arpita (BagfullofBooks) (bagfullofbooks) | 157 comments How about a Patricia wentworth ?

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments Since we've agreed that an "English mystery" can be written by an anglophone writer who's not from England, how about one by an Australian? I love the Brock and Kolla series by Barry Maitland.

The first one that I read, because I bumped into it in a bookstore when I was looking for something else, was "No Trace." I'd like to suggest it for February.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments I would suggest we try a book by a recent male author, such as Christopher Fowler's, Full Dark House.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I'd love either Grey Mask or Full Dark House (not least because I have both).

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments @Tom: I agree with you that it would be good to read something by a male author for a change. Have you ever read Barry Maitland?

Arpita (BagfullofBooks) (bagfullofbooks) | 157 comments I have to check out Full Dark House by Wentworth. I loved Grey Mask.

Arpita (BagfullofBooks) (bagfullofbooks) | 157 comments Oops just realized full dark house is not by wentworth. Looks interesting too.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments Joan wrote: "@Tom: I agree with you that it would be good to read something by a male author for a change. Have you ever read Barry Maitland?"
No, I haven't tried Maitland, yet. Haveyou tried any of Fowler's?

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments @Tom: No, I've not read Fowler. Which do you think should be read first? (I've got a long to-read list right now, but it never hurts to add one more.)

Although I suggested "No Trace" for February, there's no reason not to begin at the beginning on Maitland with "The Marx Sisters."

message 10: by Sharla (new)

Sharla Tom wrote: "I would suggest we try a book by a recent male author, such as Christopher Fowler's, Full Dark House."

I second the choice of Christopher Fowler and you couldn't pick a better one than Full Dark House to start with.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Tom wrote: "I would suggest we try a book by a recent male author, such as Christopher Fowler's, Full Dark House."

I went to Amazon to look up this series. It says they are from the Peculiar Crimes Division. Is this like a X Files series?

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Joan wrote: "@Tom: No, I've not read Fowler. Which do you think should be read first? (I've got a long to-read list right now, but it never hurts to add one more.)

Although I suggested "No Trace" for Febru..."

Joan, I looked this series up and it looks great. I told my friend from Perth, Australia and she is excited. I think we'll get it on Kindle (only $3) and so my TBR pile gets higher and higher. I am interested though as we like many of the same books.

message 13: by G (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 30 comments Joan wrote: "@Tom: I agree with you that it would be good to read something by a male author for a change. Have you ever read Barry Maitland?"
I've read Maitland's the Marx Sisters and thought it was terrific. The Marx Sisters

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I'll throw these two into the mix, although I like the sound of the Barry Maitland book too.

Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) by Ian Rankin

and

Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1) by Peter Robinson

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments I'll try again with Kate Ross... Cut to the Quick. Historical fiction mysteries set in Regency England.

Or Minette Walters... they aren't a series so any of them would be OK.

Avid Series Reader (msbooties) Watchers of Time by Charles Todd

Avid Series Reader (msbooties) Th

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Leslie wrote: "I'll try again with Kate Ross... Cut to the Quick. Historical fiction mysteries set in Regency England."

I had to give my vote to Kate Ross. It's been too long since I read Julian Kestrel.

message 19: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Yep, Cut to the Quick would be good for me because I've had it sitting here in Mt TBR for ages. I also have Gallows View which would be okay too.

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Anything I can get online... I'll be in the UK next month. Hey, are any of you London-based?

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Only at heart ... :)

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom | 53 comments I noticed that Christopher Fowler, the author of Full Dark House, is a Goodreads author. If his book is chosen, it would be fun to see if we could have a discussion time with him.

message 23: by Sharla (new)

Sharla Tom wrote: "I noticed that Christopher Fowler, the author of Full Dark House, is a Goodreads author. If his book is chosen, it would be fun to see if we could have a discussion time with him."

Great idea, Tom! Hope that might be possible.

message 24: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) I just finished Peter Robinson's recent standalone novel Before The Poison - I enjoyed it a lot and think other readers here might as well.

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments Lorraine wrote: "I just finished Peter Robinson's recent standalone novel Before The Poison - I enjoyed it a lot and think other readers here might as well."

I liked this one, too.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Tom wrote: "I noticed that Christopher Fowler, the author of Full Dark House, is a Goodreads author. If his book is chosen, it would be fun to see if we could have a discussion time with him."

Sharla wrote: "Tom wrote: "I noticed that Christopher Fowler, the author of Full Dark House, is a Goodreads author. If his book is chosen, it would be fun to see if we could have a discussion time with him."
I checked on Fowler and it said he wasn't a Goodreads author. He does write a monthly blog on his website. When is the voting over? WE could still ask him.

Gre..."

message 27: by Pia (new)

Pia What about Val McDermid and his Tony Hill series?

message 28: by Pia (new)

Pia Sorry... Val McDermid and HER Tony Hill series

message 29: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments Pia wrote: "Sorry... Val McDermid and HER Tony Hill series"

Sigh ... the only Val McDermid books I don't like are the Tony Hill books.

Have you read "The Distant Echo"? It's my favorite McDermid.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 606 comments Pia wrote: "What about Val McDermid and his Tony Hill series?"

Sorry, Pia, I don't care for the Tony Hill series. I just love her other books though.

message 31: by Pia (new)

Pia Susan & Joan: I haven't read the other Val McDermid books. Matter of fact, I have only seen the Tony Hill series on TV, but haven't read the books, so I'll try to get "The Distant Echo". Just read the reviews and it sound like a good one. Thanks for the tip

message 32: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments Pia wrote: "Susan & Joan: I haven't read the other Val McDermid books. Matter of fact, I have only seen the Tony Hill series on TV, but haven't read the books, so I'll try to get "The Distant Echo". Just read the reviews and it sound like a good one. Thanks for the tip."

You're welcome. Please let me know what you think of it!

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 1663 comments Don't forget to vote for February's book - click on polls on the right.

message 34: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments Joan wrote: "Pia wrote: "Sorry... Val McDermid and HER Tony Hill series"

Sigh ... the only Val McDermid books I don't like are the Tony Hill books.

Have you read "The Distant Echo"? It's my favorite McDermid."

I like Distant Echo. I am very fond of The Grave Tattoo. Have you read it?

message 35: by Joan (new)

Joan | 310 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I like Distant Echo. I am very fond of The Grave Tattoo. Have you read it?"

Yes, I liked "The Grave Tattoo" very much. I've enjoyed all of the Val McDermid "one offs," as she calls them, some more than others. Neither of the two most recent ("Trick of the Dark" and "The Vanishing Point") were among my favorites, but they were both pretty good. Have you read either of them?

message 36: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Marks | 38 comments I read Trick of the Dark. As you said, pretty good, but not a favorite!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.