Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2012 Archive > Welcome to the 2013 challenge!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (last edited Dec 24, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Welcome to the 2013 challenge! To some of you, the goals of this group are familiar, but allow me to state and restate them for the benefit of the new faces here.

The Cover to Cover group aims to motivate you to pick a target number of books that you want to read each year. We have four lounges to choose from
- The 50s Club for those planning to read around 50 books in 2013
- The 100s Club for those planning to read around 100 books in 2013
- The 150s Club for those planning to read around 150 books in 2013
- The 200s Club for those planning to read around 200 books in 2013
- The Sky's the Limit Club for those planning to read more than 250 books in 2013

What do I do?
- Choose how many books you would like to read in 2013, then go to the respective group and create a thread for yourself. (If you do not know how to create a thread, see note instructions in this thread.) For example, if you plan to read 100 books in 2013, go to The 2013 100s Club, and create your own post where you will post your updates. If you plan to read 75 books in 2013, go to The 2013 50s Club, and create your own post where you will post your updates.
- Each club has its own lounge, so please go and start commenting whenever you wish. In addition, you can join the entire crowd at the Great Hall thread.
- You're done! (Please let me know if you are running into any trouble.)

What's new or changed?
Minichallenges: We will have a new resolutions thread opening soon, where you can state your 2013 reading resolutions. You can add your reading goals throughout the year, because, hey, reading preferences change all through the year, right? The catch is: some of your resolutions will become a minichallenge during one of the months. What better way to motivate you to complete your goals.

The goals that you put up in this resolution thread should be more project-based. For instance, aiming to read 200 books in 2013 is more of a running year-long goal. But the kind of goals we are looking for in this thread, are like the following:
- read 10 Booker Award winners
- read 15 books featuring immigrants or immigrant life
- read 5 books set in Ireland

What's no more?
Buddy Reads: Since this didn't exactly pan out last year, we'll be discontinuing this feature.

What stays the same?
Readathon: We'll still have six readathons this year, running Saturday to Saturday. All minichallenges end on the last date of a readathon.

Get Started!
Go to the club of your choice and plan out your reading or create your thread!
- The 50s Club
- The 100s Club
- The 150s Club
- The 200s Club
- The Sky's the Limit Club

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
the 2013 goals thread can be found HERE

message 3: by Ceanne (new)

Ceanne | 2 comments Hi there...is there going to be a counter like the last couple of years that shows up on our individual "home" pages?

message 4: by Dee (new)

that should run through the goodreads site itself - and will likely be up tomorrow - I think it went live on Jan 1 last year as well

message 5: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Minichallenges for January are posted!

Link

message 6: by Dee (last edited Jan 01, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

The 2013 challenge for the group should now be showing at the top of the group page or you can find it HERE

A few hints for making sure your books count (if you decide to participate) - you don't have to...

How to join and make sure your books are counted
- state the number of books you are aiming for
- you will need to set up a challenge specific shelf to put your books on - I use read-2013 (or something similar)
- make sure when you complete a book that you tag it was a date completed and place it on the shelf you identified - if you are missing either of these 2, it will not count

message 7: by Jenha (new)

Jenha Roberts (Swollenstrings) | 1 comments I've just joined now and thought I'd do 20 seeing as how it's June but then I saw this and I want to change it to 50! It's a challenge after all. Anyone know how to change this?

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Jenha wrote: "I've just joined now and thought I'd do 20 seeing as how it's June but then I saw this and I want to change it to 50! It's a challenge after all. Anyone know how to change this?"

You can change it from the home page Jenha.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 26 comments Hey! Almost to the end of 2013...what a great reading year! Are we going to be doing the challenge again in 2014? I love the little challenge button thingy on the home page. Hope to see it with the number of books to meet the goal again in the coming year!!

message 10: by Dee (new)

Yep we will be Anne - keep an eye out for new folders soon ;)

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 26 comments Dee wrote: "Yep we will be Anne - keep an eye out for new folders soon ;)"

Great! Can't wait! Already planning my reading list!