Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice question

Does anybody have any recommendations for teen historical fiction set pre 1900?
Eugenia (Genie In A Book) Eugenia (Genie In A Book) Dec 23, 2012 11:10PM
Hi, I'm looking for some new historical fiction to read that is suitable for teenagers? Anything Australian or set before 1900?

There's also Louisa Alcott's books from that time period: Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, and others.

Then there's Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series, again from the time period.

I also recommend Shelly Adima's Lady of Devices series for steampunk fun.

I loved Jean Plaidy books when I was in high school. Most of her books are first person accounts of royalty. It has the added bonus of teaching some rudimentary history as well.

Sarah Bishop, by Scott O'Dell
A Break with Charity, by Ann Rinaldi
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte all the way. Aside from being the best piece of English Gothic literature, the protagonist is the heroine for all of the modern characters who play an active role in the action of the story. Miss Bronte only needed to write one book to crown herself queen of this genre of literature.

How about the 1400's? SISTER RAVEN takes place in the historical setting of Pre-Columbian Native New England. It's not the retelling of a traditional story or legend, but an original fantasy based on the lore of the time. It's also a free Kindle download today an tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Sister-Raven-eb...

If you're interested in the topic of Native America, I also recommend a short non-fiction piece about Native American perspectives in Children's literature. I found it's important to be aware and responsible about how students are exposed to the culture.

http://www.amazon.com/Yours-Mine-Ours...

Great question. Good luck!

Karen Levine Dealing with Native America:
The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrick
Winter People by Joseph Bruchac

Dec 30, 2012 01:06PM

I suggest Emma by Jane Austen or Little Women by Louisa Alcott. I think Huckleberry Finn is also fun to read.

Georgette Heyer, Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt (Jean Plaidy's other pseudonym) were my favourite reads as a teenager.

Stephen (last edited Dec 30, 2012 02:07AM ) Dec 28, 2012 08:16AM   0 votes
Nothing suggests Australia and Historical Fiction to me more than The Thorn Birds but it's not really intended for teen audiences.

Something that MIGHT qualify is Old Magic. It is a teen read. It's set in Australia and they do go back in time so part of it at least qualifies as historical fiction.

Picnic at Hanging Rock might qualify as well. Not specifically a teen read, it does involve a class of girls from a girls' school in February 1900 in Australia.

Suggest that you check out the Listopia list
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/47...

It's a great way to see a broad perspective of youth centered historical fiction

Finally, I'd suggest that you also post a recommendation request in the Recommendations section of GoodReads. It may get seen by people more into suggesting books based on certain criteria than a posting here would get.

Eugenia wrote: "Hi, I'm looking for some new historical fiction to read that is suitable for teenagers? Anything Australian or set before 1900?"

I write a time-travel romance series back to the American Civil War and the 3rd book involves a New Zealander falling back in time :) Clean reads and the first book's free for download everywhere. I'm a little bit obsessed with that era, so it's chalk full of history...

The Bride Price

I am re-reading Beatrice Coogan's "The Big Wind" at the moment. I first read it as a teenager and enjoyed it very much. It is set in the period before and during the Irish famine -- a time when many Irish people emigrated to Australia.

I was jane austen's best friend is a good book too.

johnny tremaine was a favorite of mine also the entire "and we were there series:" we're favorites growing up, it depends really on what sort of history interests you which region and what perspective?

Wuthering Heighs, The Scarlett Letter or The Crucible. The last one was written in 1953 but it takes place in 1692. The tree of them are really good if you ask me.

All of Jane Austen & Georgette Heyer's books - just loved them. Also - "A Tale of Two Cities", The Scarlet Pimpernel", "The Diary of Anne Frank", "The Kite Runner", "The Help", "All-of-a-Kind-Family" series of books. Hmmm - this is making me want to go back & read them myself!!

"The Infernal Devices" by Cassandra Clare is set in the 1800's. It is Young Adult fantasy, and it is amazing. I really recommend it! :)

Gone With the Wind

Nothing Australian, but here are some favorite YA historical fictions before 1900: A Proud Taste of Scarlett and Miniver (a VERY unusual biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine), My Name is Not Angelica by Scott O'Dell (slave uprising in the Caribbean), The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman (middle ages), Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier (1600s Holland, not YA but still perfect for teens), Fever by Laurie Halse Anderson (Philadelphia 1790s). Also, this is around 1904, but A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly is my favorite YA book of all time. It takes place in the Upstate New York.

Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

Alexandra (last edited Jan 27, 2013 04:39AM ) Jan 27, 2013 04:40AM   0 votes
Yes, I would strongly concur with Verity's recommendation of Rosemary Sutcliff. She is consistently brilliant - she wrote both for children & for teens. The Lantern Bearers is my favourite.

Of earlier writers, I would agree with Orczy Emmuska Baroness and Louisa May Alcott.

A modern writer with a good medieval setting is Catherine Jinks.

Stéphanie (last edited Dec 27, 2012 04:18AM ) Dec 27, 2012 04:17AM   0 votes
The book My name is Memory from ann brasheres plays partially in the past. Also the ruby red trilogy from kerstin gier is a very good trilogy that also plays partially in the past.
I also really like the book called the measures of a lady by Deeanne Gist. And candle it the darkness from lynn austin.

these are books that all have parts from the time that you like

deleted member (last edited Dec 25, 2012 01:56PM ) Dec 25, 2012 01:47PM   0 votes
Some of my favorites:

Johnny Tremain, by Ester Forbes.

Early Thunder, by Jean Fritz.

The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Emmuska Orczy.

And Rosemary Sutcliff's books are also good, my favorite is The Eagle of the Ninth.

The Cat Royal Adventure Series, by Julia Golding might be of interest, but after a while they all start sounding the same.

Oh yes, Scott O'Dell is also a good author, The King's Fifth was my favorite.

Torrie. For that matter, everything in the "Little House" series from By the Shores of Silver Lake to the end is more for teenagers than kids. I especially recommend The Long Winter.

Pretty much anything by Ann Rinaldi. I highly recommend Wolf By the Ears but all her others are very good and she is quite prolific.

Karen Levine I'm afraid one of Ann Rinaldi's books came under quite a weighty attack because of her portrayal of Native Americans. When Scholastic re-released the ...more
Dec 30, 2012 12:50PM · flag

I would reccomend the Tilly trotter series by Catherine Cookson, for a good lit book, non fiction the Horrible histories series cant go wrong !

I suggest you try Sharon Kay Penman, who writes historical fiction about the Middle Ages (about real events, and well-documented), also Thomas Costain, whose settings are in several historical eras.

Have you read other Jane Austen books? I really like Sense & Sensibility almost as much as I enjoyed Pride & Prejudice.

Set at the begining of the settlement of Australia, considered now a classic. Not sure if it is on here, but it was reprinted in 2002

The Timeless Land, Eleanor Dark. Introduction by Barbara Brooks and Humphrey McQueen. Pymble, N. S. W. HarperCollins Publishers Australia. 2002. ISBN 0-207-19877-2

A great and terrible beauty, and there are two books after that, possibly more, in a series of the protagonist.