AfterEllen.com Book Club discussion

The Last Nude
This topic is about The Last Nude
December 2012 > The Last Nude: Second Half

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (last edited Dec 23, 2012 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill G. Herein lies the real whopper of this novel, the second half: personally, from the moment Rafaela spied Tamara with Ira, I couldn't stop reading. Were you surprised by Part Two, from Tamara's point of view? Did you enjoy it? What are your thoughts on Tamara in general--cold and manipulative bitch, or simply a tragic character who had to lie to herself to survive? What do you think really happened to Rafaela in the end?

Karen A. | 13 comments Having finished the book yesterday, I'm still trying to find the right words to explain what I think of it.
As a book per se, I'd definitely say that I liked it. At the beginning there were certain parts that I found a little bit slow or boring, but as I kept on reading, I started paying more attention to it.
As a character I disliked Tamara from the beginning, she was a snob and an awful manipulative bitch.I understand that Rafaela allowed her to be that way,at least when she was with her, but when you come to think of it she was just seventeen, and it was her first love, or "true love"

I was very surprised with Part Two (Tamara's point of view) but it didn't make me dislike her less.

What really shocked me is that it's inspired on a real person. Maybe it had been discussed before, but I had no idea that Tamara de Lempicka was an Art Deco painter.
And finally, what I think happened to Rafaela is that she died during the war.