UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > What did Santa bring you?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We've not opened any gifts yet as we're not going to the family do til noon but I want to know what everyone else got!

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments We have to wait for the ducks to go in before we can open ours.

message 3: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 140 comments I received a nice new dimple . . . .

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Santa left me a small hangover.

And he didn't even bother to wrap it!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Nothing yet. This is probably why:

message 6: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Palmer | 255 comments Looks like Santa had a good night!

My other half got me a hoover for pet hair ... but I'll let him off because there was also booze and chocolate ;)

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Michael wrote: "Nothing yet. This is probably why:

"

Love it !

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I got a toaster.

message 9: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I got a wild swimming book!

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I got a kindle fire, and a fancy gadget that Bluetooths my lecture notes to my laptop (: x

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I got a laptop, a trip to Portugal and slipper socks.

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I got completely spoiled.

Most of the stuff I knew I was getting, as I'd spent my £200 during the last two weeks, and then there was the normal stuff - dressing gown, PJ's, underwear, socks & nifty little notebooks and stuff from paperchase

I got £40 worth of Amazon vouchers and £20 worth of Next vouchers too.

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments got a box of chocolates and vintage chewing gum (!) (Chiclets Adams) But we usually only give presents to the children!

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'm adopting a penguin for a year !

message 15: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Only a year? What happens after the 12 months expire?

message 16: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Have to pay for it myself I guess :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Michael wrote: "Only a year? What happens after the 12 months expire?"

Soup?

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I got 1001 films to see before you die. Sadly it didn't include the actual films!!! (although I've already seen quite a lot of them :-D)

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments The joy of seeing two over-excited kids enjoying themselves.

I have to up my donations to children's charities this year.

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Ah, Darren. Those were the days, for me. I have the joy of seeing two lovely and rather silly granddaughters for three days from tomorrow though.
I got sweeties, a book (DTB but it's about making patchwork bags - wouldn't work on Kindle!) and some eggs from my chickens.

Careful now Tim. Maybe when you've seen them all, you HAVE to die?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments I got my debut novel from November 2011 back into the top 100 in fantasy on Amazon Kindle! :)

Thanks, Santa!

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments Morning all,

The wife got me the Bond 50th Anniversary box set which was handy since I asked for it. I also got a book or two, a Waterstones gift card and some particularly impressive gin from a small distillery somewhere in Scotland.

The wife, however, was spoiled rotten by Santa.

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yeah, there's at least one film I'll refuse to see, just in case!

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Pleased to hear it!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I got some presents from the friends I spent the day with - Citrus room spray, a jar of honey, silicone oven gloves, Lynx deoderant and shower gel, A bamboo puzzle and a voucher for HMV. All totally unexpected but so nice to have parcels to unwrap.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Everyone gets frustrated with me cuz I won't open anything until everyone else has done theirs.

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (truckinggeek) | 90 comments Hi everyone. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Due to my work rota, today is technically my "Christmas day". I got the new world of warcraft expansion pack and a hobbit calendar. I've also bought the selected letters of charles dickens for my kindle which i'm now going to spend the rest of the day reading :-)

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate Baggott (httpswwwgoodreadscomkate_baggott) | 104 comments Andrew wrote: "Hi everyone. Hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Due to my work rota, today is technically my "Christmas day". I got the new world of warcraft expansion pack and a hobbit calendar. I've also bough..."

Sounds like a fantastic pile of presents, especially the Dickens letters. Do you think there is a Dickens for our time? It's a puzzle I'm trying to solve.

message 29: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (truckinggeek) | 90 comments Kate wrote: Do you think there is a Dickens for our time? It's a puzzle I'm trying to solve. ..."

That's a very thought provoking question. I was about to say Tolkien. But Really, Dickens was more of a social commentator of his time than Tolkien's work was. I'm guessing that modern soap operas come the closest to tackling contemporary social issues although imho they lack the literary flourish that Dickens had.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments I got an iPad for Christmas. I already have an iPad, but it belongs to work and I feel guilty when I play games on it, or read archaeology magazines on it, or draw pictures on it. So I told my husband I'd like a 32GB white iPad. He came back from the city muttering and grumbling about how hard it had been to find me one (there's no such thing as a surprise present in my house), but when I opened it on Christmas morning, it was a 64GB one. I asked him why he'd spent the extra money and he said it was because he couldn't find a 32GB white one, only black ones!

