readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Lighthearted literary classics

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 15 comments Hi everyone, I'm in the mood for reading some classics, but many that's been labelled 'masterpieces' are either too depressing or come across as pretentious and elitist to me.. I'd like to read literary classics that are lighthearted and uplifting without the great emo or contemplative elements, if that makes sense.

Perhaps something like Don Quixote or even War and Peace, but not nearly as lengthy. I also like more modern classics such as Breakfast at Tiffany's or humorous but subtly profound works like I Am A Cat. Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 78 comments I'm not sure if they qualify, I read them a very long time ago, but:
The Pickwick Papers
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling

message 3: by Dan's (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

Dan's | 14 comments Have U ever tried any books from the following authors:

--Stendhal

--Andre Gide

--Allen Rob Grije ( I could easily propse some titles from these authors)

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 189 comments I think Jane Austen is pretty lighthearted.

Rochelle Jewel  Shapiro (rochellejewelshapiro) | 4 comments Goig to look into The Enchanted April. Never heard of it.

message 6: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
Cold Comfort Farm is another funny, lighthearted one. or probably anything by P.G. Wodehouse

message 7: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 15 comments thanks for all your recommendations ! looking forward to checking them out o∩_∩o

message 8: by Gea (new)

Gea | 20 comments I love Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Persuasion by Jane Austen and David Copperfield by Dickens. They are all fun, entertaining reads. And, yes. A Room With A View is fantastic too.

message 9: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 8 comments Sterne is pretty fun. A Sentimental Journey is shorter than The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman if you don't feel like taking on a massive tome.

message 10: by Jason (last edited Jan 20, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments hmm classics.... that that are light?! The Great Gatsby, the catcher in the rye, Queer (burroughs), the subterraneans, hot water music, slaughterhouse five, across the river and into the trees, fahrenheit 451, brave new world.... Little, Big (a more modern day classic, but light...ish)

I mixed up some older classics with newer ones.

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter (peteepie) | 64 comments The Prisoner of Zenda , from distant memory, is a lot of fun.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisag121ny) | 3 comments For more modern classics I would recommend The Master and Margarita and A Confederacy of Dunces. Both are "deep" but fun ;-)

message 14: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 14 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Oooh! I forgot The Pursuit of Love & Love in a Cold Climate"

I second these suggestions! Love Nancy Mitford!

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (skinnydippingintobooks) | 234 comments try, also The Power of One.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (napikoski) | 3 comments Candide by Voltaire! A particular favorite of mine, a classic from the 1700s, ridiculously sarcastic, downright zany, almost slapstick at parts, but it packs a political punch, too. (Oh, and it's really short.)

message 17: by Aisha (new)

Aisha |On Hiatus| (thebookshrimp) | 3 comments The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery