Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more... discussion

D.M. Andrews
This topic is about D.M. Andrews
D.M. Andrews (December 24th, 2012)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 23, 2012 10:23PM) (new)

The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell, #1) by D.M. Andrews
The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell #1)
On his eleventh birthday Thomas Farrell is informed that the deceased father he never knew has provided for his education at Darkledun Manor, a school for gifted children. Thomas, however, feels he's just an ordinary boy, but Darkledun Manor proves to be anything but an ordinary school...

In this work of fiction the reader is transported into a world of myth as the young protagonist, Thomas Farrell, seeks to understand who his mysterious father was, and why he left him a strange glass orb containing a serpent. As the story progresses, Thomas and his friends become increasing caught up in a world they never knew existed - a world beyond the standing stones.

Pied and Prodigious by D.M. Andrews
Pied and Prodigious
'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a wife, must be in want of a good fortune.'

There is much excitement in Longlawn when two men with tall hats enter the district. Mothers buy new dresses for their daughters, fathers polish up on their fencing skills, and Mr Bayonet tackles the perilous journey through the stinging nettles to call upon the new occupants of Nettlefield Park.

The ditsy Jane Bayonet soon falls for Mr Blingley with all his gold jewellery, but her sister, the ever-prodigious Lizzy, very much dislikes Mr Blingley's friend, Mr Dicey, whose pied coat and tall hat strike fear into the local populace.

This is a story of excessive fashion, high heels, large wardrobes, tall hats - oh, and romance!

Author's Note: This book is an abridged light parody of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice', and runs to approximately 40,000 words

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 23, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

D.M. Andrews
Who are you?

I'm English and live in Jane Austen's Hertfordshire, although it's a bit more built-up these days and no one wears hats anymore, except the police and that's just to make them look taller - hmm, perhaps things haven't changed that much.

In addition to novels (usually fantasy), I enjoy reading books on Irish and Norse mythology, political philosophy, and Anglo-saxon history. I'm also a keen genealogist. Oh, and I've also been involved in modding (creating large-scale modifications of commercial game engines - hey, it's all world-building!)

What type of books do you write?

I like to write books that appeal to all confident readers. My books are clean, usually with a good bit of humour, and I don't restrict the sentence structure or vocabulary level even though children as young as seven may read them. My books would probably appeal to Harry Potter fans. Having said that, I do like to try new things, and so I also have a Pride and Prejudice parody published called Pied and Prodigious, which is very silly! I'm also working on a dystopian novel that I hope to finish in 2013 (I've another couple out first).

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I've been writing since I entered my youth, but my debut novel, The Serpent in the Glass, I began way back in 1997. I finished it in 2011 after much procrastination!

Where and when do you prefer to do your writing?

I find that I write best in the evening, when it's dark, and in the cooler months of the year. Unfortunately, this is also the time I like to read! :( Where? Away from noise and the Internet.

What inspired you to write your first book?

My first book was inspired from three sources: the legends and folklore surrounding Avebury in Wiltshire, as well as Carterhaugh Forest and the Eildon Hills in the Scottish borders; the exploits of Lugh of the Longarm from Irish myth (especially as told by fiction author Kenneth C. Flint); the works of British author Alan Garner (Moon of Gomrath, Weirdstone of Brisingamen, etc.).

My books are all set in the British Isles, and probably always will be. I don't write sci-fi much, but if I ever do produce a sci-fi novel one day it no doubt will also be set in the British Isles (somehow). I love the history, legends and landscape of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Tolkien, by far. Deep, rich, and timeless. Oh, and very British :) Tolkien's writing appeals to a lot of people. I think the messages and symbols he used are things people, knowingly or not, relate to and, perhaps, agree with.

How do you react to a bad/good review of one of your books?

The first thing I do is assign a task force of fans to locate the offending reviewer. Once located, a fan local to the reviewer infiltrates their home and glues the pages of their books together, re-arranges their fridge magnets, and leaves a free bookmark.

Kind reviews are a pleasure to read, and kind but critical ones are useful. The critical and unkind ones are a bit disappointing, but even the best authors and books get those. I think my best ones are those where a parent has conveyed how much their son or daughter liked the book. Those make my day ;) (though it also makes me happy to read that the parent read and enjoyed the book, too!)

What’s more important: characters or plot?

Ooh, I think characters are. I need to relate to the main characters when I read a story, though of course the plot cannot be entirely disassociated from character development.

If your book was made into a TV series or Movie, what actors would you like to see playing your characters?

Well, The Serpent in the Glass has eleven-year-olds as the main characters, so they'd be unknown new actors - but for the older characters I'd probably dip into the rich cast of Hogwarts' teachers or Downtown abbey's occupants. Come to think of it, Hugh Bonneville might make a very good Mr Trevelyan in a few years' time. They'd all have to be British actors, of course, because they can act ;)

Do you have any advice for other writers?

No, do they have any for me? ;) Seriously, I think writers should focus on telling a good engaging story, with good characters. Don't get too sidetracked by promoting and other stuff.

Will you have a new book coming out soon?

I've just finished a piece for the "A Splendid Salmagundi" anthology on GoodReads and Amazon, and am now half way through a YA novel that I hope to have finished by the end of 2012.

Can you leave us a quote from one of your books?

Connor laughed. ‘A powerful weapon, but every bit as dangerous to you as it is to me.’ Sneering, he fixed me with his dark eyes. ‘And now I think we’ll say goodbye to Elbegast, son of Oberon.’

Connor lifted his arms for one more strike and I knew it would kill me. I was going to die and I was too weak to do anything about it.

Then someone was standing next to me, the Answerer in their hands. It was Steph. How had she got free? It must’ve been Tom. Good Old Tom! Her green eyes flashed cold, mirroring the sword.

‘Leave him be,’ Steph said.

There was a menace in her voice I’d never heard before, and it seemed to me the sword had become as a shard of ice in her hands.

- Jack MacFadden and the Faerie Realm, a contemporary fantasy novella by D.M. Andrews

Where can we find your books?

Bins, charity shops, propping up uneven furniture, and - Oh, you mean to buy?

a. My blog: http://www.writers-and-publishers.com
b. My facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/dmandrewsauthor
c. My Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/DMAndrews
d. Twitter: http://twitter.com/AuthorDMAndrews
e. Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/D.M.-Andrews/...
h. Is your book in Print, ebook or both? Both. The print version is available from Amazon, waterstones, feedaread and most of the other big online booksellers. The link to the PoD site is http://www.feedaread.com/books/The-Se... The digital version is available (only at present) on Amazon Kindle.

Thank you for having me!

Addicted to Novels - YA Books and more...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Serpent in the Glass (other topics)
Pied and Prodigious (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

D.M. Andrews (other topics)