SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Challenges > Brothers Grimm

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Dec 23, 2012 11:03PM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Carolien has come up with a new challenge celebrating the 200 year anniversary of the fairy tales by the brothers Grimm.
The starting date of this challenge will probably be around 1 February 2013.
But before we can start we have a couple of things to sort out.
The tasks we will be reading will have to be based on the fairytales themselves. There are however over 200 of them. So which are we going to use? Well that is entirely up to you. The coming 2 weeks you can nominate your 5 favorites. Then I will post the favorites list and depending on how the votes have been we will use the top 5-10 for tasks.
We will then have two weeks to come up with tasks that correspond with the tasks and then we can start reading.
As I am sure no one knows the entire list to choose from by heart and since we only want fairytales by the brothers Grimm, there is a list on this website: http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_...

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
My 5:

Snow-white
Rapunzel
Sleeping beauty
Hansel and Grethel
Cinderella (Aschenputtel)

message 3: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Wow,can we make a bonus task to include reading all of them? I didn't realise how many I do not even know.

My list is

The Golden Goose
Little Red Cap
Rapunzel
Tom Thumb
Rumpelstiltskin

message 4: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2256 comments Mod
That's a brilliant idea. I've also realised how many I don't know or just forgot about.

message 5: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments My list

Rumpelstiltskin
Hansel and Grethel
Cinderella
The Goose Girl
Snow-White

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh bugger, I forgot about this! Will try and make a list today.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

@Riana: I'll do some research and let you know.

@Lauren: don't worry . You still have plenty of time. I still haven't made my own list. So you still have time. :)

message 8: by Carolien (new)

It's been so chaotic with the house move that I finally grabbed my daughter's fairy tale book tonight to get the list done. Here goes:

The golden goose
The goose girl
The six swans
The frog prince
Rapunzel

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Riana wrote: "Hansel and Grethel
Rapunzel
Rumpelstiltskin
The princess and the pea*
Beauty and the Beast*

The last 2 I could not find on the list of Barbara's link, maybe it has some other name, or I overloo..."

Hey Riana, I did some research and on which sites did you check, because the list I gave is sort of the definitive list of all the stories published by the Brothers Grimm. Also when I did my researh I discovered that The Princess and the Pea is a Hans Christian Anderson story and The Beauty and the beast was first published in France and also isn't a Brothers Grimm Story. So although both are terrific stories they aren't eligble for this challenge. Please pick two others.

message 10: by Varla Fiona (new)

Oh, I missed The FROG Prince. Love that one too

message 11: by Barbara (new)

I thought I didn't know that many and then I realised that I was looking at the English list but since I read most of them as a child I should take a look at the list in Dutch and then I knew more than I realised and it became very hard to choose only 5. But here they are:

Six Swans
The Wolf and the seven little goats
The three Spinners
The Wishing table, the gold ass and the cudgel in the sack
Rumpelstiltskin

message 12: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments After I started watching the tv series Grimm recently, I realised how few of these stories I actually know. Here's my list:

Rumpelstiltskin
Rapunzel
Hansel and Gretel
Little Red Cap
Cinderella

message 13: by Varla Fiona (new)

Yeah, I've been enjoying the series too.

message 14: by Barbara (new)

That series starts tonight here in the Netherlands. I am still a bit oldfashioned and still watch series on tv. I can't wait to see it. Same as American horror story which also starts tonight.

message 15: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I have been enjoying Once Upon a Time which shows a lot of fairytales. Love it!

message 16: by Barbara (last edited Jan 03, 2013 10:33AM) (new)

I love the idea, but I have seen 6 episodes of it and I am not impressed. I think the serie misses something that makes it for adults. It feels like something for children. Also the scenes set in fairyland where you can just see that they have been acting in front of a green screen very annoying.

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Heheh it gets better :)

message 18: by Varla Fiona (new)

I much prefer Grimm to Once Upon a Time

message 19: by Barbara (last edited Jan 03, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

@ Lu: I was thinking on giving up on that series, but after your endorsement I will give it a couple more episodes. :)

message 20: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments Barbara wrote: "Riana wrote: "Hansel and Grethel
Rapunzel
Rumpelstiltskin
The princess and the pea*
Beauty and the Beast*

The last 2 I could not find on the list of Barbara's link, maybe it has some other name..."

Thank you for the feedback! I stumbled onto a site (will see if I can find it in my history on my work pc tomorrow) that had a Brother Grimm book link on the site, so you clicked and paged through it like a book and it contained those tales, however, I am always a bit wary of some sites, somehow you can just tell when to question the credibility of a site, hence why I wanted to check with you guys first! Anyway, I will have my new picks ready by tomorrow!

message 21: by Carolien (new)

Barbara wrote: "I thought I didn't know that many and then I realised that I was looking at the English list but since I read most of them as a child I should take a look at the list in Dutch and then I knew more ..."

I also love the 7 goats. Didn't know the 3 spinners, so quickly read it. It's such a nice one as well.

message 22: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments I got my info here: http://www.yankeeweb.com/library/stor..., but like I said, it does look a bit dodgy!

message 23: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments My new votes:

Hansel and Grethel
Rapunzel
Rumpelstiltskin
Sleeping beauty
Cinderella (Aschenputtel)

message 24: by Barbara (new)

@ Carolien: Thanks! I was talking with my mum about this challenge and she told me that as a little child the 7 goats was the story that got me most wound up. We used to have a tape with the stories on it and there was a tv series that had that story in it and everytime I heard or saw it I apparently was yelling at the goat in the clock to stay hidden and at the mum goat to look in the clock. So naturally I had to include it in my list. :)

@Riana: I looked at the list and it looks to me like some random person made it. That is the internet for you. Good luck picking two new ones. I had a hard time because there are so many great stories.

message 25: by Sharle (new)

Sharle (mizzkruger) | 110 comments Just for interest's sake, according to Wikipedia (which in itself is not always reliable, I know) the Brothers Grimm had a version of The Princess and the Pea which was omitted from later publications of their work after they discovered it belonged to a Danish literary tradition.

message 26: by Claudia (last edited Jan 03, 2013 11:16PM) (new)

message 27: by Barbara (new)

Claudia wrote: "The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids
Little Red Riding Hood
Town Musicians of Bremen
The Three Spinners
The Golden Goose

Is The Emperor's New Clothes a Grimm fairy tale?"

No, that is by Hans Christian Anderson.

message 28: by Carolien (new)

Claudia wrote: "The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids
Little Red Riding Hood
Town Musicians of Bremen
The Three Spinners
The Golden Goose

Is The Emperor's New Clothes a Grimm fairy tale?"

Glad somebody remembered the Bremen musicians. It's another classic!

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Lauren do you still want to nominate something, because I want to get the list together. So if you do please do so tonight or tomorrow.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm willing to forgo my nominations. I hopelessly indecisive. Choosing 5 stories out of 200 (or even out of the 50 or so stories in my Grimm anthology) is like asking me to write 5 fairy tales.

message 31: by Varla Fiona (new)

Barbara, I know you have been sick, but I was wondering if you had put the list together for this yet? We originally said we would start 1 Feb, if I remember rightly. I suggest we change that date...