Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey question

Sympathetic to Christian.
Michael Michael Dec 24, 2012 08:40PM
I finally read this highly anticipated novel. I was surprised how great it was, it was full of passion and suspense. Regarding the character of Christian, Am I the only one that felt sympathetic to him? I know that he bascially used Anatashia for sex, but I think that he really liked her. I know that he had certian rules that she had to follow but I never took him serious. I think he just tried to scare her, but never really meant it.

I really liked himm as a Character, what about you?

I love Christian Grey! He knows he has a dark side and tries to be better man. I love his over protectiveness to Anastasia and his family, his control freakiness and his intelligence! So sexy!

Michael wrote: "I finally read this highly anticipated novel. I was surprised how great it was, it was full of passion and suspense. Regarding the character of Christian, Am I the only one that felt sympathetic to..."

I loved the character of "Christian Grey". Very lovable character. But, I do think that he wanted what he wanted from Ana in the beginning as he had not had a partner for a couple of months. Christian just happened to form feelings for her of which were unexpected. And the story goes from there.
Glad you enjoyed the book, I know I did!

Any hoo!! I absolutely loved these books!!! Don't know if I felt sorry for him but I do love him!!! And I know he is a damaged soul trying to do right in the end.

I felt kinda sympathetic for. I know i put a front so people will just so people will leave me be. If you put up a strong front, or put up a wall somebody sooner or later going to challenge that wall & want to break it down. You're right i think he wanted to scare her but apparently she didnt scare to easily.

Not after the first novel. I did start to feel sypathetic later as more about his character was revealed in the 2nd and 3rd novels, though.

I am going to say this, I feel like I can since I speak from experience. To say Christian is abusive is a stretch. He is a dominant, and submissives know what they are getting into. Just an FYI there are NO safe words in an abusive relationship. You are at the abusers mercy. Having said that BDSM is not a world everyone can understand or wrap their head around. Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean it is wrong. But don't confuse abuse for BDSM...2 very different things

Christina Teilmann Just out of curiosity, what would you call what he did on their honeymoon when Ana accidentally dropped her bikini top, if not abusive?
Jun 01, 2013 04:34PM · flag

No, I felt no sympathy for him. His so called problems were relatively minor, and the 'damage' he suffered as a child in no way made up for his actions or excused them. (Not to mention the things that should have caused a good deal more trauma to him are brushed aside or even defended, like the woman who took advantage of him at a young age.)
I can get behind characters who have trouble showing their feelings, but not to the extent that they degrade their partner. Maybe he improved in the last two installments, though from what I've been hearing that isn't the case, but in the first book I never got the feeling he loved Ana. All I saw was a little boy obsessing over a toy or pet and then throwing fit after fit when things didn't go his way. That's not sympathetic or loving to me.

Christian is an abusive man. He is an adult that chooses to carry on the cycle of abuse. Anastasia is a weak minded poor excuse for a woman and James is the worst author I have ever read. Complete waste of my time!!!

Meghan Beverly Same here! I am so glad to not feel like the only one out there that feels this way. Thank you.
Jan 14, 2013 09:59AM

I felt sympathetic for Hitler too.

*that was sarcasm fyi*