2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Shelly's Challenge ~30 books~in 2013

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 161 comments Still thinking about what I hope to read, challenges in which I hope to participate. But I am hoping to read at least 30 books in 2013.

message 2: by Shelly (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:43PM) (new)

Shelly | 161 comments 11/22/63 by Stephen King
Starting off 2013 with 4 stars.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

This is 1/2 for January's new beginnings challenge--
Read a book where the main character starts out on a new part of his or her life

and 1/5 for the History Challenge
2007: iPhone: Read a book about technology, or any science fiction novel.
The technology part of it is interesting because he has to learn to rely on more primitive technologies, no internet, no cell phone.

message 3: by Shelly (last edited Jan 19, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

Shelly | 161 comments Scars of Sweet Paradise The Life and Times of Janis Joplin by Alice Echols
4 stars

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

For the History Challenge
2008: Lady Gaga Releases First Album: Read a book about music, monsters or fame.

January's New Beginning Challenge
Read a book by an author whose first or last name starts with the letter A (Alice Echols)

message 4: by Shelly (last edited Jan 31, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

Shelly | 161 comments The Pleasing Hour by Lily King
meh. 2 stars

For the History Challenge
2003: Amber Alert System Created: Read a book about someone who goes missing or runs/is running away from something.
Rosie is running away from her life in the US, and trying to decide how to deal with the consequences of her choices.

message 6: by Shelly (last edited Mar 28, 2013 06:55PM) (new)

Shelly | 161 comments An Inconvenient Wife

3 stars

Story was different, loved the historical setting in NYC.

History Challenge: 1995: O.J. Simpson Trial: Read a book about law, courts, or any murder mystery novel.

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 161 comments The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be

4 stars
An inspiring piece of non-fiction. We need an autism revolution.

1998: Google Founded: Read a book about Google, searching, or learning.

message 8: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 161 comments The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
4 stars, a great piece of science ficition.

message 10: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 161 comments I didn't keep track of them here, but I made it, I read 30 books in 2013!
Here is my 2013 bookshelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

The last 2 books I read were both 5 stars. A Canticle for Leibowitz is a sci-fi classic, written in 1960. The book is post-nuclear apocalypse, and very frightening even today..... maybe moreso.

And the Orphan Master's Son won the Pulitzer Prize in 2012, a modern classic, a peek into life in North Korea. Also scary, because this is modern North Korea. Nobody should have to live like that.

And the best book I read this year is Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, a story of the Vietnam War. Very powerful.