The Sword and Laser discussion

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
This topic is about Old Man's War
2013 Reads > OMW: Easy Read

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gregg Montgomery | 3 comments Have finished the series of these and they are all nice easy reads.
Each book can be read on its own but are all the better for reading in order.
As single stories each stands as complete but the series fits together as a good "old fashioned" space opera.
Good romp, no thinking required.

Mikey | 6 comments Gregg wrote: "Have finished the series of these and they are all nice easy reads.
As single stories each stands as complete but the s..."

Agreed! I actually started the series in October, and have really enjoyed it all so far. This is a great pick. I read Redshirts first and moved to Old War immediately after because I loved Redshirts.

Gregg Montgomery | 3 comments Mikey wrote: "Gregg wrote: "Have finished the series of these and they are all nice easy reads.
As single stories each stands as comp..."

That was the order I did it in also.

message 4: by Mitch (new)

Mitch | 31 comments I have a few more pages left to finish the Hobbit and will start Old Man's War in time for Sword and Laser's book kick-off. Somehow I've managed to miss Scalzi but after reading the sample for Redshirts will make up for that. As an aside the idea came for comments made by Wil Wheaton in his commentaries to the Star Trek television series.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 8 comments I got excited that the next book pick would be Old Man's War because I'd been looking for an excuse to read it... Of course, I had way too much time on my hands over the Christmas break, so I've already finished it and moved on to book 2.

Katina French (thatdarnkat) | 48 comments Managed to pick it up while it was on the "Kindle Deal" mentioned in another thread, and whipped right through it. Like Mikey, I read Redshirts first (which, aside from his award-winning April Fools joke, was the first of Scalzi's stuff I'd read).

One thing that surprised me was how consistent he is as a writer. I take it that Old Man's War was written several books before Redshirts, and was his first novel? If so, it's refreshing that he (A) started off so strong, and (B) didn't burn out with progressive works.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Polley (polleydan) | 22 comments Mikey wrote: I read Redshirts first and moved to Old War immediately after because I loved Redshirts.

That's what I did, too. I just finished "The Ghost Brigades" the other day and am looking forward to heading onto book 3 of the series.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Kat wrote: "One thing that surprised me was how consistent he is as a writer. I take it that Old Man's War was written several books before Redshirts, and was his first novel?"

First published novel, but second written. The first written would be Agent to the Stars, the book he wrote to prove to himself he could actually write a novel, then decided to put up on his website for free and ask for donations. Old Man's War went through a similar process, but eventually led to his publishing deal. You can read all the details on Scalzi's blog.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I read this fairly quickly as well. I finished yesterday and really enjoy Scalzi's style of writing. Very easy going, descriptive but not brought down by it if that makes sense.

Kirsten Bailey (klbailey) | 82 comments Dara wrote: "I read this fairly quickly as well. I finished yesterday and really enjoy Scalzi's style of writing. Very easy going, descriptive but not brought down by it if that makes sense."

I really enjoy his writing style too, and I'll definitely be moving on to some of his other books. I'm not really into 'war' stories, so it says a lot about Scalzi's writing that I enjoyed this book so much.

message 11: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff | 11 comments I had never read any of Scalzi's books until a friend dragged me to a reading he was doing for Redshirts. I loved the reading and I loved the book. This "event" here has provided me the excuse to pick up Old Man's War and move it to the front of the reading queue.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments I'm listening to the audio version, which I'm pretty new to, so it's hard for me to judge if it's an easy read or not, but I listened to an hour or so this afternoon, and I'm really eager to know more, so it's a good sign. I'm also loving the characters very much, and have really enjoyed the way the conversations were written. I also find everything very easy to visualise, so I'm definitely glad this book was finally chosen on here.

Daryl | 88 comments I became aware of Scalzi through Wil Wheaton and finally picked up Old Man's War last year. The first and only Scalzi I've read so far but I loved it. Quick, light, and fun read. I look forward to reading more of his work but need to get through some others in my queue first ;).

message 14: by Daran (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:09PM) (new)

Daran | 599 comments I started with Old Man's War several years ago, and I've been a fan of Scalzi's work ever since. I think I went through it in a couple fo sittings, maybe six hours all told.

