Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
This topic is about The Lost Hero
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Series Reads > Heroes of Olympus Series - January & Feb.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathie (last edited Dec 24, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Welcome to our first series read!

The Lost Hero The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus Series leading up to Goodreads Choice Award Winner The Mark of Athena The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan .
(The Mark of Athena is the third book in the series)

We're still figuring out when we will start this read in January.

Who would like to participate?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri | 2 comments My kids and I have been reading this series and really enjoy it. I'd love to be in a discussion on this series.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Great Terri! I'll be posting soon when we are going to start reading this.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Happy New Year everyone!

What does everyone think about starting The Lost Hero The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan on January 19th?

This is the first book in the series leading up to our March group read, The Mark of Athena.

Mariska Happy new years! Sounds good to me, can't wait to get the series started :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hi Mariska! Yea, someone else to read with :-)

message 7: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) I'm in!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Hooray Nicolette!

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
I'm in too, even though I might have to start a few days after you all! :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yea Vanessa! I'm starting to look forward to this one. I wasn't keen in the beginning but I got my 3 books in the series and now that they are sitting on my bookshelf I am getting stoked at starting them.

Would people like a reading schedule set up to read along or would you prefer to read at your own pace and post comments as you go along?

message 11: by Cathie (last edited Jan 16, 2013 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Prophecy of Seven

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world will fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bare arms to the Doors of Death.

Percy Jackson’s adventures ended with this cheery prophecy...
Now onto our Heroes of Olympus Series!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Main Characters

Leo son of Hephaestus
Piper daughter of Aphrodite
Jason son of Jupiter (A.K.A. Zeus)
Hazel daughter of Pluto (A.K.A. Hades)
Frank son of Mars (A.K.A. Ares)
Percy son of Poseidon
Annabeth daughter of Athena

Olympian parents of Seven Demigods

Jupiter
Posideon
Athena
Pluto
Mars
Aphrodite
Hephaestus

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
Cathie wrote: "Yea Vanessa! I'm starting to look forward to this one. I wasn't keen in the beginning but I got my 3 books in the series and now that they are sitting on my bookshelf I am getting stoked at start..."

I've never tried having a reading schedule (except in school). I think I prefer reading at my own pace but maybe it's worth a try! What are other people thinking?

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I like reading at my own pace too, but thought I would throw it out there as another option :-)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Greek - Roman Mythology
↓ * * * * *↓
Zeus- Jupiter or Jove (The sky)
Hera- Juno (marriage, mothersm families)
Poseidon- Neptune (sea)
Demeter- Ceres (Agriculture)
Ares- Mars (war)
Athena- Minerva (wisdom, war, useful arts)
Apollo- Apollo (archery, music, poetry, prophecy, medicine, and the sun)
Artemis- Diana (moon, hunt, young maidens)
Hephaestus- Vulcan (blacksmiths and fire)
Aphrodite- Venus (love, beauty)
Hermes- Mercury (Roadways, travlers, thieves, mechants)
Dionysus- Bacchus (wine)
Pluto also known as Hades- Dis Pater also known as Orcus (the Underworld)
Iris (rainbow, messenger of the Olympians)
Hypnos (sleep)
Nemesis (revenge)
Nike (victory)
Hebe (youth)
Tyche (good luck, fortune)
Hecate (magic, crossroads, ghosts)
Hestia- Vesta (hearth and home)
Janus (beginnings, choices, doorways)
Eros-Cupid
Hebe-Juventas
Hecate-Trivia
Tyche-Fortuna
Persephone-Prosperina
No Greek Counterpart-Pompona
No Greek Counterpart-Terminus
Khione-Chione
Eris-Discordia
Enyo-Bellona

Just some reference info, for those really interested in the mythology :-)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yea! The 19th is approaching fast. I've got my book and I'm working the overnight shift tonight, so maybe I'll be able to sneak a few pages in, after midnight, lol.
Is everyone ready for this read? (I feel like a kid in a candy store, lol)

Maysa A (mayochka) Got my ebook copy so am in

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Wow; I'm quite surprised. I'm loving this so far!

(Seen on a Goodread's member's review)
Meet our new demigods; Jason, Piper and Leo.
Jason is the mystery in this trio, see he doesn't remember anything, not even who he is. A God has stolen his memories.
Piper has a secret, a terrible one that will only cause pain and suffering, but what other choice does she have?
Leo, the comic relief of our group, is good at fixing stuff, now only if he can fix his past long enough to stop the running.
Each are intertwined through a destiny that has brought them to this moment in time.
A Quest. The start of the new prophecy has begun...

message 19: by Jojo (new) - added it

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I got this book last night, I was just wondering if you have to read Percy Jackson first or if this series is a stand alone?

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I was wondering the same thing Joanne, but I read several group discussions on Goodreads that said you can read this one as a stand alone. I guess if you have read the Percy Jackson series, there may be a bit of an advantage, but we didn't have the time to read that series and be ready for Mark of Athena for this 2012 Choice Awards.

I am at page 77 in Lost Hero and I am having no trouble following along. The author does a good job at putting in the background information you need to know, and this series is a new adventure highlighting Jason, Piper and Leo.

message 21: by Jojo (new) - added it

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments Great! I will probably start this later today. After Gone Girl I'm in the mood for something less intense!

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I'm going to start a new thread for discussion now that we are reading the book. It will be in Series Read.
Post your thoughts, comments, etc. about The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan there :-)

This thread is closed now.

message 23: by Jojo (new) - added it

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I'm 25% in and really liking it! I may be done tonight....just wondering if I have to wait until next month to read the next ones or if I can go ahead (and just not post spoilers)?

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Glad you liking it so much Joanne :-). You can read as fast as heart likes! The threads for the others won't be up until February and March for Mark of Athena which is the Book of The Month for March (that's why we are having the series reads to lead up to it.)

Please post all thoughts, comments, shares on Lost Hero in this thread http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... from now on. That is where the discussion will be for the Lost Hero Book :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.