The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > JACK REACHER vs JOHN PULLER JR.

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Hey Reacher fans (like me), i'm reading zero days featuring John Puller... john seems cooler! what you thnk?

message 2: by Garbageman (new)

Garbageman | 3 comments I don't necessarily think of one or the other as cooler. They both get the job done. The genre of spy / ex military problem solver as presented by Child, Flynn, Thor, or Baldacci present characters that have the ability to solve problems and make decisions that American leaders seem to be lacking today. To be honest the characters in these novels are almost interchangeable.

message 3: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments hehehe yea... i agree with that! the four authors (and others) are good entertainers and eye openers :0

message 4: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Read THE JUDAS LIST and find Koski and Falk, two roving Black Op's agents. Let us know what you think.

A,G,

message 5: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments ill definitely put that on my next reading list! thanks...looks very interesting...

message 6: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Koski and Falk first met and joined forces in WHO'S KILLING ALL THE LAWYERS. I understand they are heading to Hollywood in another political thriller-IMMINENT DANGER,

message 7: by Tay (new)

Tay | 261 comments nah, I still like Reacher better.

message 8: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments why though? is it because he is the original :)

message 9: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 239 comments You have to admit that those are daft names!

If I do a similar book, my action hero will be called Jack McJack!

message 10: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments R.M.F wrote: "You have to admit that those are daft names!

If I do a similar book, my action hero will be called Jack McJack!"

really? mcjack! FUNNY name.. i wonder if there are indeed pullers and reachers out there playing heroes...

message 11: by Mira (new)

Mira (mirarad) Reacher hands down. I read Zero Day when it first came out (huge Baldacci fan) and first thought was 'hey this is a rigid Reacher'. I like Reacher because he is unconventional, unorthodox. I found Reacher's beating up of people far more interesting :D. Is that bad? Haven't read the second Puller book yet. First time I haven't bought a Baldacci book the minute it hit the shelves.

message 12: by Dons (new)

Dons | 14 comments Mira wrote: "Reacher hands down. I read Zero Day when it first came out (huge Baldacci fan) and first thought was 'hey this is a rigid Reacher'. I like Reacher because he is unconventional, unorthodox. I found ..."

Reacher is bad and puller is too goody? hahaha... yea still both are interesting enough for me though. The Forgotten (2nd puller) is cool too but a little predictable for me. But ill continue to read both jack and john!

Agatha Christie should make a female version of puller and reacher LOL!

message 13: by A.G. (new)

A.G. (rockinghorse) | 75 comments Has anyone read a Koski and Falk book Yet. There are two out there, 'Who's Killing All The Lawyers' - 'The Judas List.' and a third due out late this summer. 'Imminent Danger.' I look forward to your comments. Check Amazon Books for details.
Thanks,'
A.G.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I would say Reacher hands down. Only read one of the Puller books. Wasn't that great. I'm starting the series from the beginning. Reading Die Trying Now.

message 15: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 161 comments I like both, although have only read one Puller book so far. There are enough differences as well as some similarities.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark Chisnell (markchisnell) | 136 comments My vote's for Reacher - the original and still the best... :-)

message 17: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2311 comments Mark wrote: "My vote's for Reacher - the original and still the best... :-)"

I second that. Zero Day is good, but Puller came across a little too much like a Reacher wannabe. Had Baldacci made him even just a little more different from Reacher, I think I would have liked the book and character better.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark Chisnell (markchisnell) | 136 comments Dave wrote: "Zero Day is good, but Puller came across a little too much like a Reacher wannabe. Had Baldacci made h..."

Exactly :-)

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark Dawson | 4 comments R.M.F wrote: "You have to admit that those are daft names!

If I do a similar book, my action hero will be called Jack McJack!"

That's good... It's fair to say that Jack is a popular name (it's been number 1 in the UK for years) but there does seem to be a disproportionate number of heroes with the same name.

Perhaps we should go off piste a little. How about Nigel? Or Clive?

message 20: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments In the latest Reacher novel, Never Go Back, one of the bad guys is named David Baldacci. LOL!

message 21: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments I read the Reacher novels out of sequence so I can't be sure, but it seems like, as he gets older, he also gets further from more conventional behavior. He is more apt to beat someone up because they deserve it or to kill someone because if he doesn't the law will let him go or never catch him.

message 22: by N (new)

N | 304 comments The middle Reacher books 22-15 say were a bit samey samey but the first lot and these last couple have been top notch! I seriously have a fictional character crush on Mr Jack mmmmmm *not Tiny Tom's made for TV disaster movie version. mmmmm Jack. I think the British Author softens the 'All American Hero' schmaltz and puts a James Bond type of dry humour to the books that some of the others lack. Oh and did I say Mmmmmmm Jack. l

message 23: by N (new)

N | 304 comments 12-15 damn thumbs!

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Chisnell (markchisnell) | 136 comments Allen wrote: "In the latest Reacher novel, Never Go Back, one of the bad guys is named David Baldacci. LOL!"

Nice - great sense of humour!

message 25: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2311 comments A bit off-topic, but I've noticed books by Michael Connelly giving a 'shout out' to James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series by have a character wearing a shirt (if I recall correctly) bearing the name of the fishing business Dave ran in several of the books.

Seems like a nice way for an author to give a nod toward his or her fellow writers.

message 26: by Mimelo (new)

Mimelo | 1 comments Just finished all of the Reacher novels, so I now I need a fix until Personal comes out. Thinking about giving the Puller series a try...

message 27: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments Well the Puller books are good. Most of Baldacci's books are worth reading. Actually, I was reading his earlier books before I ever read a Lee Child Reacher book. When I read the first Puller book I immediately thought of Reacher and that it seemed Puller was a copy and I wondered how that would set with Lee Child.

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom Knable | 21 comments Jim wrote: "I don't necessarily think of one or the other as cooler. They both get the job done. The genre of spy / ex military problem solver as presented by Child, Flynn, Thor, or Baldacci present characters..."

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom Knable | 21 comments I enjoyed all of the puller books. I only wish there were more.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Gray I've got all the Reacher books and have read them all a few times ... love the guy! Just starting Zero Day now so I'm excited to see how Puller will do in comparison. I remember the David Baldacci in Never Go Back but hadn't made the connection .. funny! Personal is ok, but in my opinion not one of the better Reacher stories. It's also the first one that he didn't sleep with the female lead LOL

message 31: by Tom (new)

Tom Knable | 21 comments Dons wrote: "Hey Reacher fans (like me), i'm reading zero days featuring John Puller... john seems cooler! what you thnk?"

Great Book. Looking forward to more Puller.

message 32: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments I think this discussion goes round in circles. Briefly, I think Puller might be telling Reacher, "No, you can't do that." and Reacher might reply, "Just watch me." There are some really bad and really good Reacher books and some in between. To date there are only three Puller novels. I've read two and liked both so overall it's hard to compare the two characters. I like Reacher and I like Puller. I like Baldacci and I like Child. I like to read.

message 33: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Not much difference between Reacher and Puller, but Jack is wearing thin.... I'm worried that Baldacci is running out of ideas, though.

message 34: by Dwerle (new)

Dwerle | 2 comments I have treasured the Reacher novels and I am now discovering David Baldacci with the John Puller series. Both tuff guys do their job well, but Puller just might be storied with a better pen. As much as I respect Lee Child, you must admit that he is rather a one trick pony. Baldacci uses Puller as just one of his main characters with a very long list of credits on his literary path. Thanks to both authors for all of the hours of fun.

message 35: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments Dwerle wrote: "I have treasured the Reacher novels and I am now discovering David Baldacci with the John Puller series. Both tuff guys do their job well, but Puller just might be storied with a better pen. As muc..."

I like both authors; how they write, the stories they tell. I would hardly call Lee Child a "one trick pony" author any more than I am not a "one trick pony" reader. I read Lee Child novels, David Baldacci novels, Frederick Forsyth novels, C. J. Box novels, Cormac McCarthy novels, etc. etc. I started keeping a database of books read and there are 482 different authors on my list right now. Of course some are better writers than others. When I find one I like I tend to read more of that author's books.

message 36: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 771 comments I like John better than Jack. Jack seems to sleep with every woman he barely meets. He is more like a womanizer. I can't stand it. I like how John actually turns down the women knowing what they want.

message 37: by Allen (new)

Allen (around) | 9 comments Jannene wrote: "I like John better than Jack. Jack seems to sleep with every woman he barely meets. He is more like a womanizer. I can't stand it. I like how John actually turns down the women knowing what they want."

How do you know John knows what they want? How many Jack Reacher novels have you read? How can you barely meet someone? Is that like being barely pregnant?

message 38: by Dwerle (new)

Dwerle | 2 comments Allen wrote: "Dwerle wrote: "I have treasured the Reacher novels and I am now discovering David Baldacci with the John Puller series. Both tuff guys do their job well, but Puller just might be storied with a bet..."

In this case I was referring to star characters. Lee Child has Reacher while Baldacci has multiple series.

message 39: by Craig (new)

Craig Wickmann | 58 comments Allen wrote: "In the latest Reacher novel, Never Go Back, one of the bad guys is named David Baldacci. LOL!"

I was at a Baldacci book signing last year and someone asked D.B. about that. Turns out that Child is mad at Baldacci because he thinks that Baldacci stole his character, so Child made a bad guy named David Baldacci and killed him. I guess that's better than doing it in real life. Btw, Baldacci defended his Puller character by pointing out the differences in the men.

message 40: by Josh (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:43AM) (new)

Josh Turner | 5 comments Craig wrote: "Allen wrote: "In the latest Reacher novel, Never Go Back, one of the bad guys is named David Baldacci. LOL!"

I was at a Baldacci book signing last year and someone asked D.B. about that. Turns out..."

Pointing out the differences in a character you modeled YOUR character after is like plagiarizing a book report, and then pointing out the words you changed to make it your own.

I'm reading ZERO DAY, which is pretty much 61 Hours. I like it, and I like the character, but I can't pretend he's not Jack Reacher, with a few changed details.

Even though I enjoyed the Jack Reacher Movie (and it was before I ever read the books), Tom is no Reacher. His size is almost another character in the books, and Tom can't portray it. Plus, some of the best aspects of the Reacher stories is the thought process/ deduction/ monologue he does in his head explaining things. The movies can't really portray that. I'd love to see more Reacher books as movies, but I don't know how to capture that. I think Jim Caviezel could play an accurate Reacher.

message 41: by Patrick (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:05AM) (new)

Patrick  (volmann) | 42 comments Craig wrote: "Allen wrote: "In the latest Reacher novel, Never Go Back, one of the bad guys is named David Baldacci. LOL!"

I was at a Baldacci book signing last year and someone asked D.B. about that. Turns out..."

Which Reacher novel? I must have missed that one, unless of course it's in the soon to be latest and greatest....thanks. Just found it...Never go Back!

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) I too enjoyed the Reacher movie but agree that Cruise, altho I think he did the best he could, is no Reacher & I also agree that Caviezel woulda made a great Reacher. But I've heard that there prob. won't be any more Reacher movies made; supposedly they polled audiences after they saw the movie (& I guess it must've been on the weekends, lol) & they said stuff along the lines of it was okay but they wondered who that "old guy" was playing Reacher. (And the book the movie was based on, IIRC, Reacher was in his early 30s; I think Cruise was about 49 when they filmed it so that didn't help the movie do well with the younger audiences either.)

message 43: by Josh (new)

Josh Turner | 5 comments Childs said there was another movie, and that Tom was in it again. I think it was the interview he did with Stephen King.

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (officerripley) Wow, I hadn't heard that. Well, I'll give it a try anyway.

message 45: by Patrick (new)

Patrick  (volmann) | 42 comments Agreed, T.C. as Reacher? Really? No way....Reacher could bench press old Tom 68 times (and owe you one) ;> The latest film premiers this fall, w/ T.C. yet again. I was skeptical with Top Gunner at first, but I thought he nailed it. The barroom scene set the tone.
He is simply too well known to take seriously as JR but I will give old Tom a pass this time. Maybe old Mel or possibly older Arnold...nay.

message 46: by Reacherfan (last edited Mar 09, 2016 05:14PM) (new)

Reacherfan | 84 comments When Lee Child defined Reacher, he looked a lot like Lee Child, very tall, blond, bigger than Child and more muscular, with a prominent brow ridge. Like a hybrid of Child and Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

Aside from the hair color, I always thought the guy playing Walt Longmire, Australian Robert Taylor, was about right for the later books. Jim Caviezel for the younger years and Liev Schreiber for the middle ones. All have dark hair but the right build, presence, and voice. Cruise tried, he really did, but Reacher he ain't. It was painful to watch.

And yeah, Puller is a rip off of Reacher with a bit of Bob Lee Swagger thrown in.

message 47: by Josh (new)

Josh Turner | 5 comments And I believe that Alex Delaware is a rip off of Alex Cross.

message 48: by William (new)

William Davis | 132 comments Delaware came before Cross.

message 49: by Josh (new)

Josh Turner | 5 comments I see that now. Almost 10 years prior.