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 2 comments I picked up Old Man's War in the Humble eBook bundle and had heard great things about it. I then began reading it and have now purchased most of the rest of the series and currently in The Last Colony and over halfway done. I really like this series as Scalzi made the tech believably possible down the line. As soon as he talked about the brainpal or the skip drives, it all seemed like some day we may be able to do something similar.

I already foresee me picking up more of Scalzi's books, but first to finish the ones I have.

message 16: by Erik (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Yeah, I'm not a fast reader and I burned through it in 3 days. About 140 pages the first day, 150 or so on the second, and the 20-30 pages that were left on the third. Scalzi's hardly reinventing the wheel here, but he delivers a couple of really good twists and he nails his chapter breaks so you always want to read just one more chapter.

message 17: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments OMG I love this book. I like easy reads. 60% done in two days. That's fast for me

message 18: by Spencer (last edited Jan 04, 2013 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Spencer (spencecarter) | 12 comments This book was a wonderful read. It was my introduction to Scalzi as a novelist. I've read his blog for a very long time (enjoy his wit) and just couldn't make the leap to reading his fictional works for fear of not enjoying them. I can say that those fears were completely unfounded. I received it as part of the Humble Bundle and started it before its selection for this month's book. However, with the holidays and rumors of its possible selection, i put it down and picked it up again to start the year. Fun, compelling, insightful and realistically drawn characters. I'm moving forward with this series and hope that Scalzi maintains his creativity throughout his other endeavors.

Andrew (truckinggeek) | 25 comments I'd never heard of this book nor the author before seeing it as the pick on here. Decided to risk it. Wow, very well written. I have to actually tear myself away from it to do mundane things like go to work etc!! Have a feeling I'll be finished this very quickly. I'm just about to begin chapter 5 already and only started reading it in my lunch break at work on Jan 1st!!

Emmanuel Parfond (frenchdude) | 45 comments I'm reading this after Cloud Atlas, what a difference !

message 21: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin Stamper (stamps) | 5 comments I love this book. I have read Scalzi's stand alone novels but hadn't had a chance to start reading this series until now. This seems to be a quicker read than The Android's Dream or Redshits.

Katina French (thatdarnkat) | 48 comments Joe wrote: "First published novel, but second written. The first written would be Agent to the Stars"

Thanks for the clarification. After reading Redshirts, I saw him on a conference panel about humor in speculative fiction with Ernie Cline, Jim C. Hines and Laura Resnick. The humor in OMW is another thing I appreciated. Like Kirsten said, I'm not so much into the war stories, so I think the gallows humor was the reason I was able to enjoy it as much as I did.

message 23: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments My B.A. Is in literature and I find books like On my way! To be exactly my style of book. Pretentious flowery and head scratching philosophy all have their place (in a discount pile) in my opinion, and I had to read a lot of that kind of thing to not only form that opinion, but have the bona fides to tell others. In my board certified opinion, this was a great book. So, there.

bookthump | 44 comments Jim wrote: "My B.A. Is in literature and I find books like On my way! To be exactly my style of book. Pretentious flowery and head scratching philosophy all have their place (in a discount pile) in my opinion,..."

HA! Twenty bucks says Jim's mobile device just auto-corrected Old Man's War to "On my way!".

This is the first John Scalzi book I have ever read though I have been aware of him by name for a few years, mostly through Wil Wheaton's blog. Being introduced to new-to-me authors is exactly why I joined Sword & Laser. I am enjoying this book and am interested to check out the next in the series.

message 25: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments Oh for Pete sake! Thanks for the save.

message 26: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Wiswell | 86 comments This has been one of the easiest reads I've picked up in a long time. It's very breezy, drawn out enough to skim smoothly, not too much happening in any given chapter, and just repetitive enough that if I missed something he'll make it obvious. Some might consider that description negative, but it's actually rather fun when it's executed with his frequent attempts at humor and unfolding concepts. Reminds me of Christopher Priest's The Prestige in how consumable it feels.

Emmanuel Parfond (frenchdude) | 45 comments "On my way" for "old man's war" ?
Auto correct thread ! :)

Cameron Harris (cameroniharris) | 6 comments I just finished Old Man's War last night. I don't think they are that easy, but they are a lot easier than most other good science fiction novels(e.g. God's War by Kameron Hurley).