Oprah's Book Club (Official) discussion

General > Share your favorite quotes.

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
Share your favorite quotes on the book page here: Quotes.

Laurens Bookish Life | 23 comments So far I have two favorite quotes other then the ones that Oprah has highlighted. The first is in Six (view spoiler) "He saved me so that I could be here tonight to tell you that if we ask Him, the Lord will make our trbulations and strife fall down just like that wall in Jericho" I loved this and it was so powerful and so true.

The next one is in Ella, which so far has been my favorite chapter " Hattie reached up to the highest shelf and pulled down the box where she kept the tiny Mary Janes and the soft leather lace-ups that Philadelphia and Jubilee had worn a few times thirty - one years earlier" This quote was just so sad to me and reminded me once again of Hattie's pain.

message 3: by Lorrie (new)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 39 comments Thanks for reminding me of that shoe box, Lolly. Those tiny shoes..... I can also remember how the remainder of the children passed the shoes down from one to the other or didn't have any. Those were very special shoes.

message 4: by Monise (new)

Monise (moniselseward) Here's my first one:

"...so she gave them names of promise and of hope, reaching forward names, not looking back ones."

message 5: by Leonardo (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Leonardo Noto (leonardonoto) | 10 comments Oops, thought that this was general quotes, not book specific...never mind (blushing!).

message 6: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn Parada (foodie26) | 9 comments What if he went to the bathroom first and then she followed to wash her face and she smelled his smells? They would be stripped to their odors and sounds and habits.

message 7: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn Parada (foodie26) | 9 comments I know all of her moods and the way they play across her features, but I am still awed at the configuration of lips and eyes and cheeks that make up that face that I love.

message 8: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn Parada (foodie26) | 9 comments Maybe we have only a finite amount of love to give. We’re born with our portion, and if we love and are not loved enough in return, it’s depleted.

message 9: by Tam (new)

Tam (tamcotzias) | 4 comments When Floyd calls Hattie in the middle night and insists he is fine. Hattie's response "Fine doesn't call before dawn"

message 10: by Tam (new)

Tam (tamcotzias) | 4 comments "Six wasn't sure religion was any more then a lot of people caught up in a collective delirium that disappeared the minute they stepped out of the church doors and onto the street"

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey  Mann  | 2 comments "It is said and it is true -
That every close pass by a bulls horns-
Every 'deliberate' close brush with death
Is equivalent to -
One year of normal living"

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

"Dear Lord. Please, dear Lord, help us." pg.17

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

"You got a soul that can't be still. Your mama did too at one time, but she wrestled it down. Yours look like it's running you."

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

this was one of my favorites as well! so profound.

Joselyn wrote: "Maybe we have only a finite amount of love to give. We’re born with our portion, and if we love and are not loved enough in return, it’s depleted."

message 15: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn Parada (foodie26) | 9 comments Vern,

Glad you liked the same quote. Here's another one that came out at me:

She enjoyed herself with him because she had reduced him to a grunting, rutting man, just like any other man. Bell felt a fleeting triumph.

Joselyn

message 16: by Joselyn (new)

Joselyn Parada (foodie26) | 9 comments I have felt as though I were a single note of music, a high C trebling from a singer’s throat, all shimmer and wing beat.

message 17: by Aguedalandia (new)

Aguedalandia | 24 comments I make a point of seeing the sunset. Even if I am on duty, I go on deck to watch the sky darken into twilight. It helps me remember that this strange place is still the earth, and I am still on it.

message 18: by Aguedalandia (new)

Aguedalandia | 24 comments It seemed to him that every time he made one choice in his life, he said no to another. All of those things he could not do or be were huddled inside of him; they might spring up at any moment, and he would be hobbled with regret.

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) "At the very least, a better life ought to mean a child could have something that didn't have any purpose except to make her smile" (pg 80).

message 20: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) "Hattie put all the blame on August. She never for one minute stopped thinking he was the cause of every bad thing that ever was, and he had never stopped hoping that one morning he would wake up and prove her wrong. If she would stop hating him for one day, one hour, he'd have the strength to do the right thing by her" (pg 83).

Laurens Bookish Life | 23 comments "At the time Bell had not recognized this as love. Now, as her mother advanced toward the door to the room, her arm outstreteched as if to turn the knob and enter, she wore the same stern expression. Bell saw the tenderness in it-Hattie's tenderness which was always hard"

"The word would not love them, the world wouldnot be kind"

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Brett | 4 comments I really like that quote too. I know naming a baby is a HUGE personal decision. It was nice to hear the reasoning behind her decision. I thought it also showed the LOVE and HOPE she had for her babies.

message 23: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Brett | 4 comments 1. "...and if miracles aren’t love, well I don't know what love is." - pg. 84 (Six)
Simply stated but very true.

2."'You act like your life was one long January afternoon,' Lawrence said. 'The trees are always barren and there's not a flower on the vine.'" - pg. 93 (Ruthie)
That quote reminded me of Langston Hughes' poem 'A Dream Deferred.' Hattie's life had become one deferred dream...cold, barren (figuratively) and lifeless.

3. "'...and see the soul of her looking out through her eyes.'" pg. 194 (Franklin)
I believe the eyes are the windows to one's soul so that quote really resonated with me.

4. "'My Children died and there's no place darker than that, except maybe another child trying to kill herself.'" pg.244 (Bell)
This explains the deep darkness Hattie carries around with her and perhaps the reasons she was the tupe of mother she was.

5. "August's faith was simple and absolute." pg. 275 (Sala)
There's nothing wrong with 'simple' faith and I'm sure more of us wish our faith were absolute.

