Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Hales books for 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:17AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Here we go. I read 50 in 2012. I'll see if i can do it again.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Here's No.2 My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannon.

Is it considered cheating if it's a kid's book?

message 3: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (lizziebeans) Definitely not cheating! I have the sudden urge to find a copy and reread My Father's Dragon. Thanks for posting this one.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) Oh my goodness! I forgot about this book! Loved it!!

message 5: by Kathy (last edited Jan 16, 2013 10:40AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments #3 The Keepers of the Rose by D.J. Dalasta Keepers of the Rose by D.J. Dalasta

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Cattanach (jesscatt) | 217 comments How did you enjoy The Curious Incident...? I read it a few years ago and remember liking it at the time :)

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments I had a hard time reading it as a paper book. it was much more enjoyable to me as an audio book.

message 8: by Kathy (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 4 of 50 Thunderstruck. Thunderstruck by Erik Larson

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 5 of 50 Justinian’s Flea: Plague, Empire, and the Birth of Europe Justinian’s Flea Plague, Empire, and the Birth of Europe by William Rosen

You have to like Roman Empire history and medical history for this one.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.6 Loving Frank Loving Frank by Nancy Horan I really liked this one about Frank Lloyd Wright. A very surprising ending.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.7 Crispin The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1) by Avi Crispin: The Cross of Lead? a Newberry Award winner. Very pleasant read

message 12: by Kathy (last edited Mar 12, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.8 His Family His Family by Ernest Poole . I liked this book but a little sentimental. An old man and his three daughters live in NY City just before WWII and how it was changing at an alarming rate.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.9 The Adventures of Tom Bombadil The Adventures of Tom Bombadil by J.R.R. Tolkien . A cute book of poetry based on the character of the Fellowship of the Rings by Tolkien.

message 14: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments I need to read the Tom Bombadil book! Thanks!! I loved the Fellowship of the ring and his character

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 10 A History of Reading A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel . An interesting look at the need to read.

message 16: by Kathy (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:34PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 11 The End of Your Life Book Club The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe This was a great book for book lovers. Over 100 books mentioned with a nicely printed list of them in the back. it is the story of a women who has pancreatic cancer and her son who discuss the books that they read in the last years of her life. It also touchces on how she deals with her disease and treatment. "I can't control the waves but I can learn to surf".

message 17: by Kathy (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:04AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.12 Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3) by Georgia Byng Can't say this was a real page turner. Not going to go on the 1001 books you should read.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda (lndoyle) | 313 comments Your comment made me laugh. I've read quite a few lately that won't make it on the "must read" list! Here's hope our next few choices are better.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Sometimes just because there is good cover art doesn't mean the inside will be good.

message 20: by Kathy (last edited Apr 03, 2013 11:13AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 13 The Paris Wife The Paris Wife by Paula McLain . I had seen this on a couple of book lists and it sounded interesting. it was Ok but not great. it did pull me in with the person of Hadley to see what it is like to be married to a writer who is just becoming famous.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 14 Mother Goose in Prose Mother Goose in Prose by L. Frank Baum . I have always loved L. Frank Baum. He makes stories of the Mother Goose ryhmes. very Horatio Alger with moral messages of good and evil.

message 22: by Kathy (last edited Apr 13, 2013 07:07PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 15 I liked this book. I think it would extremely difficult for a child from the 20th century to be able to survive in 1212.Crusade in Jeans Crusade in Jeans by Thea Beckman

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 16 Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo Because of Winn-DixieA young girl makes friends in a new town because of the stray dog she finds in the produce ailse of the grocery store, the Winn-Dixie.

The next one has to be an adult book. I read this book in a day.

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 17 Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books Sixpence House Lost in a Town of Books by Paul Collins . A young family moves from San Francisco to a town in Wales called Wye where there are 1500 residents and 40 bookstores. The writers quirky adventures really brings out the foibles of being a bookworm. Sounds like a great place to be.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 18 Knight's fee Knight's fee by Rosemary Sutcliff . This book was OK. I'd reccommend it for a teenager that might like history because it tells of a young boy in midaevil times that is training to be a knight.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 19 Still Life With Murder Still Life With Murder (Gilded Age Mystery, #1) by P.B. Ryan . This is a good book to read while waiting in line somewhere. Not too taxing and a predictable ending.

message 27: by Kathy (last edited May 12, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Just finished No. 20 Letters of E.B. White Letters of E.B. White by E.B. White . This was very interesting to read the thoughts of the author of Charlotte's Web by E.B. White . I did have to read them a little at a time. Not the kind of book to read all at once.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments no. 21 Old World Murder Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1) by Kathleen Ernst . A museum curator in Wisconsin comes across a very rare bowl in a Living History park that people are willing to kill for. I learned some about Norwegian culture in Wisconsin that I didn't know before.

message 29: by Kathy (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:11PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Catching up with those I have finished. No. 22 is Kaaterskill Falls . If you like Chaim Potok then this book is for you because it follows a Jewish community to their summers in the Catskills in NY. Kaaterskill Falls by Allegra Goodman

message 30: by Kathy (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:24PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments I am an armchair traveller this year. My book No.23 is Mountain City Mountain City by Gregory Martin . This is a young man's ordinary life in a small town in Nevada. Some really unique people including Native Americans that most people overlook in their everyday lives.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.24 was one of the best so far this year. Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis by Timothy Egan
This is a biography of Edward Curtis who wrote a magnificent, encyclopedic photographic volumes of the Native Americans of the Southwest, Northwest, California, and Alaska, A must for students of Native Americans.

message 32: by Kathy (last edited Aug 12, 2013 05:08AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 25. Halfway through!

