Rookie Readers! discussion

Book Discussions > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Ruiz (annaruiz) | 47 comments Mod
This seems like it's going to be a lot of fun! We could even finallize by watching the movie and posting whether we think it did the book justice, or was too good for the book (which rarely happens, but is always a possibility.)

message 2: by Ana (new)

I just finished it! I think that, unlike many people, I enjoyed the ending more so than the rest of the book.

Things I liked about The Perks of Being a Wallflower included its refreshing honesty (which didn't even seem forced, like it does at times, just natural because it's just the way things are), especially in terms of drugs and sex and alcohol, etc.

Things I didn't like about The Perks of Being a Wallflower (and this is somewhat silly) is that I felt throughout the book that Tumblr is full of images of this book, and all the young hipsters are raving about it, yet I feel like it's all a farce (similar to Weetzie Bat) because, oh, of course the hipsters will like a book about hipsters! People that like to read and like obscure music and obscure films and like to talk about feminism or politics even though we're still young and know little about the topics and people that will dress how they like and give a shit if anyone understands. I'm not at all against this, but it makes me skeptical of whether this book is popular because of it's merit or because hipsters delight in reading about other hipsters! (And it's hard to acquire that type of literature.)

Because, yes, I thought that The Perks of Being a Wallflower was good, I liked how realistic it felt, and I really enjoyed it, but I doubt that it's got enough merit to be the great phenomenon that it has become. I'm saying this because I understood all of the others (Harry Potter, Twilight, The Fault in our Stars, Hunger Games), but I would say that this book marked a before and after in my life.

message 3: by Ana (new)

I wrote what I did because I would like people to respond with why The Perks of Being a Wallflower does in fact feel amazing for them, I'm piqued! :)

message 4: by Areena (new)

Areena (angareena) I honestly didn't like the book that much. I found that there was something missing in it and eventhough it was honest and all, I didn't connect with the book emotionally in any way.

message 5: by Tasya (new)

Tasya | 1 comments The last time I read this book was about a year ago. But from what I can remember is that I definitely felt something, some sort of connection with this book. The first time I read it I loved it and was automatically my favourite. The second time though, I felt less connected.

I think it's suitable for teenagers in their high school years, if I have to generalise. Because that was when I felt like I had someone who understood me and was going through something that I was too.

Charlie and the other characters weren't like other characters from other books, that's why it was so special to me (this was before I discovered the marvelous John Green). They were normal. They were lovable. I felt like I was a part of their circle of group. And it was written in first person so the experience, I thought, was intimate and personal.

However, if you ask me now.. I would say that it is an okay-book. I'm not crazy about it but I don't hate it either.

I haven't seen the film though! I've heard mixed reviews about it.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Tasya wrote: "The last time I read this book was about a year ago. But from what I can remember is that I definitely felt something, some sort of connection with this book. The first time I read it I loved it an..."

Maybe that's the problem! Anything pales next to John Green...

message 7: by Callie (new)

Callie Summerlin | 1 comments I loved the Perks of Being a Wallflower! I read it a while ago, before the hipsters got ahold of all the quotes, so everything he said just kind of resonated and didn't feel cheesy at all. I related to Charlie, and his relationship with his siblings, and his shyness and innocence and all of it. I saw the movie, too, and I still think the book is better. The movie didn't catch Charlie's relationship with his brother and sister much.
I was kind of upset when I saw some of my favorite Perks quotes used by hipsters, because it kind of takes away the sincerity and seriousness of them and made them cheesy phrases instead. When these kinds of books and quotes are used too often, they kind of lose their meaning, you know?

message 8: by Christie (new)

Christie | 5 comments Ok so first of all I'm not a teenage girl anymore (I'm 24) but I do read Rookie so I guess that means I'm in. I read this book when I was still in high school and it hit me and stuck with me. I've read at least once a year ever since and it gets better every time. I know that it's kind of cheesy but the "I felt infinite" scene will always be really special to me just because with a few simple words it's able to encapsulate everything that it means to be young and alive. Just a song on the radio and city lights and driving at night with your friends and those first tastes of freedom. I don't know who has seen the movie but I had VERY high expectations for it, especially that scene. It doesn't happen often but I loved the movie just as much as the book. Of course, it left out things that were in the book but all of those feelings were still there. I would definitely recommend both the book and the movie to anyone, teenager or not. I'm really excited to discuss with everyone who's reading the book for the first time!

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (ke_schultz) | 6 comments I didn't like the beginning all that much, but I thought it got progressively better. I'd been wanting to read it for a few years, so I'm glad I finally did! By the end, there were some parts that really resonated with me. I'd give it like a 3.5/5. I thought it was good, but it's not really a new favorite or anything. I haven't seen the movie yet.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I don't think it's so unique and amazing as many paint it, but I liked it. I found it honest, the way the author and all his readers fall between the thoughts of a young boy. And I also liked the fact that, in the ends, this is a little story. I mean, doesn't happen too much, except for the end, and that's okay. Sometimes one can want to read a book when many things happen, sometimes not. If you think, this could be the story of many young boys plus the personal touch of the Charlie's story.

message 11: by Appoline (new)

Appoline | 13 comments Mod
I don't really know what to write about this book because everything i want to say has been perfectly said by Christie. I love love love this book, and I love Charlie. How could you not? it was love at first sight: "I just need to know that someone out there listen and understand and doesn't try to sleep with people even if they could have" (p.1) ( don't say hipster)
I'm also always surprised when people say that Charlie is an ordinary teenager; obviously I think Charlie is a believable teenager, and in many ways an common teenager, but he is also SO MUCH MORE. He is a hero.
I recommend the movie, although I disliked some aspects,e.g they used the "iconic" quotes exactly like they are phrased in the book and they put them in the movie, it felt a bit fake to me (whereas in the book Charlie is more than genuine), but I could not not like the movie, if that makes any sense.

message 12: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle I have very mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, there are scenes and characters and quotes that are really poignant and beautiful and it is honest. But on the other hand, I hated the ending, and it seemed that everything that could go wrong in the caracters lives did. I think maybe the book would have been more emotionally intense and easy to connect with if there was just less trouble and drama. It almost becomes a commonplace thing in these characters lives. Maybe I've just had a suprisingly good life and I'm being insensitive, but good lord. I really liked Charlie's sister, and Patrick. Anyway, overall this book is about 3 stars for me, 4 in some parts, 5 in others. It's definitly a book that gives people a lot to talk and think about, and that's always good.

message 13: by Appoline (new)

Appoline | 13 comments Mod
I've already declared my love for the book but I totally understand what Gabrielle said: "I hated the ending, and it seemed that everything that could go wrong in the caracters lives did". It comes out of nowhere. I like the book to much, I pretend the ending never happened.

message 14: by Christie (new)

Christie | 5 comments Amanda, I also wasn't so sure about Emma Watson as Sam either. I felt like I would just always associate her with Hermione and that would be that. I think she did a really great job though and the movie really does capture the essence and youthfulness of the book. If you liked the book even a little bit I would recommend the movie which is now out on DVD!! I just felt like an advertisement for a second. Also I completely agree that "the prose is what makes this book beautiful, not the action." I can understand that the things that happen in the book are fairly ordinary but it's totally the descriptions that kind of make you nostalgic for a place you didn't grow up in and characters that you never knew and never will b/c they're fictional. I could talk for hours about this book so I'll stop now.