Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Red Country (First Law World, #6)
This topic is about Red Country
The First Law Series > Red Country Part III-Crease

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Dang this town is just a tad bit wild...where is the sheriff when you need one?

message 2: by Hanne (last edited Dec 25, 2012 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hanne (hanne2) It was a place of wild abandon, wild hope, wild despair, everything at extremes and nothing in moderation, dreams trodden into the muck and new ones sucked from bottles to be vomited up and trodden down in turn

Buildings were botched together from split pine and high hopes, held up by the drunks slumped against both sides, women risking their lives to lean from wonky balconies and beckon in the business

Crease certainly sounds like a nice place...
I'm just one chapter into this part so i don't know much yet. But by description, that graceful pretty mayor sure sounds a lot like Carlot dan Elder*... no?

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Yes, a bit, but harder.
Crease certainly does sound a disgusting place. I couldn't image being in all that mud constantly.

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Oh and Jubair cracks me up too, with his fanaticism and his God replies.

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments Temple and Shy, sitting in a tree .... - Its gotta happen soon.

Hanne (hanne2) yes... no need to be a psychic about that one...

and now off to the dragon people. i hope Abercrombie's version of dragon people are more exciting than ms daenerys, and actually do something (apart from buying abducted children that is)

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments I like Lamb's version of flipping the bird. Start with fist then raise all the fingers except the missing middle one.

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) sigh, I doubt you are going to be happy Hanne. I don't think they do much apart from sit round hot stones in the nude. Didn't they do that in the Wheel of Time stories as well?

I can imagine Goldens dismay when he realises who he is fighting against. When The bloody nine gets going he is one giant scary fucker! Swearing when describing The Nine seems somewhat required :)

I am really liking Templer, I think the character is really well written, I just loved the part where he leaps out of the window, then tries to justify it to Shy. All she is thinking, is "when the shit hits the fan, all i see is a bare arse going out the window". I really like the way Abercrombie has played this character role, no magical moment of courage, just an ingrained aversion to risk.

Hanne (hanne2) aaah, what is it with dragon people? the only one that ever seems to do something was Eragon, and that was a book i just couldn't finish.

Temple is really nicely done. compared with the others he might sound a bit like a coward, but actually sounds realistic? can't win against three, so before you're both dead or dissapeared, go warn someone else so they know who did what. i think i would have made the same choice (though preferably with trousers on :)

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments Ha Ha. I loved the Temple arse out the window moment. I like how he still had his arse out after he got help.

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Yeah Hanne, I think that is what I liked so much about it. He said as much to Shy; if I had stayed i'd be dead right. Yeah. But you still jumped out the window and left me alone with them.

Shite, a good argument on both sides, there was no point in staying, he couldn't help, but....... hard not to feel deserted. Tough....... and Abercrombie doesn't shy away from those 'no win' situations.

I am with you Hanne, out the window was his best option, he ain't no Nine Fingers, but still, would be hard to face Shy afterwards. Sad but realistic.

message 12: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Zawadzki | 46 comments I had a funny feeling the dispute between Ring and the mayor wasn't going to end with a boxing match and a "you win some, you lose some" speech from the losing kingpin. Say one thing about Joe Abercrombie. Say he'll deliver bloody mayhem.