Delirity discussion

Archives/Just for Fun Challenges > Continents (Ends 02/28/2013)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Dec 25, 2012 12:18PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Here's another location challenge. Your looking to hit all seven continents. You may not use the same books for other challenges in this group. (While I generally allow you to use the state books more than once, in this case, you need to keep things separate. There is one exception though... since the movie challenge is title dependent and somewhat restrictive in options, I will allow you to use a book both here and there if they happen to fit.)
Apparently, some countries use different classifications, but I'm going to go with the one that most of the western world agrees upon. You can earn up to 7 points, and all books must be read on or after Dec. 25, 2012.

Africa
Antarctica
Asia
Australia
Europe
North America
South America

message 2: by Heather (last edited Feb 21, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Completed 7 of 7

Africa: All of Nothing - Catherine Mann
Antarctica: The Darkest Kiss - Gena Showalter
Asia: Fire and Ice - Anne Stuart
Australia: Darkness Devours - Keri Arthur
Europe: Royally Jacked - Niki Burnham
North America: Spider's Bargain - Jennifer Estep
South America: Killing Time- Cindy Gerard

All Or Nothing (#2 The Alpha Brotherhood) by Catherine Mann The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter Fire And Ice (Ice, #5) by Anne Stuart Darkness Devours (Dark Angels, #3) by Keri Arthur Royally Jacked (Royally Jacked, #1) by Niki Burnham Spider's Bargain (Elemental Assassin, #0.7) by Jennifer Estep Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1) by Cindy Gerard

message 3: by Darcy (last edited Feb 01, 2013 05:34AM) (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Completed 7 of 7

Africa: Eyeliner of the Gods by Kate Maxwell 1/8
Antarctica: Adventures of an Ice Princess by Liz Maverick 12/29
Asia: The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander 1/3
Australia: What Love Sounds Like by Alissa Callen 2/1
Europe: A Dom is Forever by Lexi Blake 12/26
North America: Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts 12/25
South America: Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life by Larry Hagman 12/27

Eyeliner of the Gods  by Katie Maxwell Adventures of an Ice Princess by Liz Maverick The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander What Love Sounds Like by Alissa Callen A Dom is Forever (Masters and Mercenaries, #3) by Lexi Blake Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts Hello Darlin' Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life by Larry Hagman

message 4: by Colleen (last edited Feb 05, 2013 03:18PM) (new)

Colleen | 172 comments Completed 7 of 7

Africa: Mutiny in Time by James Dashner 1/9
Antarctica: Final Warning by James Patterson 2/5
Asia: Necropolis by Anthony Horowitz 1/6
Australia: Darkness Hunts by Keri Arthur 2/5
Europe: The Heiress by Lynsay Sands 1/4
North America: Hidden by Sophie Jordan 1/1
South America: Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz 1/1
A Mutiny in Time (Infinity Ring #1) by James Dashner The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4) by James Patterson Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4) by Anthony Horowitz Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4) by Keri Arthur The Heiress (Madison Sisters, #2) by Lynsay Sands Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2) by Anthony Horowitz

message 5: by Heather (last edited Dec 25, 2012 11:58PM) (new)

I'm regretting this one already. I have a book that spends like two pages in Antartica, but I could also use it for Switzerland and Greenland in countries. Evil.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I was thinking that Antartica would be hard to find a book, but as I was searching yesterday I found one pretty easy.

message 7: by Heather (new)

I think Showalter doesn't know her geography. They go to the Antarctic with the penguins. Then, she says, they go back to the Arctic. The Arctic doesn't have penguins. She's north in Greenland definitely the second time, but either her phrasing is off, or she doesn't realize the first little trip had to be Antarctica.

message 8: by Cindy (last edited Feb 08, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Cindy | 120 comments Continents Challenge

Completed 7/7

Africa - The Viper's Nest - Peter Lerangis 1/28
Antarctica - Midnight Sun - MJ Fredrick 1/14
Asia - In Too Deep - Jude Watson 1/21
Australia - Chasing Sunset - Sami Lee 1/18
Europe - 1984 - George Orwell 1/21
North America - Safe Haven - Nicholas Sparks 1/16
South America - World War Z - Max Brooks 2/7

The Viper's Nest (39 Clues, #7) by Peter Lerangis Midnight Sun by M.J. Fredrick In Too Deep (39 Clues, #6) by Jude Watson Chasing Sunset by Sami Lee 1984 by George Orwell Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

message 9: by Jessica B (last edited Feb 09, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments Completed 7 of 7

Africa: With No Remorse by Cindy Gerard
Antarctica: Icebound by Julie Rowe
Asia: Leave No Trace by Cindy Gerard
Australia: On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Europe: What Happens in London by Julia Quinn
North America: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
South America: Feel the Heat by Cindy Gerard

With No Remorse (Black Ops, #6) by Cindy Gerard Icebound by Julie Rowe Leave No Trace (Black Ops, #5.5) by Cindy Gerard What Happens in London (Bevelstoke #2) by Julia Quinn Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Feel the Heat (Black Ops, #4) by Cindy Gerard On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

message 10: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments Any other ideas for Antarctica or Africa?

message 11: by Heather (new)

Anything by Wilbur Smith works for Africa.

There's some ideas here. Not a ton, but some ideas.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Jessica B wrote: "Any other ideas for Antarctica or Africa?"

All I can say is don't pick the one I did for Antarctica, it was a stinker!

message 13: by Heather (new)

Also, after reading 5.5 of the Gerard, book 6 will land you in Sierra Leone.

message 14: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I finally picked a book for Antarctica from the list. Thanks Heather!

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I am having trouble with Australia, anyone have ideas? I have already read the Riley Jensen series and the spin off. I would re-read, but I did that recently too.

message 16: by Heather (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/places/22-au...

Mutant Message Down Under was good. Non-fiction.

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It must be good, I look at my library, they have 3 copies and 4 requests. Not sure if I will get it in time. Figures!

message 18: by Samantha (last edited Feb 16, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

Samantha | 432 comments 2/7

Africa
Antarctica
Asia
Australia
Europe- Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill 1/26
North America- Unseen by Rachel Caine 2/13
South America

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Found my Australia book, so I am all done now. :)

message 20: by Heather (new)

I didn't think Africa would be my last continent.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I had a hard time with that one too.

message 22: by Heather (new)

I read a good 20 book series that took place in Africa, then had the Gerard's that ended up in Africa from time to time. I thought it'd be easy, but I'm not seeing any in my near future.

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I know what you are talking about Heather. I read quite a few non-fiction that took place in Africa, but then when I was looking for one I had a hard time finding one. Then the one that I did find was awful.

message 24: by Heather (new)

I thought about Brockmann, but she uses an imaginary country in the Middle East.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Finally got Africa.

message 26: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Good job Heather!

message 27: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I ended up picking On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta for Australia. I was looking for a stand alone book since I am in the middle of so many series already and didn't want to start Riley Jensen.

Holy moly!! I loved it. Definitely one of my favourite reads! That is why I love these challenges I would never read outside the box otherwise!

message 28: by Heather (new)

It's one of those that just hurt your head in the beginning and then somehow it turns around and and blows you away. I'm glad you liked it.