Books2Movies Club discussion

Jane Austen
This topic is about Jane Austen
Books2Movies Projects > AUSTEN 00.1 -- In the Footsteps of Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited May 24, 2020 04:01AM) (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2877 comments Mod
I've read all the major works of Jane Austen and seen almost every newer adaptation, but I've never tried to read them in one year and in a consecutive order, not to mention that I've never read any of her biographies and letters. So this project is entirely about her. At the end of the year 2013 I hope to feel as someone who really got to know that writer in person, not only as some casual fan of her works and adaptations.

If there is someone else willing to join me in this mission, just sign yourself in the next thread, AUSTEN 00.2 -- Members' Progress . There wouldn't be any happier person than me, if you would also discuss with me all the books and movies I am going to "do" in this project. However, if you rather prefer a passive kind of participation, don't worry, you may limit yourself just on updating your reading/watching progress in the above mentioned folder.

This is a plan, according to which I'll add new topics each month:

01. Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility (January)
02. Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice (February)
03. Jane Austen: Mansfield Park (March)
04. Jane Austen: Emma (April)
05. Jane Austen: Northanger Abbey (May)
06. Jane Austen: Persuasion (June)
07. Dedicated to Jane (July)
08. Jane's Life and Biopics: Becoming Jane Austen (August)
09. Jane's Life and Biopics: The Real Jane Austen (September-October)
10. The Conclusion (November)
11. Appendix: Lady Susan (Quick read of April 2017)
11. Appendix: Sanditon (2020)

The structure of these project threads might change if we find some better solution. Also, as we would go on with reading and watching, I wish we would make comparisons with the books read in previous months, to make our progress more compact.

So, if you like what you see, and think you may do it, please join! If you decide to join later in the year (or even next year), you can -- the project will be open as long as there would be an interest for it. That's the charm of such projects - I'll try to finish it this year (2013), but you may freely try it next year :)

message 2: by Marren (last edited Dec 25, 2012 07:48PM) (new)

Marren | 127 comments Oh nooo. I am almost finish rereading Austen 7 novels and watching the adaptations but I have not read The Jane Austen Book Club.

message 3: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 155 comments I would like to follow along with you and maybe participate more later in the new year.

message 4: by Lamya'a (new)

Lamya'a | 2 comments I would love to read with you. I have read Emma and I'm eager to read Pride & Prejudice.

message 5: by Zeljka (new)

Marren wrote: "Oh nooo. I am almost finish rereading Austen 7 novels and watching the adaptations but I have not read The Jane Austen Book Club."

Congratulations then! You do not have to re-read all of them again, certainly, but you may easily jump in discussions when they would be opened :) And as last three months are planned for The Club, Becoming Jane and one of the biographies, you may join me then. If you would find time, of course.

message 6: by Zeljka (new)

Lamya'a wrote: "I would love to read with you. I have read Emma and I'm eager to read Pride & Prejudice."

caallas wrote: "I would like to follow along with you and maybe participate more later in the new year."

Great, I would be glad to see others doing this "project" too. If you would read all the books as planned - Lamya'a, you wouldn't have to read Emma again, but may watch some movies - you may sign up in the other thread of this project. Time isn't of essence, you may read books at your own pace - point is to make that achievement. I certainly hope to feel better after doing this.

message 7: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
They are relatively short, thankfully, so I shouldn't have any trouble suqeezing them in. I've read most of her books now, but honestly it's been over several years and I can't keep one story straight from another and so can't remember which ones I've read and which ones I haven't, so it'll be nice to do it all in one fell swoop. Already have the first one on hold at the library :)

message 8: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments Zeljka wrote: "Marren wrote: "Oh nooo. I am almost finish rereading Austen 7 novels and watching the adaptations but I have not read The Jane Austen Book Club."

Congratulations then! You do not have to re-read ..."