Two young girls; one black, one white, run away from Susannah's uncle's farm in Virginia. She is trying to get back to her home in Vermont while her companion is trying to get to Canada. The story is told as a rememberance told forty-one years later as the black person is dying. A bit trite in places and the ending was a little disappointing. It is an easy read so it might be good for a pre-teen who wants to read about events preceeding the Civil War.Steal Away Steal Away by Jennifer Armstrong

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments I seem to be reading a lot of YA or children's books this year. I'll have to read an adult book next to make up for that.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Corelli's Mandolin Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières The story about Greek islands just after WWII. I just could not get into this book. I read about 25 pages and couldn't go any further. Most people love this book. I may have to revisit it another time. I had to read War and Peace over a couple of times before I could finish it.

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 27 The English Patient. This is such a powerful book about love, passion, and honor.

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 28 Ten Little Indians Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie . A series of short stories where the main character has something to do with Spokane Indians of Washington state. Some really interesting ideas. For example, if no one takes a book out that is in a library to read is it really a book>

message 37: by Kathy (last edited Jul 30, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No 29 The Whipping Boy. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman . This story reminded me of The Prince and the Pauperwith a little bit of a twist. Nicely illustrated

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 30 The Newberry Award winning book Momo Momo by Michael Ende is definitely worth reading. A dystopian society dealing with time theives. Really made me pause to look at my own life. I love it when books do that. This is the same author of the The Neverending Story by Michael Ende whose name is Michael Ende.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No.31 The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz This is a must for all Sherlock Holmes fans. all the characters are there with a twist ending. the story is told more from the Watson doing the action rather than Holmes.

message 40: by Kathy (last edited Sep 16, 2013 04:08AM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments The Book of Fate The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer is the latest to this year's list. I picked it up at a paperback bookstall. It's a little bit Presidential conspiracy with some Freemason cryptology thrown in.

message 41: by Kathy (last edited Oct 14, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 33 The Cellist of Sarajevo The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway . This is not a book that I would normally read but it really gave me insight into people surviving in a war zone. I could really visualize the characters.

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards . This is a psychological study of a couple who keep secrets from each other concerning the birth of their twins. One is a boy and the other is a daughter with Down's Syndrome.

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 35 Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ? I reread this classic for a book club. It has always been one of my favorite stories about a fireman who burns books. theme is the individual rights versus society. a new society is created to overcome the loss of knowledge and wisdom. What book would you become?

message 44: by Kathy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 04:02PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments The Demon Under the Microscope From Battlefield Hospitals to Nazi Labs, One Doctor's Heroic Search for the World's First Miracle Drug by Thomas Hager The Demon Under the Microscope: From Battlefield Hospitals to Nazi Labs, One Doctor's Heroic Search for the World's First Miracle Drug
This is not a book that I would normally read. I thought it was well written and made the discovery of the sulfa drugs and their use between the World Wars. It is amazing how much work goes into the manufacturing of a drug.

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 37 The Griffin and the Minor Canon The Griffin and the Minor Canon by Frank R. Stockton ?
I loved the illustrations of this book by Maurice Sendak. I loved the way that the griffin moves in.

message 46: by Kathy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 04:17PM) (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 38 Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) by Rex Stout Fer-de-Lance. A Nero Wolfe mystery. This book is the style of the film noir of the '30's and 40's. Not my favorite detective but interesting. It is the kind where it is not easy guessing the ending.

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Going Beyond Google Again Strategies for Using and Teaching the Invisible Web by Jane Devine Going Beyond Google Again: Strategies for Using and Teaching the Invisible Web no.39
I read this for work. This book talked about other places on the web you can go for information that most people don't know about.

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 40 Voyage in the Dark Voyage in the Dark by Jean Rhys . this was my least favorite book this year. It was very elementary to read and a little bit like a soap opera. I thought that it would be more descriptive of life in London at the time.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments No. 41 The Valley of Fear The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7) by Arthur Conan Doyle . I liked this one. Classic Sherlock outdoing Inspector Lestrade.

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Jingo Django Jingo Django by Sid Fleischman no. 42. This is a Horatio Alger story of a young boy in the east who finds his fame, fortune, and father by following a stranger. some interesting characters in this book for young adults.

« previous 1