What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Maiden Flight
This topic is about Maiden Flight
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. scifi novel: cloud nine cities, post-holocaust [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Nov 20, 2014 10:34AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments SOLVED: _Maiden Flight_ by Eric Vinicoff

After the bombs went off, men took Fuller's Could Nine concept and built floating cities in huge solar-heated balloons. They're all independent and lovey-dovey utopias... except they keep losing cities every once in awhile.

One of the people comes to the conclusion that this is happening too often, and too regularly to be accidental - and starts looking for the cause. And nobody in authority wants to listen to him/her.

(view spoiler)

Basically talks up how a balloon city would be launched by underground production cities, how they go on scavenging missions, and have get togethers, and how the society is set up.

Protag eventually ends up in a brand-new city, which is just getting off the ground (exciting launch) and is ready to start establishing its farms, etc, etc...

Found a copy: _Maiden Flight_ by Eric Vinicoff

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Short story or novel? (I vaguely recall something like this from "Analog")

message 3: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Dec 25, 2012 04:45AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Definitely a novel (read it in paperback, but damn if I can remember the cover). But, I've been told there were a whole spate of stories/books with this type of theme. So, it'll be difficult.

Also, probably no earlier publication date than 2000. I read it in the last 10 years, and it was old and yellowed when I bought it (so I'm figuring earlier).

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 89 comments I would love to find out what this is. I try some key-word searches, but came up with nothing that fit.

message 5: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Feb 20, 2013 10:01AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Yeah, same here. I did searches online, and I'd found someone else who was looking for a very similar (if not the same) book on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/science%2...

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:38:25 PM PDT
Gilbert J. Avila

Of course, amazon won't let you post in their forums (even after making an account) unless you're also a customer.

I actually summarized that whole thread, and was going to update it with the books still not found, the books found, the recommendations, and commentary (I think I ID'd a book or two?) But yeah, Amazon isn't playing nice to random people on the internet, so I'm not permitted to play there.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 158 comments Long shot, but Orion Shall Rise?

message 7: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jan 17, 2013 01:10AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments No, but that does look quite good. That looks close to another story that I was looking for (I just updated that thread). I do know that "The Sky People" (1959) is one I've got (somewhere), and I didn't know the name of.

But, added bonus - I do recall that that is not close to the last name. The last name of the author is after R and before W/X, based on where it was filed in the bookstore that I got/read it from.

message 8: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Jan 30, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments *bump* And I did order Orion Shall Rise, haven't started it however...

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Got _Orion Shall Rise_, and it does look like there's a big *something* in the stratosphere (from what I've read so far) - however this is not the book I'm looking for. :\

message 10: by Trilobyte (new)

Trilobyte | 152 comments you might find it here if you trawl through the list - it lists short stories as well as novels and gives a synopsis of each story:-
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/nuclear...

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I've glanced thru that list, and nothing popped out at me - but I've not yet found the time to dig up every review of everything mentioned there. :\

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments organizing, nothing to see here.