Do you think I'm a wee bit spoiled?

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Yes. But don't knock it Katie!

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments The problem is, I feel guilty.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Now - I could go into lecture mode here. I think guilt is a totally empty emotion and a waste of energy. Do something useful with your emotions - enjoyment is always a good one, I find! ;)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments No, No, Ignite, please don't lecture! I'll enjoy it, I will, I promise! Actually, I've found my work iPad incredibly useful, so this one - with free rein to do whatever I like with, (and so much more space), is going to be wonderful.

My son bought me a Wacom Bamboo stylus as well, so now I can draw straight onto the screen. Stay tuned for lots of computer generated images!

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments That sounds more like it! ;)

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Don't worry Katie, you'll still fill it up!

(Written from my 64GB White iPad with only 3GB free...)

message 37: by Rozsa (new)

Rozsa Gaston | 1 comments Santa wants to bring you something else today. Paris Adieu FREE Thurs. Dec. 27 only. A literate look at an American au pair coming of age in Paris. Wry. Sizzling. amzn.to/MLX194

message 38: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Ignite wrote: "Now - I could go into lecture mode here. I think guilt is a totally empty emotion and a waste of energy. Do something useful with your emotions - enjoyment is always a good one, I find! ;)"

On behalf of the blokes on the thread, may I enquire?

What is this thing, guilt, of which you speak?

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments It's what not to do. :)

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Rozsa wrote: "Santa wants to bring you something else today. Paris Adieu FREE Thurs. Dec. 27 only. A literate look at an American au pair coming of age in Paris. Wry. Sizzling. amzn.to/MLX194"

Dear Santa, please bring me a giant effing stick to whack the desperate with.

Love, Elle.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Santa brought my son an Ankh Morpork board game (son is 30 something, I hasten to add) so we're still trying to work out some strategy to win. May take some time.
Oh, and my petite daughter's Other Half gave her some slippers, size 8.... which is her dress size. Ooops!

message 42: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Phil and I shared our present this year and treated ourselves to a gorgeous hand tufted Kashan wool and silk rug.We decided to wait until Holly was fully toilet trained before buying it though we have been admiring it for months.
Put it down for the first time yesterday and no prizes for guessing what happened today!lol.

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Karen wrote: "Santa brought my son an Ankh Morpork board game (son is 30 something, I hasten to add) so we're still trying to work out some strategy to win. May take some time.
Oh, and my petite daughter's Other..."

Don't worry, he'll grow into it...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Rozsa wrote: "Santa wants to bring you something else today. Paris Adieu FREE Thurs. Dec. 27 only. A literate look at an American au pair coming of age in Paris. Wry. Sizzling. amzn.to/MLX194"

Dea..."

Peanut, I bloody adore you!!!!

message 45: by Robert (new)

Robert Franks | 150 comments Michael wrote: "Nothing yet. This is probably why:

"

Lol!!

message 46: by Robert (new)

Robert Franks | 150 comments Santa brought me (via my sister and my nephew) the best present I've had for years! A Murano Green Glass Apple ashtray set in a carved wooden chalice (carved by my very gifted nephew). I had one about twenty years ago, and it was the cornerstone on which my books were founded, but a rather disreputable ex-lodger made off with it, and I've been trying to track one down for years!
Santa also bought me far too many tins of chocolate. It's all very well family and friends knowing my greatest weakness, but do they really need to keep feeding my addiction! Got a tin of roses beside me as I type!

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Oh wow Bob! So chuffed you managed to replace your Glass Apple!

message 48: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Rozsa wrote: "Santa wants to bring you something else today. Paris Adieu FREE Thurs. Dec. 27 only. A literate look at an American au pair coming of age in Paris. Wry. Sizzling. amzn.to/MLX194"

Dea..."

I'm with you Elle

message 49: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (kiwi365) | 3707 comments I got the Hairy Bikers Diet cookbook,

Do you think my family are trying to tell me something?

I also got Brave on DVD, so looking forward to watching it. And the biggest, softest robe ever! It is amazing!

message 50: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Robert wrote: "Santa brought me (via my sister and my nephew) the best present I've had for years! A Murano Green Glass Apple ashtray set in a carved wooden chalice (carved by my very gifted nephew). I had one ab..."

I've been told on dot.com that it's possible to freeze chocolate, but I'm doubtful.

« previous 1