6."Hattie put her arm around Sala and pulled her close; she patted her granddaughter's back roughly, unaccustomed as she was to tenderness." pg. 278 (Sala)
What a great ending sentence...Another chance for Hattie to love & try to get it 'right.' It concluded the book with HOPE.

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene | 5 comments My favorite quote right now..."She wished the man outside really were Thomas, so she and Billups could again have the same enemy and the same fear." This stuck with me because it reminds me of a sermon I heard about the three kinds of people you meet. Sometimes the relationship only exist because of a common enemy/fear is the only thing that keeps the relationship going.

message 25: by Shatika (new)

Shatika (luvlivelyfe) | 2 comments "It takes courage to let people out and to lock the door after they're gone but that is also how we remain healthy there are people in each and every one of our lives right now who we have to let out of our lives in order to get to a healthy place if we allow them to stay around they will inhibit us in reaching our goals and dreams"-Hill Harper

message 26: by Lorrie (new)

Lorrie (lorrier) | 39 comments So true! But extremely difficult to do &, maybe even more so, to have done to you.

message 27: by Kim B (new)

Kim B (kysaibar) | 3 comments Monise wrote: "Here's my first one:

"...so she gave them names of promise and of hope, reaching forward names, not looking back ones.""

This was one of my favorites too.

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Moon | 5 comments Lolly wrote: ""At the time Bell had not recognized this as love. Now, as her mother advanced toward the door to the room, her arm outstreteched as if to turn the knob and enter, she wore the same stern expressio..."

My hope would have been that she she would shower them with love and make them feel safe within the family because the outside world would not be so kind. Many women of color and myself included have chosen to make our children aware of the outside world but still provided a safe and loving haven within the household.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Moon | 5 comments Shatika wrote: ""It takes courage to let people out and to lock the door after they're gone but that is also how we remain healthy there are people in each and every one of our lives right now who we have to let o..."

The courage would also be to keep it unlocked for sometimes hard lessons are learned through experience and it would be wonderful to go back home and enter that door to share your epiphanies.

message 30: by Moon Rose (new)

Moon Rose (verhonica_myrrh) | 5 comments Quote: Even now that Floyd was a grown man, there was an understanding between him and his mother, and Hattie was the only person in this world with whom Floyd was serene. He missed her stillness. He was so often sunk in a loud, internal confusion that threatened to overwhelm him.

It is Hattie's stillness evolving from her grief stricken past that Floyd's current internal confusion is trying to tap as he goes through the same process to achieve the same level of peace his mother attained by going through suffering and lost that purify the soul.

message 31: by Davida (new)

Davida | 1 comments Just finished and loved the book! My fav quotes are:
"You would have just disappeared from the earth as if you never were." Hattie to Bell
"I think I can do that, get myself together. I've done it before, though sometimes I think I am just a bleary drunk, and the periods when I am clean and shaved and useful, I am only hiding from myself."
Franklin

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca " We had that pain, Hattie and we'll have this too, but you got to understand it ain't the same thing. Hattie looked at August a long while. No one spoke. Finally, she nodded and he nodded back".

message 33: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Monise wrote: "Here's my first one:

"...so she gave them names of promise and of hope, reaching forward names, not looking back ones.""

This is also my first favorite quote.

message 34: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie "All of those souls, escaped from the South, were at this very moment glowing with promise in the wretched winters of the cities of the North."

I like this quote that describes The Great Migration.

message 35: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie I added this to the Quotes section: "Fine doesn't call before dawn."

This is very true. Whenever the phone rings in the middle of the night, the caller is not fine.

message 36: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie "Hattie didn't know how to be a different kind of mother." ~ pg. 129

This rings true in many chapters and explains the actions of Hattie and eventually her children.

message 37: by Ebonie (new)

Ebonie | 16 comments Chapter: Bell page 217
She didn't know how to tend to her children's souls, but she fought to keep them alive and to keep herself alive.

I think that Hattie did what she knew how to do best, and that is survive and she thought she would give her children the same kind of instincts to make them stronger and that was her way of giving them love.

message 38: by Lory (new)

Lory Sakay | 8 comments "Six understood in that instant that he had something that the ministers wanted, and it had given him power among them."

"In his imagination they were not so much children as they were small docile copies of Hattie"

"It seems to me that everything is on its way to becoming something else, giving itself up in the service of another."

message 39: by Larry (new)

Larry Watson | 5 comments Create In Me A Clean Heart O God.

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Tam wrote: "When Floyd calls Hattie in the middle night and insists he is fine. Hattie's response "Fine doesn't call before dawn""

Tam, that was a good one!

message 41: by Larry (new)

Larry Watson | 5 comments I Must Agree With Tam.

message 42: by OBC (new)

OBC  | 316 comments Mod
Diane D. wrote: "Tam wrote: "When Floyd calls Hattie in the middle night and insists he is fine. Hattie's response "Fine doesn't call before dawn""

Tam, that was a good one!"

This sounds like something every parent can relate to, Tam. You can hear the motherly tone in Hattie's words.

message 43: by Diane (last edited Mar 07, 2013 06:24PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Page 108 (Hattie doing things around the house while waiting for her sister to (view spoiler):

"It was important to do what needed doing no matter the day or the circumstances"

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) "Cranky baby's a hard thing to take. But not as hard to take as a cranky man, I reckon"

I reckon Willie's right!!

message 45: by A. (new)

A. Micheaux (noliacrown) | 3 comments "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

message 46: by EVON R. (new)

EVON R. (ehalladay01) Early to Bed, Early To Rise, Fish like hell make up Lies......

LIVE A GOOD LIFE..cause in the end; it's not the years in a life, but the life in the years.

The Most important things in life, aren't things!!!

message 47: by Naomi (new)

Naomi | 8 comments When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.
- Unknown