The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Did anyone figure out the ending early on?
Nicola Nicola Dec 24, 2012 06:17AM
I read the blurb and after I finished the first chapter, maybe even before that, I guessed what was going to happen. I'm wondering if I'm one of the few who did because everyone else I spoke to about this was completely surprised.

Any thoughts?

I kept thinking that it was going to end in the middle of the sentence. At one point, I was so terrified of such an ending that I had to check the last page for a period. I decided to stop trying to guess then.

Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd) My heart couldn't handle it, but I made myself keep reading so I wouldn't look at the back page. I was almost having trouble breathing those last few ...more
Jan 08, 2013 07:13AM · flag
Nicolette I just finished it right now and I thought John Green clearly did that ending on purpose as what Peter Van Houten stated that the reason he end the "A ...more
Jan 09, 2014 10:47AM · flag

I somehow new someone would die, and the whole time I kind of thought Hazel was the one, it never *once* crossed my mind, that Augustus could die, even when his cancer came back and everything. So complete suprise. and like the other here I always thought it would end in the middle of a sentence...

deleted member Dec 27, 2012 08:32PM   0 votes
I totaly knew how it was going to end, but only because my friends told me b4 I even started reading it.

When Gus said his cancer came back, I got this terrible feeling he wouldn't make it. I cried like a baby.

Koke (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:06AM ) Jan 05, 2013 11:30AM   0 votes
of course i know it but i did expect that hazel diy too some how

I kind of suspected Augustus to die, not Hazel, but nonetheless, his death really punched me in the gut.

I'm also glad that Hazel entered his life a good time before that to help him live his life to the fullest.

The greatest fear I had while reading this book was that it would end in the middle of a sentence.

G Jan 05, 2013 04:54PM   0 votes
On Instagram, I'm following this account that decided to tell the ending of both The Fault in Our Stars and the ending to Looking for Alaska. Upon seeing it I got really upset. This person spoiled the book for me. So I knew the ending. Yet I still cried for two hours straight.

I was actually completely surprised. I was very saddened when Augustus died :(

deleted member Jan 06, 2013 10:08AM   0 votes
To be honest, I knew someone was going to die just from reading the blurb. And with these romance stories I knew that it was going to be the main relationship that was affected... I cried and shouted "I KNEW IT!" when Gus died - it was intense and fairly predictable. It didn't stop it from being one of the best books I have read though :P

I didn't think it would end in the middle of a sentence because I thought that would be too obvious. I know someone had to die though and I knew it would be either Augustus or Hazel. So when Augustus told Hazel about his new diagnosis I figured he would have to die but I didn't want to believe it. They had one of the best relationships ever. It was completely and utterly heartbreaking when Augustus died and his eulogy for Hazel was beautiful. His love for her was so intense (as was her love for him).

I didn't even THINK about (spoiler) Augustus and that maybe his cancer might come back. So no I was so surprised and shocked. The ending was really sad.

I knew someone was going to die, and I had a sneaking suspicion it would be Augustus because killing off Hazel is sort of too easy. Despite knowing it was going to come, it was still the most tragic thing I have read in a very long time.

It was the first John Green book I had read. So, went I first read what the book is about I thought to myself with a smug face "I bet the guy still has cancer, I just know it." I dismissed this idea of course has I continued to read the book, and when that part came, I just lost it. I've never been so sad about character before.

No I had no idea but it was so sad. I guess the world isn't a wish-granting factory

I had a guess from the beginning, but I didnt think that would actually happen. I'm very good at guessing the ending of books and movies.

Aubrey (last edited Dec 26, 2012 05:33AM ) Dec 26, 2012 05:32AM   0 votes
I knew that Augustus will die but not on the earlier part of the story. I mean, I thought it will just end with him dying and the ending will just be his last words which I find very horrible. Torture, for me, I might say. I'm kinda glad that John Green continues it. But still, the ending was very depressing.

C Dec 26, 2012 09:41AM   0 votes
Yes. The ending is completely predictable but I still liked the book very much. :)

I'm the kind of person that reads the last sentence before I even start the book, so the first thing I read was "I do, Augustus. I do." I think this kind of made me think that he was going to survive, but when he told his mom "It's my life!" I knew he wouldn't make it. :(

I thought it was just another cliche stories yet John Green went beyond my expectations. i thought Hazel Grace would die in the end yet it was Augustus and it felt like he took a part of me when he died. :)

I had an idea around the time when he was shouting at his mother saying that it's his life

I did not know who was going to die at the end. It was a sad book. It made me weep throughout both for Hazel and Augustus and everyone else who succumbed to cancer.

I was completely surprised. Looking back, I see all the signs (how Augustus always hung up first, how his movie started first on the plane, etc.) but while reading it I never saw his death coming.

I didn't think Hazel would die. So when Augustus's cancer came back I wasn't necessarily surprised, but nevertheless I have never cried harder at the death of a fictional character.

I cried for about the last 40 minutes of reading. I loved the book a lot more than I thought I would.

I knew someone would die, but for some reason I didn't even think it would be Augustus until his cancer came back, and then I knew. And then I cried for the rest of the time it took me to finish the book. But knowing that he would die didn't ruin it for me, it just showed how much they really loved each other, especially Hazel always standing by him. I don't think that predictability has to ruin the heart of a story.

I think I figured it out when he mentioned that he had saved his wish. Seemed a little too convenient.

There was a point early in the book that Hazel used the phrase "that boy." I knew at that moment he was going to die. Too bad....

It is a YA book, after all....I knew from the beginning that Augustus would be the one to die. This didn't diminish my enjoyment of the novel, nonetheless.