For the last months as long as I get the books, I will definitely be reading along with all of you. :) Count me in for the discussions also.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments If you really want to get to know Austen, I suggest reading the books in the order they were written not the order in which they were published. Better yet, read her letters and juvenilia, these are true windows to her soul. Don't forget her two unfinished novels. You may also want to try an authentic biography instead of a fictionalized biography.

message 10: by Zeljka (new)

Lisa wrote: "If you really want to get to know Austen, I suggest reading the books in the order they were written not the order in which they were published. Better yet, read her letters and juvenilia, these ar..."

Biographies (and letters) are planned for the last two months, combined with the documentaries. Those two unfinished novels and juvenilia I'll probably read one day, but won't include it in this project, as they do not have their film counterparts.

As for the order, that suggested makes sense, but I wanted to go the way her contemporary readers have read her. At one point I was thinking of reading all these novels along with one of her official biographies. That way seemed better, but I gave up of it, because the project then wouldn't be for everybody to join but for me only.

message 11: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments Great news, I thought I would be done rereading Austen by the end of December but I am still having Sense and Sensibility pending. So I will be reading this novel with you all in January.

message 12: by Alana (new)

Do we have a thread set up to discuss Sense & Sensibility specifically, while we're reading it? Or is that in the Members Progress thread?

message 13: by Zeljka (new)

Alana wrote: "Do we have a thread set up to discuss Sense & Sensibility specifically, while we're reading it? Or is that in the Members Progress thread?"

We will have it -- just haven't written that thread yet :) Comes now, for a few minutes :)

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 62 comments Austenland will be in theaters this summer...

Austenland is a romantic comedy about 30-something, single Jane Hayes, a seemingly normal young woman with a secret: her obsession with Mr. Darcy-as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice-is ruining her love life; no real man can compare. But when she decides to spend her life savings on a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become more real than she ever could have imagined.

message 15: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments Kimberly wrote: "Austenland will be in theaters this summer...

Austenland is a romantic comedy about 30-something, single Jane Hayes, a seemingly normal young woman with a secret: her obsession with Mr. Darcy-as p..."

Ohhhh I want to see it :D

message 16: by Zeljka (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Austenland will be in theaters this summer..."

Haha thanks for reporting, I was interested in a second :D I had to go even further, to check is there a same-named book out there - and YES, there is:
Austenland by Shannon Hale by Shannon Hale

Amazing, Amazon sells kindle edition of it for mere $1,99 - now when you mentioned a film version is on the way, I couldn't resist, I bought it at once :)

message 17: by Zeljka (new)

P.S. Considering that I have the book now, I might add the reading of Austenland in July -- would fit perfectly with Jane Austen Book Club -- of course, if movie will be out by then. Thanks again for suggestion, Kimberly :)

message 18: by Melody (new)

Melody (melodygiesbrecht) May I also recommend watching 'Miss Austen Regrets' Its a BBC movie based on Jane while in her 40s. Its quite good but she comes off as quite a sassy know it all about love and marriage when in reality shes achieved neither and seems just a tad bitter about it but overall is really humorous and gutsy and brave in her career as a writer when everyone looks down on her for going outside the bounds of 'respectable' female work. Totally worth watching. You even see a cameo from good ol Hugh Bonneville from Downton Abbey

message 19: by Zeljka (new)

Melody wrote: "May I also recommend watching 'Miss Austen Regrets' Its a BBC movie based on Jane while in her 40s. Its quite good but she comes off as quite a sassy know it all about love and marriage when in re..."

