Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

The Bookish Common Room > 2012 Review: What is your favorite book of the year?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) And because we know that you cannot just have one favorite, fire away your top five favorites!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 26, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

A Good American --written by a British author living in the U.S.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a U.S. author who lives in Sweden

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Definatey a hunger like no other by kresley cole...followed closely by good omens by pratchett and gaiman.

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:19PM) (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) In no specific order because I could never choose
Nineteen Minutes
Handle With Care
Safe Haven
The Best of Me
Where We Belong

message 5: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Cassie ♥ wrote: "A Good American --written by a British author living in the U.S.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a U.S. author who lives in Sweden"

I've heard quite a bit about Good American. I'm glad that it is one of your favorites!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily My five favorites for 2012 were:
Life of Pi
The White Tiger
The Poisonwood Bible
The Kite Runner
Elegance of the Hedgehog

message 8: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:11PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) I am probably in the minority when I say this but I don't have "favorites" when it comes to books. I read them, rate them,enjoy them and move on LOL.But it's fun to see what everyone else's favorites are ☺ I don't usually re-read books either unless it is a book that I read years and years ago when I was in middle school/jr high school where I don't really remember a lot of the story line.

message 9: by Nancy H (last edited Jan 01, 2013 04:38PM) (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments LOL - I couldn't even narrow it to five! I read quite a bit and enjoy a wide variety of genres, so I could only narrow it down to 10 from the list of those I truly loved, listed here in no particular order:
- The Master Butchers Singing Club - Louise Erdrich
- The Ice Princess - Camilla Lackberg
- The Fourth Man - K.O. Dahl
- Virgin River - Robyn Carr
- Bahamarama (and the next two in his mystery series, Jamaica Me Dead and Bermuda Schwartz) - Bob Morris
- Catching Jordan - Miranda Keneally
- Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
- The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection - Alexander McCall Smith
- The Whistling Season - Ivan Doig
- The Earth Hums in B Flat - Mari Strachan

message 11: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 40 comments At the top of my list and my brain at the moment my favorite of the 2012 year was:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) **waves at Magipe** How are ya? It's been a while since I have seen you ☺ Hope all is well with ya and you are having a great New Year!!!!

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess Schira I didn't read that many books that blew me away last year, but these are the ones that stood out.

Girl Under Glass
The Mark of Athena
Life's too Short

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve mitchell | 11 comments At Swim Two Birds surprised me for several reasons. It stayed with me most of the year.

message 16: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (gfigure) | 18 comments Got hooked on the Flavian De Luce series by Alan Bradley

message 17: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Great lists, all! I seem to be adding a lot of books to my list now.

I've added all books (but one) until this post to the group bookshelf under 2012-member-favorites shelf. The book I didn't add is one of Jessica's favorites, Life's too Short. A GR search gave me too many choices. Jessica, could you let me know the author so that I can add the book to the group? Thanks! :)

message 19: by Kirsten (last edited Jan 04, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 40 comments My 10 favourite reads of 2012 are (in a somewhat particular order):
1. The Fault in Our Stars
2. The Language of Flowers
3. The Virgin Cure
4. The Maze Runner
5. The Scorpio Races
6. Once a Witch
7. The Demon King
8. XVI
9. Always a Witch
10. Passion

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy I particularly enjoyed these in audio book format:

The Story of Beautiful Girl
Open (I'm a huge tennis fan)

I also liked UnWholly which is the second book in the "Unwind" series.

message 22: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 40 comments ♥Robin ♥ wrote: "**waves at Magipe** How are ya? It's been a while since I have seen you ☺ Hope all is well with ya and you are having a great New Year!!!!"

Hello Back!!!! Sorry I don't get to this room very often... New Year is going well, Thanks!