Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

The Bookish Common Room > 2012 Review: What would you do differently?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Another year has come and gone, and something always comes up or goes away, leading to less or more reading time. Maybe you had 10 challenges for the year and completed all, or maybe you didn't. How did 2012 go for you - would you want 2013 to be more or less the same?

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Some of the books this year were ones that I read for various goodreads groups and sometimes I felt that I had to get the book read just because it was the chosen book for the month. In 2013 I want to give myself permission to skip the chosen reads if they don't appeal to me.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
i feel that way quite often Lynn - finally about half-way through the year, I just said screw it, and hardly did any group reads

message 4: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) It's been quite the opposite with me. I barely did any group reads this year. The year I joined GR, I took part in every group read - even books I didn't feel like reading. Then I decided to just read what I want. In 2013, I want to take part in more group reads, but only for those books I actually want to read.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I feel the same way that you do, Athira. When I first started GR, I did a lot of challenges & group reads. I didn't do that this year. However, in 2013, I want to focus on the stuff that I really want to read and join challenges that will stimulate me to read and reach my reading goal.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) I have read more books this year than I have ever read in a year. For several years, although I still read, I just kind of got in a reading slump. I think part of that was due to going back to college,trying to work while being a single parent. I also think by joining GR and having others who share my love of reading has helped tremendously too. For a long time, the only person I had to talk books with was my mom and she only reads romance/historical/christian/historical christian fiction. Although I like all of those genres, I got a little bored with them. This year, being on GR talking to other members, making new friends,joining challenges has helped me tremendously in exploring/trying new genres and authors. It has been a lot of fun. I am a challenge addict as they really encourage trying out new genres etc. Reading the books of the month for my groups hasn't really been something I participate in simply because most of the books chosen in my groups are new releases or books in a series that I have not started or could catch up in. I live in a very small area with some what small libraries that just don't get a lot of the "new" books until months later and by that time the group read has come and gone LOL. For 2013, I am going to continue joining my groups challenges,probably stay away from the group reads,read my own books NOT LIBRARY BOOKS lol and have fun with my groups reading what I want and hopefully just have another great year of reading ☺

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:29AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 343 comments Mod
I am feeling like Lynn B., Samantha, and Dee. I have decided not to let the desire to participate in group reads and/or challenges dominate my reading life. I found myself rushing through books and not taking the time to really enjoy them fully, and I was neglecting books I really wanted to read in favor of the group reads.

This year, if the group selects a book that appeals to me, I'll read it. If not, forget it. I will participate in challenges, but only to the degree that it is fun.I love challenges, and last year I was just too driven by them. I want to get back to selecting books because they excite me.

However, I do enjoy discussing books on Goodreads. It is an exciting forum that provides stimulating discussion about a variety of books, and I am looking forward to more of that in the coming year, as well as, challenges that promote my growth as a reader.

message 8: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 65 comments Last year I felt too driven by my "goal number", instead of enjoying the books at my own speed. This year I want to enjoy reading my books and focus on reading books I already own or have on my TBR list. Not focus on the final number of books or pages, just on reading for enjoyment.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I can understand that, Rebecca.