Thanks, that series will be part of the selection for September-October reading. I haven't made strict selection of books and films for those months yet, we still have time. Who knows, till then we might discover some other stuff worth to read and see, as this Austenland novel/movie from above might be :)

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Griffith | 2 comments I'm definitely going to do this. Although I see you have left out her early works. A friend of mine said they contain even more satire than her other works and are quite amusing. I believe that before I read the jane austen book club I shall read her early works.
I do like the challenge of watching all the movie adaptations as I have been quite lazy about that. I do want to recomend a mini tv series i watched called Lost in Austen. It's about a modern girl who loves Pride and Prejudice swapping with Elizabeth Bennet. It's only four episodes and can be watched entirely on Hulu. As a Pride and Prejudice enthusiast I certainly felt that the show portrayed a true Austen fan's feelings at the prospect of the story changing and the chance to get Mr. Darcy. One should certainly watch it if they plan to be lost in Austen this year and has read Pride and Prejudice. Enough rambling, I am glad I found this challenge as I has already planned to read them all before the end of the summer :)

message 21: by Zeljka (last edited Mar 17, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Bethany wrote: "I'm definitely going to do this. Although I see you have left out her early works. A friend of mine said they contain even more satire than her other works and are quite amusing. I believe that bef..."

Hi Bethany, as said in members' intro post, welcome and thanks for joining :)

I omitted Austen's early works because they weren't adapted, but you may certainly read them if you wish. Here I didn't go into details, some films and series will be mentioned in related threads, like that one, Lost in Austen, that is mentioned in Pride and Prejudice thread. You can see that numbers by the book names in the first post have link -- click on them to check each book we have analyzed so far. In Members' Progress you may also update your... well, progress in this project :D

message 22: by Alana (new)

I can't wait to start Northanger Abbey... actually, I've already finished half of it and can't wait to discuss! May starts Wednesday, right? :)

I have really been enjoying this "project" I must say. I don't often get to go through a whole series or whole author with other readers. It's neat to compare these different and similar works by the same authoress. What a great idea, Zeljka!

message 23: by Mrs (new)

Mrs Benyishai | 35 comments I am so sorry that I HAVE JUST DISCOVERED YOU NOW. I am aretired school teacher in Isreal who is always reading a Jane Austin novel and has no one to discuss her with. My few words for today are any film that is shorter than 5 hours cannot even coaste w rilliant
bme close to capturing a tiny part of herbrilliant writings and is awaste of time

message 24: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments I have some serious catching up to do with the film adaptations, whew!

message 25: by Zeljka (new)

Marren wrote: "I have some serious catching up to do with the film adaptations, whew!"

Oh dear, I am so behind reading... I am still on Emma :( What's worse, I really enjoy reading it - yes, yes, Emma is so faulty heroine, but I so much adore Austen's storytelling - but currently I feel so frustrated as if constantly battling with time :(

This month is Persuasion - really love this book, maybe because of its second chances theme, but will have to wait two books in between :o

message 26: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments Since I did most of the JA novel back to back last year to this year, I decided to just rewatch the film adaptations that I have seen and those I have not seen. I am way behind in the film watching department. I guess I have it easier than those of you guys reading. I cannot wait to read Jane Austen Club with the group next month. I held back from reading just for that purpose. :D.

message 27: by Zeljka (new)

Lol now I wish so much to speed up my reading :)

message 28: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments Hehe, just read a certain number of pages everyday. For example a chapter or two everyday or read for 20 to 30 munutes. I use that schedule for my book reading. I do not usually stick to it all the time especially if a book is super interesting, I read longer. Sometimes I read for less than 20 minutes.

message 29: by Zeljka (new)

Marren wrote: "Hehe, just read a certain number of pages everyday..."

Oh I used to be that disciplined before - do not know what happened that I started to skip that rule! Will try to go back to the routine as soon as possible :)

message 30: by Marren (new)

Marren | 127 comments I fell off that routine for a few years myself( I think it had to do with my university years), it is only from last year I went back to that routine. It took some time to start eating up the books again, haha. Just take it step by step.

message 31: by Zeljka (new)

I am so happy that I can add a new chapter to this project, something no one believed will be ever done:

AUSTEN 11 -- Appendix: Sanditon

message 32: by Zeljka (new)

If you love Jane Austen and want to know more about her, I would encourage you to try this online course (it is free of charge unless you want a certificate):

Jane Austen: Myth, Reality and Global Celebrity